Baseball Talk

kiya

If you haven't read the lengthy New Yorker piece on Manny, you should. You can print it out and read it on the can.

When I asked his teammate David Ortiz, himself a borderline folk hero, how he would describe Ramirez, he replied, “As a crazy motherfucker.†Then he pointed at my notebook and said, “You can write it down just like that: ‘David Ortiz says Manny is a crazy motherfucker.’

If you haven't read the lengthy New Yorker piece on Manny, you should. You can print it out and read it on the can.

I agree, really interesting read. The mail guy at my work had math class with him in High School, said he wasnt the best student.

This should make for another interesting winter cause they arent going to trade him this season.

Free Agents 09

Left fielders

Moises Alou (42)

Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout

Milton Bradley (31)

Emil Brown (34)

Pat Burrell (32)

Adam Dunn (29)

Cliff Floyd (36) - $2.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout

Luis Gonzalez (41)

Raul Ibanez (37)

Kevin Mench (31)

Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09

Craig Monroe (32)

Jay Payton (36)

Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09

Manny Ramirez (37) - $20MM club option for '09

Juan Rivera (30)

I guess they could pick up Dunn or Burrell, I'd rather see Bay or Holliday..

alou, done. anderson, near done and no obp. bradley, classic contract year. emil brown, i won't even comment. burrell, see bradley. dunn, underrated obp and powermachine, need mets to kop.

I agree, really interesting read. The mail guy at my work had math class with him in High School, said he wasnt the best student.

This should make for another interesting winter cause they arent going to trade him this season.

Free Agents 09

Left fielders

Moises Alou (42)

Garret Anderson (37) - $14MM club option for '09 with a $3MM buyout

Milton Bradley (31)

Emil Brown (34)

Pat Burrell (32)

Adam Dunn (29)

Cliff Floyd (36) - $2.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout

Luis Gonzalez (41)

Raul Ibanez (37)

Kevin Mench (31)

Jason Michaels (33) - $2.6MM club option for '09

Craig Monroe (32)

Jay Payton (36)

Wily Mo Pena (27) - $5MM club option or $2MM player option for '09

Manny Ramirez (37) - $20MM club option for '09

Juan Rivera (30)

I guess they could pick up Dunn or Burrell, I'd rather see Bay or Holliday..

NYTimes:

The Red Sox are undertaking the difficult chore of trying to trade an unhappy Manny Ramirez, but the slugger will not be headed to Philadelphia. The Phillies have been mentioned as a possible landing spot for Ramirez, who has strong relationship with Manager Charlie Manuel, but Philadelphia General Manager Pat Gillick harpooned the idea on Monday.

“At this point, there’s no interest on our part,†said Gillick, in a telephone interview. “We have no place to play the guy.â€

Pat Burrell, the Phillies’ left fielder, is batting .277 with 26 homers, 61 runs batted in, a .400 on base percentage and a .585 slugging percentage. Burrell’s statistics are close to Ramirez, who is hitting .302 with 19 homers, 65 R.B.I., .400 O.B.P. and has a .531 slugging percentage.

In addition, Burrell is not as divisive a personality as Ramirez, who has infuriated Red Sox ownership with his antics. Ramirez complained that the Red Sox were not forthright about his $20 million contract option in 2009 and he subsequently sat out two games with a mysterious knee injury.

“Burrell has to play left field and I don’t think Ramirez has played right field in seven or eight years,†Gillick said.

The Mets and the Phillies are not interested in acquiring Ramirez, and the Red Sox do not want to trade him to an American League team because they do not want Ramirez to end up hurting them this season. It seems more and more probable that Ramirez will remain with the Red Sox for the rest of the season.

So, Holliday is signed through 2009??

I thought he was a free agent at the end of the season.

nope, next:

Matt Holliday of

2 years/$23M (2008-09)

• re-signed 1/18/08 (avoided arbitration)
  • 08:$9.5M, 09:$13.5M

Dosent look like the Rockies will be sellers this season either, but they wanted some really good prospects for a releiver, I cant imagine what they would ask for for Holliday.

