Super Cooking (Recipes, Menus, Food & Wine)

Tyro1

I have no entry, but I did play around with chocolate a few days ago. The method is from heston blumenthal, and i figured since I had the equipment, I would try it out

Melt white chocolate, add in green tea powder

Add in oil for a more fluid consistency

Quickly pour into a warm whipped cream canister

Quickly charge with 3 N2O charges

Dispense into container

Use a vacuum pump to suck the air out of the container

Watch as the chocolate rises like a souffle

Put it in the freezer to harden

Result:

Fancy Aero

dsc6350assmartobject1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I have no entry, but I did play around with chocolate a few days ago. The method is from heston blumenthal, and i figured since I had the equipment, I would try it out

Melt white chocolate, add in green tea powder

Add in oil for a more fluid consistency

Quickly pour into a warm whipped cream canister

Quickly charge with 3 N2O charges

Dispense into container

Use a vacuum pump to suck the air out of the container

Watch as the chocolate rises like a souffle

Put it in the freezer to harden

Result:

Fancy Aero

dsc6350assmartobject1.jpg

That looks really fantastic. The color from the matcha is fantastic.

I wish I had more time to cook lately, but this semester is getting insane very quickly. I've just been doing shit like making big pots of stew so that I can freeze servings and have them ready to go whenever I want.

Not that there's anything wrong with stew...

stew is good. what meat have you been using?

Just some regular beef stew meat for this last batch (mixed it up a bit with some butternut squash and added some pumpkin purée to the broth...I love winter squash).

Before that I made some more great buffalo chili with some nice local ground bison from the farmers market. It has such a nice flavor.

i never had much interest in risotto until i read all of giorgio locatelli's recipes and stories about it. and now i'm raring to have a go at it... today's chicken stock is in little frozen cubes in the freezer now. i'm thinking maybe porcini, or saffron, or walnut and aubergine.

move over, jamie oliver

51g0OIlJ0GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

i guess italian food is my equivalent of mis' molecular gastronomy obsession :o

i never had much interest in risotto until i read all of giorgio locatelli's recipes and stories about it. and now i'm raring to have a go at it... today's chicken stock is in little frozen cubes in the freezer now. i'm thinking maybe porcini, or saffron, or walnut and aubergine.

move over, jamie oliver

51g0OIlJ0GL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

i guess italian food is my equivalent of mis' molecular gastronomy obsession :o

http://www.dailyunadventuresincooking.com/2009/10/squash-risotto-with-blue-cheese-and.html

I've never made risotto either, but that sounds awesome. Hard squash, blue cheese, and fried sage? Yes please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
most recent episode of Top Chef is off the wall, mini bocuse d'or is always a win. remarkable and inspiring stuff from all 5 chefs, no matter the mistakes made.

It was easily the best episode of this season.

And I'm pretty sure that Kevin is my favorite chef from any season.

I am making a cheesecake for a thanksgiving pot luck thing on sunday, and my oven is terrible at holding a steady temp...wish me luck. I'm going to try to get a stone before baking, but not sure it will be possible.

If I'm posting in the wrong thread, let me know and I'll delete :x I don't want to interrupt any of those competitions but it looked like the thread became kind of a general food discussion.

Over the summer I did a culinary internship at Bad Gleichenberg school of Hospitality in Austria, here's some random pictures of shit we threw together or ate. If you've got any question as to what any of it is, I'll try my best to remember and if anyone cares or is interested, I could upload some pictures of banquets I've done at school/for work.

8xpgqt.jpg

10zof1v.jpg

2gwhl05.jpg

24mcavm.jpg

34t1wkg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

13968_219404745352_508995352_3672559_6448830_n.jpg

cocktail: shot of 'prosciutto e melone'

prosciutto di parma, honeydew purée with gin and pepper, served with a hit of mint

every single italian friend has commented that this is a travesty...but it works!

13968_219404755352_508995352_3672560_1342428_n.jpg

starter: broccoli and stilton soup

topped with toasted florets ('popcorn' a la michael voltaggio)

spent all evening yesterday making the vegetable stock for this, definitely worth it

13968_219404770352_508995352_3672561_2500793_n.jpg

main: 'aubergine two ways'

aubergine and lemon risotto served with aubergine tempura and shoyu-mirin reduction

grilled and pulped aubergine used in the risotto, smokiness went well against the light tempura. used the sauce to further link the lemon in the risotto and tempura

13968_219404775352_508995352_3672562_4582590_n.jpg

dessert: stewed pears

13968_219404730352_508995352_3672558_6399644_n.jpg

outtake: pears stewing...

went easy on the pears, the stewing liquid is red wine and sugar and whatever sweet/fragrant things you can get your hands on - cinnamon, vanilla pods, bay leaves, thyme, etc. lift the pears out when they're the texture you want and refrigerate, then reduce the liquid if you want a sauce to go with.

it's canned whipped cream on the side