Cuff, stack or hem?

streetfighter

Hey guys, I recently got a pair of RRDS that are a bit too long. All my other jeans fit me without cuffs or stacking. I normally don't like cuffs, but it seems like the only option right now as stacking them is a bit too much for my taste. So my question is do you guys like cuffs, stacking or getting ur jeans hemmed if they are too long? What is the best look that you prefer?

All of the above. :D

For me it depends on the cut of the denim itself and also the shoes I am wearing or what I am doing. For reg ralf I would probably go cuff but really with that cut you could do which ever you feel like. Do you wear mostly sneakers? Then I would especially go cuff. I feel that cuffing looks best with things like dunks and NB sneakers and a hem or stack is better with boots and leather shoes.

I cuff for bootcuts, stack for straights or tapers and never ever hem until the jean is at least a year old (sometimes older. Pretty much until the back of my heel wears out a hole on the bottom of my jean leg). I once had a pair of King Gees (similar to Dickies work pants) that were "guarenteed" non-shrink (sanforized and mercerized) that I had hemmed for work. 1 year later after constant daily wear and weekly hot washings with regular detergent, the length of the cotton drill pants shrank up past my ankles. Now that didn't really annoy me too much ($20 pants, just threw em out and bought another pair) but I'd be plenty pissed if that happened to a pair of my $200+ jeans now.

I've been cuffing my jeans since long before I discovered the joy of raw denim, and I'll probably always do it. My Flat Head 3001s that i'm wearing right now are cuffed. Honestly, denim that isn't cuffed kinda looks odd to me.

Just feels/looks better to me. YMMV.

I think it's worth considering your body type. For years I was rocking big fat rolls, rockabilly-style, with vintage black converse (man, that old black canvas fades to a glorious charcoal) or leather boots/work shoes...and at the time I was like, "fuck-you, cause this my shit!" j/k -but basically I didn't care if it looked goofy cause I was so heavy into the look. Now that I've grown up a bit, and out of the extremety of that style I realize -"hey, big fat rolls on a dude who's way short to begin with just don't look good"... I mean, unless I'm really going for the "Beave"-look. (to clarify: 4-5" of cuff on a 28" inseam cuts down on your mojo considerably)

So, I think the best clothes are the ones that are most complimentary to your body. I mean, you can go ahead and wear something that is patently ugly -because you're "hardcore", or you're trying to attract that minute slice of the population that cares more about the article of clothing than how dumpy or silly you look. Like, I'm here in Williamsburg Brooklyn -it's a great place, but takes a lot of crap for being "hipster central" or whatever. The problem with the kids around here, and the thing that makes Williamsburg seem like some poser-party of hipster-homogenization is that there's little originality. Like, a trend sweeps through the 'Burg, and pretty soon it's a contest to see who's nutsack is most visible through they're tight-ass jeans. And then you look around and everybody has adopted the same look like members of a tribe or something. I just want to stop these folks and say -"hey dude, so you're malnourished, or anemic, or a crack-fiend, or you just walked out of a death-camp -whatever -I can see that -but when you were shopping for pants, why exactly did you decide to buy those black leg-rubbers that highlight and accentuate what is clearly a serious medical condition?"

Or, to the lady passing on the sidewalk, "Darling, you, as all females- possess some quality of feminine beauty though it looks to be suffocating beneath those adipose masses of quivering flesh. Dear, I understand the cruelty of genetics, I myself am a victim, and I understand the time and energy required for diet and weight loss -I don't judge you for that...but please, as spokesman for the community that must share these sidewalks with you -I must ask -why exactly, when you woke up this morning, did you consciously assemble an outfit from only the most embarrassing and hideous fashion flatulence of the early 80's? Okay -see that girl across the street -yeah, the one who is about 5' 10" -maybe 115 lbs. -yeah, see, she can go out in skin tight, stacked black jeans, flimsy/threadbare -ironic 80's band t-shirt with no bra, dirty-ass white slip-ons, and eye glass frames so giant, thick, and monstrous that she has to turn sideways to get through the shop door.....see, she can do that.....her body (as unjust as it may seem) can bear the weight of that disaster...you, poor child, you see how your jeans allow everyone within blocks to number and calculate every cellulite dimple?.....your pendulous pancake mams need to be restrained..... everyone knows the flavor of your "muffin-top" because that stretched out RATT tee is blowing around....and finally, remember those fat-face girls in Mom's "Class of 1982" yearbook with the gigantic, squarish, downsloping, eyeglass frames? -you know the ones where the temple hinges to the frame near the bottom corner, and then jogs up before going around your ear? Remember how everyone would laugh and laugh at those fat-face girls? Yeah, thats you. Please, please, cease to dishonor your gender and make clothing choices with consideration for what human form is your lot to contend with....."

Okay, well...sorry to get so wrapped up there, and I don't mean to encourage negative body-image stereotypes -blah-blah.....but I just think in addition to what clothes you choose, you have allow enough self-reflection to admit that certain looks simply weren't meant for you. You can choose to look put together, sophisticated, masculine if you're a man, feminine if you're a girl, etc. (or however you want to be perceived gender-wise)....or you can just look like a cartoon -an ironic joke....a frozen in time high-school identity crisis.

Oh yeah, uh, so anyway, I hem.

3.5 months into them, I find that RRDS are the most awkward jeans ever due to its bootcut. Its totally TOO wide of a bootcut for ANY shoe thats ever so slightly slim. The ends just drag and looks like POS. They are starting to piss me off. I think I'm going to go hem them soon and get it over with.