Bay is signed through '09 too, it might be worth it to pick up Manny's 09 option then sign one of those guys for '10

That's what I'm thinking will happen, but I don't know if Manny and the Sox management can handle another year.

Who knows. This could all blow over by September.

I really think Manny just needs to shut up and play. He's making $20 million a year. He's really slapping the management, coaches, teammates (sorry Youk!) and fans in the face with his antics.

That's what I'm thinking will happen, but I don't know if Manny and the Sox management can handle another year.

Who knows. This could all blow over by September.

I really think Manny just needs to shut up and play. He's making $20 million a year. He's really slapping the management, coaches, teammates (sorry Youk!) and fans in the face with his antics.

It's almost becoming a yearly tradition for this soap-opera. For some reason I doubt they will trade Manny, he'll still put up the numbers he does. Question is, for all the antics would you want him on your favorite team?

Watched the Orioles slap the Yanks, the Cubs beat the Brewers. Cubs at Milwaukee was a great game. I haven't seen an atmosphere that electric in Miller Park for a long time. Reed Johnson's hard slide into second was pretty much key. And Rickie Weeks continues to disappoint... I don't understand why he can't get it going at all for the past few years.

Surprise surprise.......

The News

The Mets have publicly denied interest in Manny Ramirez, but Dan Graziano of the Newark Star-Ledger reports that officials from both teams say the Mets have contacted the Red Sox about acquiring the pouting slugger. The Mets are reluctant to part with a top-flight prospect, though, which obviously hinders a potential deal.

Our View

It's very unlikely the Sox will trade Manny anywhere, but the Mets seem likely the most likely destination should it happen.

Angels trade Kotchman for Teixeira.

Big move for the Angels for this season, but unless they win the WS or resign Teixeira it's not a great move.

Kotchman is younger, and had some upside. He's a guy that'll give you a .280 avg, 20 HR, 80 RBI a season.

Teixeira, unless they resign him, is in town for the final 2 months of the season and the playoffs.

Reports said that the Braves offered Teixeira to the Red Sox for Youkilis and Hansen. Good no trade by Theo, IMO.

I fucking hate the god-damn Twins.

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate.

God Dammit.

-Jake

Angels trade Kotchman for Teixeira.

Big move for the Angels for this season, but unless they win the WS or resign Teixeira it's not a great move.

Kotchman is younger, and had some upside. He's a guy that'll give you a .280 avg, 20 HR, 80 RBI a season.

Teixeira, unless they resign him, is in town for the final 2 months of the season and the playoffs.

Reports said that the Braves offered Teixeira to the Red Sox for Youkilis and Hansen. Good no trade by Theo, IMO.

Braves got the better end of the deal IMO, they get to control Kotchman for the next 3 years. He'll develop well against NL pitching.

Guest No Handclaps Please

the angels legitimized their lineup with teixeira. its about time they had some power in the middle. i only see vlads numbers improving at this point, and teixeira being behind him can only help.

WOW.

His best days are well behind him, but still.

I can't believe they got Nady, Marte, and Rodriguez AND got rid of Farnsworth!

Clearly money is no object to the Yankees, so it's only a couple mill more to get Rodriguez, and it's just a rental for the end of the season. Nice move by Cashman.

I wonder if Theo will make a trade now. He's not the type of guy that makes a trade just to make a trade, but the Red Sox definitely have some issues to address if they want to compete with the Yankees and Rays.

I can't understand what the hell the Tigers were thinking. Farnsworth?

Since no one in this thread gives a shit about the AL Central I can answer that question. The tigers are fucked. They gave up anyone who would be a remotely decent starting pitcher for guys like Dontrelle Willis who's currently playing single A ball and Edgar Renteria who is non-existant this season.

You can expect Farnsworth to get thrown right into the rotation and be a guy they're going to rely on for the rest of 2008 to do something out there

Pudge is nothing special anyways, Brandon Inge can do whatever Pudge can put for 4 million dollars less.