Some cool, distressed denim

hawkeye

Paul T ,

Thankyou for this great link !!!

In an post a few days ago I mentioned the allure of denim to myself , ie US 30/40/50s workwear and teen culture . Seeing such vivid pictures of the clothing that so many of us go to great lengths to find , afford and discuss reproductions of is incredible . I am not a US citizen/resident so my only exposure to the culture which was idolized by my parents and passed onto myself (40/50/60s American rock'n'roll , blues , c+w) has been through tv . Geuniely inspiring pictures (not tv / mass produced Americana) which just cement my affinity with the fashions from those era .

You gotta love those original Levis popping up in so many pics . One other thing , how many of the jeans are dark blue !!

• 2 weeks later...

Just joined this site, and gotta say i'm utterly drooling over those pics. Some f'king fantastic shots.

It's different that PaulT's source.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/fsahtml/fahome.html, This is the Library of Congress site, which I've gotten a bunch of these photos from. Ive also seached for other sites with Jack Deleno and Russell Lee who have some of the better photos on the LOC site. There are lots of librarys that have digital collections, just gotta sort through a lot of stuff, but I like that sort of thing.

They look great Hawkeye. I stupidly didn't credit the source of my second lot of photos, I will look back, edit and credit it when I have a moment, as I suggest everyone else does (Edit: I've done it now, the other shots were Libray of Congress, see below, and Hawkeye's ref).

Incidentally, haven't checked but I would advise NO ONE loads and links to these pix onto photobucket or their own hosting sites - just link to the original source. SF is less likely to get copyright hassles, which might happen if the photos come from a commercial site. Library of Congress photos are generally non-copyright but most other sources will have copyright of the photos.

And, when I have a moment, I am going to take note of all of these, if we do another edition of Denim we might be able to add more shots. If we do, you all get a credit for extra photo-research!

Edit; I've added captions on the Library of Congress photos that I linked to. Both those and the Cushman ones should be fine, as this use is educational and non-commercial. But it's more polite to credit the source... Lord, I love the Library of Congress, who these days would think to get true artists to document working people on the government dollar...

Once again, for anyone who wants to look thru this brilliant site, the Library of Congress archives are at:

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/awlhtml/awlwork.html

there are movies, too.

The Cushman archive is linked on the first page of this thread.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dorothea Lange pics are my personal favorite.

People might also be interested in this book: FSA the American Vision

(wich is rediculously cheap on Amazon.us right now, do they ship overzeas aswell as I was considering getting it here for about 100 euros, or will shipping kill me then?)

This thread is incredible. I have been mesmerised by these pictures, it made me go through my Cone Mills and Paul T's book again.

What Cone Mills book do you have? Found?

Nice choices, Hawkeye. Is there a date for the Hine photo? I guess if we wore jeans like that these days people would think we were going for an 80s vibe. Look great tho.

Don't believe there are any Levi's waist overalls with pliers pocket like that so I guess someone used the arcuate. Sue 'em I say!

Edit: only just noticed the Dorothea Lange Rolleiflex shot of the kid. Absolutely stunning.