^^^

What the fuck?

Hem your jeans. You don't want to look like a sufu crazy stacking fashion victim, and i'm not a huge fan of cuffing, especially with bootcut or wide hem jeans as the sit on the shoes weird. Don't hem them too much, you want them to sit on your shoes, no hang above. At least that's how i prefer them. Usually 1" above your normal size for non-stacking natural sitting seems proper for casual jean wear. I don't like my socks showing when i walk around or even when i sit. Don't hem them too much though.

^^^

What the fuck?

Hem your jeans. You don't want to look like a sufu crazy stacking fashion victim, and i'm not a huge fan of cuffing, especially with bootcut or wide hem jeans as the sit on the shoes weird. Don't hem them too much, you want them to sit on your shoes, no hang above. At least that's how i prefer them. Usually 1" above your normal size for non-stacking natural sitting seems proper for casual jean wear. I don't like my socks showing when i walk around or even when i sit. Don't hem them too much though.

I hear ya. Its exactly what I had in mind. If its too short, it'll just look fucking stupid since its sooo fucking wide below the knees. Contemplating whether or not I should get them tapered a little. The selvedge lining will be gone, im guessing? Or can they taper from the inseam and play around from there?

I think it's worth considering your body type. For years I was rocking big fat rolls, rockabilly-style, with vintage black converse (man, that old black canvas fades to a glorious charcoal) or leather boots/work shoes...and at the time I was like, "fuck-you, cause this my shit!" j/k -but basically I didn't care if it looked goofy cause I was so heavy into the look. Now that I've grown up a bit, and out of the extremety of that style I realize -"hey, big fat rolls on a dude who's way short to begin with just don't look good"... I mean, unless I'm really going for the "Beave"-look. (to clarify: 4-5" of cuff on a 28" inseam cuts down on your mojo considerably)

So, I think the best clothes are the ones that are most complimentary to your body. I mean, you can go ahead and wear something that is patently ugly -because you're "hardcore", or you're trying to attract that minute slice of the population that cares more about the article of clothing than how dumpy or silly you look. Like, I'm here in Williamsburg Brooklyn -it's a great place, but takes a lot of crap for being "hipster central" or whatever. The problem with the kids around here, and the thing that makes Williamsburg seem like some poser-party of hipster-homogenization is that there's little originality. Like, a trend sweeps through the 'Burg, and pretty soon it's a contest to see who's nutsack is most visible through they're tight-ass jeans. And then you look around and everybody has adopted the same look like members of a tribe or something. I just want to stop these folks and say -"hey dude, so you're malnourished, or anemic, or a crack-fiend, or you just walked out of a death-camp -whatever -I can see that -but when you were shopping for pants, why exactly did you decide to buy those black leg-rubbers that highlight and accentuate what is clearly a serious medical condition?"

Or, to the lady passing on the sidewalk, "Darling, you, as all females- possess some quality of feminine beauty though it looks to be suffocating beneath those adipose masses of quivering flesh. Dear, I understand the cruelty of genetics, I myself am a victim, and I understand the time and energy required for diet and weight loss -I don't judge you for that...but please, as spokesman for the community that must share these sidewalks with you -I must ask -why exactly, when you woke up this morning, did you consciously assemble an outfit from only the most embarrassing and hideous fashion flatulence of the early 80's? Okay -see that girl across the street -yeah, the one who is about 5' 10" -maybe 115 lbs. -yeah, see, she can go out in skin tight, stacked black jeans, flimsy/threadbare -ironic 80's band t-shirt with no bra, dirty-ass white slip-ons, and eye glass frames so giant, thick, and monstrous that she has to turn sideways to get through the shop door.....see, she can do that.....her body (as unjust as it may seem) can bear the weight of that disaster...you, poor child, you see how your jeans allow everyone within blocks to number and calculate every cellulite dimple?.....your pendulous pancake mams need to be restrained..... everyone knows the flavor of your "muffin-top" because that stretched out RATT tee is blowing around....and finally, remember those fat-face girls in Mom's "Class of 1982" yearbook with the gigantic, squarish, downsloping, eyeglass frames? -you know the ones where the temple hinges to the frame near the bottom corner, and then jogs up before going around your ear? Remember how everyone would laugh and laugh at those fat-face girls? Yeah, thats you. Please, please, cease to dishonor your gender and make clothing choices with consideration for what human form is your lot to contend with....."

Okay, well...sorry to get so wrapped up there, and I don't mean to encourage negative body-image stereotypes -blah-blah.....but I just think in addition to what clothes you choose, you have allow enough self-reflection to admit that certain looks simply weren't meant for you. You can choose to look put together, sophisticated, masculine if you're a man, feminine if you're a girl, etc. (or however you want to be perceived gender-wise)....or you can just look like a cartoon -an ironic joke....a frozen in time high-school identity crisis.

Oh yeah, uh, so anyway, I hem.

LMAO!

Ah, people are free to wear whatever they want, no matter how offensive it's going to be on the eyes of others. No one deserves to feel left out. If a girl wants to wear something that would look tight on a broomstick, then she should go right ahead.

shoji - i'm thoroughly amused by that post. :)

i usually let it stack, especially when i'm dressing down with a pair of chucks.

but when i'm wearing dress shoes i'll add a 1" cuff (folded over twice), so that the silhouette of the jeans is straight all the way down to the ankle.