Baseball Talk

kiya

I think Manny will be gone at the end of the season.

The Red Sox should pick up his option year and then try to trade him for some prospects, and then try to sign somone like Matt Holliday. The production won't be as good, but literally anyone is an upgrade defensively and the nonsense will be over.

If the Sox pick up the option and can't trade Manny, well then you've got to deal with him for one more year. Not such a bad thing, considering he's one of the best hitters in the game.

I think most teams would prefer to have Manny for 1-2 years at $20 million a season, rather than sign him to a 4-5 year $80-90 million contract, which is probably what he'd get on the open market.

I just think the Red Sox management has finally had enough of Manny's antics. He's a great hitter, but he's pushed the Red Sox to the breaking point and they're done with him.

I'll miss his swing - his stroke to the opposite field is a thing of beauty, but he's got to go.

just another reason not to live in pittsburgh. far as manny, it is hard to argue with tradingone of the 4-5 best right handed hitters ever but all his bullshit and daring management to trade him is out of control. I think there are several players who could match his CURRENT production. the holliday idea is a good one. though i'd like to see the mets sign him.

You gotta be kidding me...

The Yankees get Nady and Marte for practically nothing.

Thanks a lot Pittsburgh,you salary dumping motherfuckers!!

the red sox have practically tried to give away manny before without any takers but i could see him ending up as a Met..Omar has a hard on for him........

i like holliday but his stats are heavily padded by playing in colorado

take him away from all those games Co, i think he's offensively moer like a hideki matsui......300 hitter, 25 hrs and 100 rbis

i agree with all of this. manny being on the wrong side of 35 and hispanic makes him a mortal lock for the mets.

but even if holliday's stats go down, he has no charisma and boyish good looks. that will give us 2 of those types to compete with jeter.

the red sox have practically tried to give away manny before without any takers but i could see him ending up as a Met..Omar has a hard on for him........

take him away from all those games Co, i think he's offensively moer like a hideki matsui......300 hitter, 25 hrs and 100 rbis

for no easily understood reason, my son is a brewers fan. turns out he was just ahead of the curve.

oh, and zambrano is overrated. sabathia/sheets, they are goooood.

Hate to break all the nyc/bosox sports chatter but the Cubs vs. Brewers series is THE series to watch this week...

Hate to break all the nyc/bosox sports chatter but the Cubs vs. Brewers series is THE series to watch this week...

As a White Sox fan I am far more interested in the Sox vs Twins series this week. 4 games of fingernail chewing agony. I hate the fucking Twins.

for no easily understood reason, my son is a brewers fan. turns out he was just ahead of the curve.

Enjoy Sabathia for 1-year, Sheets while he is healthy for the moment

Miller Park however is probably one of the most beautiful parks I've ever been to. Great beer, food, atmosphere

Insert rebuttal eluding to Cubs 100-year drought, Kerry Wood's DL stint, Z's anger issues, Wrigley field is a dump, Cubs lack of hitting here --->

i like the brewers when i was a kid too...think it was the mitt on the hats and teams with vukovich and robin yount

what kid wouldnt like a team with a big fat guy named prince (modern day Casey at the Bat)

Zambrano is a solid number 2, specially with CC infront of him.

I need Wood to get back and start closing games...he's hurting both of my fantasy teams.......

Enjoy Sabathia for 1-year, Sheets while he is healthy for the moment

Miller Park however is probably one of the most beautiful parks I've ever been to. Great beer, food, atmosphere

Insert rebuttal eluding to Cubs 100-year drought, Kerry Wood's DL stint, Z's anger issues, Wrigley field is a dump, Cubs lack of hitting here --->

Never been to Miller Park, but I've heard nothing but good things about going to games there. I miss the Brewers in the American League.

i actually think the brewers are a lot of fun to watch, i just never understood how he randomly became a fan.

c.c. is a fat fuck, so i'd be terrified to sign him long-term, but he's kind of making a believer out of me.

yes, as far as the cubs, i'll believe it when i see it, though pinella as opposed to baker certainly puts them in better position. it's just their everyday players i have not much faith in.

The market has gone crazy since Manny was put on waivers a few seasons ago. $20 million a year isn't that bad considering what some other teams are paying lesser players. But if they don't think they can trade him at $20 million a year, then perhaps they'll just let him walk and try to sign someone younger for less money.

