Baseball Talk

kiya

And how about those Nationals??? They've made some pretty sly moves lately. Pena, Milledge, and Dukes all have great upside.

Milledge has a gun for an arm...and def has upside. He's a "flashier" player than the Mets need, especially with all the other younger players that are susceptible to that kind of stuff. I like what the Mets got for him though....Church (good defense and lefty bat) has upside and Schneider (a good defensive catcher) are both alot more stable than Milledge and I think the Mets need some stability, especially after their collapse.

some tense few hours here surrounding johan.

I've been on the edge of my seat all morning! You guys got Pettite back though, congratulations, I like Andy Pettite a lot actually.

Funny that John Farell says Jon Lester could be the #2 guy next year and the interest from the Twins apparently shifts from Ellsbury to Lester. I like Lester, but I dont think hes a #2 guy, not yet at least, and Ellsbury is pretty much a toss up with Crisp, Ellsbury has the edge cause he is more interesting to watch ( I cant stand Crisp's stance, the chin on shoulder thing creeps me out), I think Coco would just assume go, pressure is too much for him in Boston I think.

Tigers are going to kill next year, and the Marlins look like dookie at this point.

I feel bad for their roster, it's not a pretty sight right now.

A's need to get rid of Street and find a solid vet hitter that's going to stay with the team for more than one season.

I find this a little hard to believe. Everything I've read points to the Rays having a weak farm, especially when it comes to major league-ready pitching. They wouldn't have traded Delmon Young if they didn't have a great need for a young pitcher behind Kazmir and Shields.

I'm not sure where you heard that. Kazmir, Shields, Sonnanstine, Garza, Hammel, Howell, and Jackson is one hell of a major league staff. Add to that Jeff Niemann, Jake McGee, Wade Davis, Chris Mason, and last year's number one overall pick David Price, and the Rays have more pitching than anyone in the league. Last season they struck out more per nine than any other staff (not including bullpen), and that was with Fossum and Seo each pitching a few. Their pitching looked bad last year because of their defense, one of the all-time worst at the major league level.

In another unpopular opinion, I feel the Marlins came out ahead today. Andrew Miller is going to absolutely KILL in the NL, and Maybin is going to be excellent as well. No doubt Miggy Cabrera will continue to rake for Detroit, but his defense is atrocious, so depending on where they play him, they'll be giving some or plenty back. Willis is pretty much done as a top quality major league pitcher and has been operating on hype for a few seasons, but he'll be decent in the back end of a rotation. He's a definite downgrade from Miller, though. Granted, Detroit didn't need more cheap young pitching, so it's not like they get shafted there. Some very cool trades in the last week.

Tigers are going to kill next year, and the Marlins look like dookie at this point.

I feel bad for their roster, it's not a pretty sight right now.

The Marlins are better than you think, and in 1-2 years, they're going to be very, very good. Anyone they put at 3B is not going to be as big of a downgrade as one might expect, because almost anyone is better with the glove than Miguel Cabrera.

This whole 'Johan' situation is getting a little ridiculous.

I can't believe the Twins haven't pulled the trigger on the Sox 5 for 1 offer. (The Sox do realize they still would have to pay Santana $150 mil, right?)

As much as I'd love to have Johan for the Sox, at this point, I'd be happy just to keep Johan away from the Yankees and have him remain a Twin for the next year.

I continue to stick to my previous feelings that any trade involving Ellsbury or Buchholz is a bad trade.

meh.. we werent healthy really, jermey bonderman was hurt coming off the all star break and pitched through it, chef didnt stay on the DL long enough to let himself heal and we still made a decent run.

Detriots got a lot of depth now, and who knows -> the trade is obviously going to better them for 2008, but Maybin and Miller have tremendous potential.

Detroit Tigers have too much character to crap out like the Yankees have in recent years..

my guess would be yes.

but guillen and pudge might be the x-factors.

Tigers were definitely one of the best teams in baseball last year, but they faded down the stretch.

I think they are one of the top contenders going into this season, but I don't know how well Dontrelle will fare against AL hitting.

I agree, who knows how Dontrelle or Cabrera will do in the AL, Rentaria had a tough time in the AL when he came to Boston, and isnt Sheff like 40? I know they'll be very good, but you never know.

^^^^That's a lot to bet on one bad year!!!

Josh Beckett:

“It doesn’t matter to me,†said Beckett yesterday, fresh off his first full-fledged workout of the offseason. “I make plenty of money. I’m starting Opening Day, though.â€

“It doesn’t matter to me. It makes no difference,†Beckett said. “There are a lot of people who make more money than me who I had better years than. I’m happy where I’m at.â€

“I can’t even think about it right now. It hasn’t even happened. I have no control over it,†he said. “If it happens I’ll probably have a little more emotion about it. I don’t have much now.â€

“You know how much I care about Jon Lester, but at the same time it’s a business and we’re in the business of winning baseball games,†he said. “Jon Lester has a lot of stuff in front of him. They have to make that decision. I’m glad I don’t have to make those decisions because I’m the type of personality where I would let those emotions get in the way, and hold on to a player because I like them. We have people who make those decisions who obviously don’t have the same personality that I do.

“Everybody has to understand that this is a business and the Red Sox are in the business of winning. It doesn’t matter who it is. If they think of trading someone everybody has to understand that. I’ll still talk to Jon Lester. I’m not saying I want them to trade Jon Lester for Johan Santana, but if the Red Sox think that’s what they need to do to put themselves in the best position to win, that’s what they need to do.â€

and especially if this turns out to be true.

man, between guys like beckett, manny and schilling, the writers in boston will never run out of things to write.

"How do you spell C-U-R-A-C-A-O?"

AROD = SLUMLORD!!!!!!!!!!!!

“My mom comes here and she ain’t no rich person, but she thinks I live in the projects,†said Miguel Ruiz as he sat on the second-floor landing of Building 2-A on a recent Sunday afternoon. “She’s scared to come over here, for real.â€

“See, stuff like that, with kids around, it’s messed up here,†Ruiz said, adding, “Honestly, I was raised in a ghetto and I was brought up a little better than this.â€

Ahh, I love it, what an asshole! But as I'm typing this I know karma is going to bite all us Red Sox fans in the ass when he buys the Sox in 30 years and levels Fenway. :(

Oh my god.. I had no idea A-Rod owned all that shit in Florida..