Tattoos

Also, general question for you guys with multiple tats on your arms-work your way up one, or swap between the two? I feel like I should get something on my other to sort of balance out; saw a guy today with one arm totally done up and the other bare, was kind of weird, like a tattooed fiddler crab.

I'm getting one arm done piece-by-piece, I figure that since my taste in tattoos may change over time, I'll have a blank arm to get different work on. Like, let's say I go though a gnarly divorce and I want to get some silly Phoenix sleeve to represent my broken manhood rising from the ashes - I'll have an arm to do that.

I got my first tattoos, mostly hook-ups from friends or self inflicted, on my legs, generally out of view. Moved on to higher quality work and upgraded the real estate to my left arm. Still got plenty of room and plenty of time to not completely blow it. Talked to too many people - especially dudes who I've gotten tattoos from - that advised that slow and steady is the better way.

Or just get that cool diamond and crossbones on your throat, you'll still find it relevant when you explain it to everyone you meet in your 40's, right?

I've got 3 tattoos on my right arm, none on my left. I get individual traditional pieces and so far they've just all felt right for the same arm. I think I'm gonna do my left shoulder next but we'll see.

Guest wockawockawocka
I'm getting one arm done piece-by-piece, I figure that since my taste in tattoos may change over time, I'll have a blank arm to get different work on. Like, let's say I go though a gnarly divorce and I want to get some silly Phoenix sleeve to represent my broken manhood rising from the ashes - I'll have an arm to do that.

I got my first tattoos, mostly hook-ups from friends or self inflicted, on my legs, generally out of view. Moved on to higher quality work and upgraded the real estate to my left arm. Still got plenty of room and plenty of time to not completely blow it. Talked to too many people - especially dudes who I've gotten tattoos from - that advised that slow and steady is the better way.

Or just get that cool diamond and crossbones on your throat, you'll still find it relevant when you explain it to everyone you meet in your 40's, right?

slow and steady isn't the way. who gives a shit? just get a bad ass tattoo artist and tell em you wanted something bad ass. tattoos aren't about getting things that symbolize shit. my worst tattoos are the ones i wanted. my best are when i went to killer tattoo artists and just said - roll with it. those never get old. i just got an entire sleeve done in three sittings in a month and its the best thing i ever did as far as my tattoos. and i let the artist do his thing - not my thing.

Ha ha ha, yeah - who gives a shit. I don't personally give a hoot about how you get your tattoos, but dude asked for advice and I gave him mine. If you really don't give a shit I wonder why you're on here asking advice about who to go to at Smith Street. Just walk in and get 'something bad ass', no?

Maybe you care a teeny bit more than you'd like to admit.

Guest wockawockawocka
Ha ha ha, yeah - who gives a shit. I don't personally give a hoot about how you get your tattoos, but dude asked for advice and I gave him mine. If you really don't give a shit I wonder why you're on here asking advice about who to go to at Smith Street. Just walk in and get 'something bad ass', no?

Maybe you care a teeny bit more than you'd like to admit.

nah, its just cause i have so many other bad ass tattoos now it's just a matter of which perfect 10 to bone. you probably never have that problem tho.

Terrible analogy. You have to pay for your tattoos, so you have to pay for your pussy too? You're right, I have never had the problem of deciding between which perfect 10 to give my money to. In any case, good luck with the tattoo.

Thread has been sidetracked enough. Everyone should look at Javi Rodriguez's work because it's on point.

l_877ebaf9b1b14bc88bacba41c711228a.jpg

l_a1d82d5747cc4c329c1a39c5852c9707.jpg

l_39450bba48d44994b1346a7a4a6693ab.jpg

l_a153f3bf88a2833e40e700aa3b2097c3.jpg

l_cfa4ec85981b4132eba35906e981f17f.jpg

l_e13eb21b229d4256879bb0bd07bedf9e.jpg

So I think I finally conceptualized my ideal tattoo, it's pretty boring but I think it suits me (lol), just not too sure of how plausible or difficult it would be.

I want to get three equally sized (~1.5 in), equally spaced (1-2cm) solid black bands around my right bicep, and then on the inner bicep (area facing my chest) I would get script, probably a cursive font with the text being fairly small, and centered within the band.

I really like this idea because overall I think the bands will look cool, clean, simple and having the text be small and hidden on the inside most people will never see it, and it can stay a bit more personal. Also if I ever get sick of the text I could just have the band filled in.

I'm just wondering how difficult the inner text would be, in my mind It seems like that would take skill but I don't know shit about tattooing so yeah. All input appreciated by the way.

DENG MEN, URBODY WAN TREE BANDS NOW.

I has one ATM. I want to get my right shoulder did, then finish up the other two. Different artist than the first (friend, SORRY!) Mine is on my right forearm.

There's a chick at a bar here, with three bands, as well. But hers are on both forearms. Then I saw some dude at H&M the other day, with 3 black bands as well.

slow and steady isn't the way. who gives a shit? just get a bad ass tattoo artist and tell em you wanted something bad ass. tattoos aren't about getting things that symbolize shit. my worst tattoos are the ones i wanted. my best are when i went to killer tattoo artists and just said - roll with it. those never get old. i just got an entire sleeve done in three sittings in a month and its the best thing i ever did as far as my tattoos. and i let the artist do his thing - not my thing.

please post some pics of the sleeve which was all the tattoo artists own thing, I would love to see how it turned out. sounds kind of exciting actually.

anyone know general robert ryan rates?

3 years ago or so it was in the neighborhood of $100/hour or so.

That doesn't really help much, huh?

i woke up the other day and decided to get a tattoo and ended up with this

2n1gprq.jpg

dan innes at pearl harbour, it's just a sailor jerry but i put the diamond on his head instead of the.. not diamond that was in the original

dan does great work, and he's nice enough to fit you in for dinky shit like this before he goes back to doing the best japanese inspired shit in toronto

My latest idea:

A Luchador mask in strong purple on the inside of my right bicep. Mix with an old school style banner with my (South American) little brother's name in cursive in out. Too unimaginary? Does anyone know of any resources I can use for inspiration?

I have 2 very good books on Mexican wrestlers, one is called "Lucha Loco" and is full of huge face/mask shots and the other is called "Lucha Libre - masked stars of Mexican wrestling" and has a lot more action shots and weird shots. I'd check them out if you can.

what do you guys think of getting an artist's work as a tattoo if he/she isn't way dead? I'm not too seriously thinking this specifically yet. I save stuff into a folder for "tattoo ideas" because I've wanted one for awhile. I'm just wondering what you guys think.

Work by Steve Viezens. I really like the Madonna. I even found dude on facebook, so I guess if I had decided to get his work done I could contact him beforehand to see what he thought?

steve-viezens.jpg