I definitely agree that Holliday reaps the benefits of playing in Colorado, but you've also got to consider that Coors isn't quite as friendly to hitters as it once was (still great hitters park) and Fenway is a hitter's park as well. A couple weeks ago, I'd have said that the Red Sox would stick it out with Manny. Now, I think they'll make a push for Holliday. They could offer him a lot more than anyone else. Probably a $90/6 year deal.

with soriano back in that cubs lineup...its pretty damn sick....

Only when he makes contact... it still irks me that he's batting leadoff. Dare I say that Pinella is a bit Dusty-ish in giving into players demands?

I agree with the notion that I'll believe it when I see it, I am a realistic Cubs fan after years of heartbreak. But I am more content with the current lineup than years past. They just really need to get back into their comfort zone, I think they are trying to swing for the fences more rather than relying on their natural base-hitting style that carried them through the first half.

As awesome as Sabathia has been, Harden has been just as impressive 3 starts with 10K's each, 3 ER's total. It bothers the hell out of me that he can't get a win and the fact that he is a strikeout pitcher, which means we'll never have any complete games like Sabathia, and hand over the game to the likes of Homerun Howry (yeesh what a mess)

Only when he makes contact... it still irks me that he's batting leadoff. Dare I say that Pinella is a bit Dusty-ish in giving into players demands?

I agree with the notion that I'll believe it when I see it, I am a realistic Cubs fan after years of heartbreak. But I am more content with the current lineup than years past. They just really need to get back into their comfort zone, I think they are trying to swing for the fences more rather than relying on their natural base-hitting style that carried them through the first half.

As awesome as Sabathia has been, Harden has been just as impressive 3 starts with 10K's each, 3 ER's total. It bothers the hell out of me that he can't get a win and the fact that he is a strikeout pitcher, which means we'll never have any complete games like Sabathia, and hand over the game to the likes of Homerun Howry (yeesh what a mess)

The other problem with Harden is he's made of tissue paper. I agree that he's fantastic when he's healthy (I have the man on my Fantasy roster after all) but if you expect him to go complete games, expect him to make a 7th(?) trip to the DL. For all that arm trouble, I'd rather have Sabathia or Halladay, and not have to worry about calling on my pen.

i really hate derek lee and i'm not sure why. and do you think aramis was named after the cologne?

Maybe because he's SO damn good? Haha not really, I hate how he can't get a hit with RISP.

Ramirez is in such a bad funk (no pun intended) and I think epitomizes the reason why the Cubs can't get any hitting going.

The other problem with Harden is he's made of tissue paper. I agree that he's fantastic when he's healthy (I have the man on my Fantasy roster after all) but if you expect him to go complete games, expect him to make a 7th(?) trip to the DL. For all that arm trouble, I'd rather have Sabathia or Halladay, and not have to worry about calling on my pen.

In total agreement, his arm is definitely a liability - but I'd like to see him induce more groundball outs, use less pitches - be more efficient so he doesn't have to rely so much on the strikeout. No disagreement - I rather have Sabathia even Halladay

If i were not a Mets fan, I would likely be a Cubs fan.....

i <3 those lovable loser teams!!

And i think Holliday could fit in nicely in Boston

You and me both DD, gotta love collapses :) Live and die by it.

Holliday to BoSox would be SICK

In total agreement, his arm is definitely a liability - but I'd like to see him induce more groundball outs, use less pitches - be more efficient so he doesn't have to rely so much on the strikeout. No disagreement - I rather have Sabathia even Halladay

The one other thing that would make me nervous as a Cubs fan - when you look at all the "ace" pitchers Beane's let go of in Oakland - none of them have been as dominant after they left (Zito's been downright awful, Mulder - well, he's probably done). He seems to know when a pitcher has given their best stuff. So far, Harden's been excellent, but I personally am nervous.

I agree - the type of pitcher he is somewhat of a liability in Wrigley but, when you are as good (when he's healthy) as he is, I'd hate to mess with his stuff to try to get him to induce groundballs. I read that they don't let him throw off a mound when taking warm ups and also they've restricted the number of warm up throws he gets; apparently, fastball pitchers don't need as many repetitions to get loose as control guys? Doesn't make sense to me, but it's working for Harden. Point is - mess with that, and he could quickly get injured (AGAIN).

-Jake

BTW I finally had a chance to go to Shea last month when I was visiting NYC vs. Diamondbacks. I seriously had a tear in my eye watching all the great moments at Shea between innings. I couldn't imagine Wrigley undergoing the same fate.

That was a crazy game especially when it felt like a tornado descended in and watching Wagner (or was it Wright) anchor down the tarp on the field.