how to pull off a denim jacket..

jschenkkan

Cheeps look doesnt really impress me, I think the black and different blue hues clash a little. the patterned shirt and v neck look cool though.

Id love a denim jacket, cant see me pulling one off though, I do think a print shirt would look good, some crazy simon carter or paul smith floral print, maybe with a cardie too. errr and a scarf, mix textures up!

my two cents..

DSC00032.JPG

Pretty much the only way I ever rock the denim tux... plenty of colour contrast, and neither piece has too much high contrast streaking. It got haptronic's seal of approval, so hey.

I think the important thing is to wear classic cut (type 1/2/3 jackets, and a big no to low rise and bootcuts) and colour (ie raw/worn in raw)... the worst denim tux attempts I see on the street are usually two pieces of prewashed denim with modern cut jeans.

Also, I'm doing the Sufu-approved breaking up with a hoody, and wearing retro kicks, keeping the whole fit in context. The last thing you want to do with a denim tux is throw things off by donning a pair of 90s/2000s Reeboks or something.

Sufu has definitely taught me a lot about bearing period and era in mind when combining pieces together. CMF pulls it off above... even though AW Grifters aren't strictly a retro cut, the straight leg and raw tone keeps them in context with the rest of the fit. If he slapped on a pair of modern kicks or a pair of Zathans the whole outfit would be fucked.

I agree on thinking about keeping the context of the pieces in mind. Its one of my main points in putting together outfits, to have everything go together. In theory, doing anachronistic things could be cool, but it seems very hard to pull off in reality.

(btw, my jeans isnt pinrolled, they are just rather tapered.)

I didn´t mind!

I wonder how many others think about context of clothing. The WDWT thread says both yes and no..

Shoes are the most difficult to get right imo, and theres a big risk I just end up in chucks which feels like it works with most outfit (the outfit posted above would probably look right with some neutral colored chucks)

I wonder how many others think about context of clothing. The WDWT thread says both yes and no..

i like the way others put together oufits which take into account the providence of the garments... the historical context of clothing as it were...although just because i may understand traditional pairings...does not mean i am inclined to abide by them myself...

imo raw denim jackets are wack and played out... especially if paired with similar jeans. u need a nice vintage wash and of course a slim fit. pair it with anything but blue jeans, black skinnies the best. distress them a little, hell even cut off those arms for a sick summer vest look, wear a bright T underneath...

I didn´t mind!

Shoes are the most difficult to get right imo, and theres a big risk I just end up in chucks which feels like it works with most outfit (the outfit posted above would probably look right with some neutral colored chucks)

Cons are fine... thing is them and all the other rubber-toed canvas shoes like PF, Dunlop etc have been kicking around in some shape or form since the 1930s or so, and have been pretty perenially in fashion in every decade since then, so they're the ultimate 'safe bet'. Same goes for things like Adidas Gazelles and Nike Blazers, both of which have about 35+ years under their belt, taking you right back to the 70s.

^^

sure is a nice look. The grey denim makes it pretty safe though :)

yea, that´s what I ment. Chucks/purcells and such are so simple and has such a long history they work with influnces from almost any era. I should get some more...

Are PF that old as well? I really would like some of those 40s chucks Airfrogmc posted..with the rubber nose having "waffles".

i like the way others put together oufits which take into account the providence of the garments... the historical context of clothing as it were...although just because i may understand traditional pairings...does not mean i am inclined to abide by them myself...

Gonnna crawl up your arse im afraid, one of the things I love about your outfits is the mad juxtaposition of different eras, like full wingtips with aprill77, or a waistcoat with a, untucked tee.

I think if I was to buy a denim jacket id get one of sugarcanes persimmon dyed ones, a work jacket rather than a type123 blue one.