Cords?

viv1984viv

OK, so I know this SuperDenim but as my girl wisely pointed out to me the other day...."there is a time and place for jeans". She also added that she loves me in cords. Now, I know the timing of this thread isnt the greatest seeing as everyone's eyeing up linen and lighter weight denim for the summer, but I thought a discussion about cords and corduroy wouldnt go amiss. I couldnt find a dedicated thread or tag, and seeing as other gentlemanly topics are discussed in SuperDenim i thought a cords thread would be ok too!

So are there any japanese brands out there making cool cord trousers or jeans?? I initially looked to 45rpm but couldnt find any, I know apc used to make a pair, im sure lots of brands do, but it would be good to get an idea of what the opitions are. The summer will be over in a flash and cords are great with boots and fallen leaves...

Please post your cords or links to rakuten/brands websits that have nice cords or whatever.

Needlepoint or regular??? ;-)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i own a pair of green vintage levi's cords from the '60s. white tab, slim fit, low rise and talon zipper. since it's not so well-known nor coveted, they aren't expensive, either. i highly recommend it. i would wear more of them myself if i wasn't so deeply into denim.

i own a pair of green vintage levi's cords from the '60s. white tab, slim fit, low rise and talon zipper. since it's not so well-known nor coveted, they aren't expensive, either. i highly recommend it. i would wear more of them myself if i wasn't so deeply into denim.

see that is exactly what id like from a japanese brand.

exactly - im surprised that all these levi homage brands dont make cords seeing as levi have made em for so long.

Cant find any cords on nudies website at the mo by the way.

I have some beautiful cords by howies, jeans, carpenter cut, brown, organic cotton, real nice. Ill post pics when I can get my cords but that wont be till term starts again.

If you don't mind a higher rise I like vintage levi's 519 and 517s. Levi's vintage bootcut cords are so minor that it almost looks like a straight leg, and 519s are just a great fit all around (straight and fairly slim). If I wanted a bit lower rise though, I'd probably go for some April 77s, their cords seem pretty nice.

Thanks guys, the john bull cords look nice, very nice. Thanks for the search chicken! What should I search for? Is there a japanese name for cord?? When I search "cord" on rakuten nothing comes up. The warehouse ones are really nice too! With the red tab and all :-)

it's a little tricky, but corduroy in japanese is either コーデュロイ or コーディロイ (notice the slight difference in the fourth characters).

then if you add パンツ (pants) to it, it will help narrow your search.

you could even add スリム (slim) to really narrow your search, too.

please post some photos if you decide to get any of them. :D

Chicken- Well im not too keen on bootcut, the 5010 cut in cord would be cool though, perfect. The warehouse ones are very nice, shame they are in 28 only. Your tips on searching are superhelpful, although all ive found so far are these levi :

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/outlet/06-502/

and some numbernines..... whats the word for mens??? I just tryed adding it into the search in english but nothing came up.

yup.

it's pretty convenient to learn at least katakana when you're shopping for clothes from japanese stores, eh.

but i think corduroy would be difficult to find nonetheless.

if anyone can find a really nice corduroy jacket that doesn't give off a nerdy professor vibe, keep us posted!

oh, i found these edwins for 16500yen

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/edwinshop/812557/901856/#810810

criticisms?

they're not bootcut, which i like.

The edwins are nice but if I could have any pair it would probably be warehouse ones, I might go on a mission to get some after the summer, especially if APC dont make any next season. I wouldnt buy dior because I think the price is too high.

The edwins have a zip fly which isnt too great but they do have a nice 21cm hem on the 30w's, I prefer my hems to be 8inch or less if possible..

It just occured to me, wouldnt it be marvellous if samurai made some uber-heavy thick cosy cords??? Mmmmm... and Sugarcane could make some nice cords in that wonderful 47cut with persimmon or green tea dyed cotton...mmmmmm. Yeah, im a dreamer.

If shinichi is listening I think a corduroy 5010 or 5507 would definately sell ;-)

• 1 month later...

Firstly - pandemonium - I think sugar cane may do corduroy type 3 jackets, im not sure, ive seen someone doing them.

Secondly..... so my samurai cords came! (Whoop), they fit pretty tight, which is good for me, they look very fitted and touchable. However, I presumed they would be 100% cotton, they are not....

IMG_0446.jpg

so can anyone tell me what the other 15% is?

Ive tryed putting various fabrics into a English-Japanese translator but altavista doesnt know anything ( polyester, silk, wool, nylon ) and google translate makes Safari crash (hmph).... so if someone could help me out, ill offer rep.

V to da I to da V

http://66.249.91.104/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://item.rakuten.co.jp/2nd/sj-s0510-co/

sorry, forgot to post the link in my initial post.

If you are going to buy them, bear in mind they fit very true to size, these are rather snug compared to my s5000bk ( that take many washes to shrinnk down to tag size, and stretch alot too! )

Ill post some pics up later, i dont have time at the mo, the cord is very soft and velvety ( if you know what I mean ), I think they will be quite cosy in the winter...... ive bought them at totally the wrong time of year really!