Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

i have a bottle of diptyque philosykos and it doesnt have a spray. I find this really annoying cus I have to be extra careful not to get too much, but worry about getting to little out. does diptyque not sell spray bottles?

I have a bottle from them that's a spray...I guess they come in splash bottles as well. For splash bottles, I just decant some into a spray bottle like this:

http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P10154&categoryId=B70

perfume-t1.jpg

thoughts on Monocle x CDG? seems like a lot of you guys have various CDG scents already...

the description says: Scent One: Hinoki. Hinoki is a cedary, woody scent inspired by Japanese hot-spring baths and Scandinavian forests.

I don't get japanese baths from Hinoki. What I get is the smell of my parent's cedar scented chests with table cloths in them. Also, the smell of my shoe trees. Seems if you have any memories tied to cedar, then thats what you're going to get. But the smell is delightful.

perfume-t1.jpg

thoughts on Monocle x CDG? seems like a lot of you guys have various CDG scents already...

the description says: Scent One: Hinoki. Hinoki is a cedary, woody scent inspired by Japanese hot-spring baths and Scandinavian forests.

soooo musky, smells like an old cellar... in the best way possible. odin on lafeyette sold out twice.

Of course this had to be one of the few series Tobi doesn't carry. I'll pick up a sample from luckyscent, if I like it I'll have to scour the internet to find a bottle cheaper than that.

Blackbird has the 125ml size for $35 (on sale).

I've been wearing CdG Synthetic / Tar for a week, and I'm still as confused as I was at first. At times it feels like a gentleman's spicy perfume that's been sitting in a forgotten cupboard in a beach house for ten years. At other times it's just an acrid, synthetic stench, something that makes you open the window, like a gooey mixture of spray paint and repositionable glue buildup in those vacuum thingies. But there's also a more organic and warm quality to it, especially when you don't get a full whiff of it. Actually its inconsistence in strength is confusing too: first you can barely smell it, and all of a sudden you're practically choking.

I have the feeling it annoys people, but they're being polite.

That's a highly subjective review of course...

from your post, i think that you are tryiing way too hard to like the scent. usually, if a scent turns me off just for a second it is usually a good indication that i should not be wearing it,specially if you have the feeling it is annoying people around you. i was surprised when i saw you posting the tar scent in the recent purchases thread because i felt like it was the most unwearable of the whole series when i smelled it.

perfume-t1.jpg

wait until fall

from your post, i think that you are tryiing way too hard to like the scent.

You're probably right, I generally don't like perfume, but this so unlike perfume that it's been fun so far. However I wouldn't say I actually like it. I doubt anyone would say that about Tar. It just kind of suits my mood at the moment.

It smells like a slightly altered Avignon (from the Incense Series), but at a ridiculous price. Its still nice, but I wouldn't buy it.

Anybody here liked the Emporio Armani's?

No.

cereus reviews anyone, anyone?

no. 11 and no. 5 sound really really interesting.

I've not smelled them yet, but there's a decent review here:

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/scent-notes-cereus-pour-homme-by-cereus/

I recently got some samples to find a scent for my gf. Along with the gardenias gimme recommended, I got a sample of serge lutens Un lys. Holy shit! It smells amazing! A perfect lily scent. Thats all I wanted to say, she is definitely getting a bottle of this.

Actually, how do I go about acquiring the pars lutens scents??

to get it and wear it, or because something else better is being released?

i suppose you could get it now, i'd wait until fall to wear it. so i guess i'm suggesting buy something else now instead.

the Escentric Molecules 02 collection is out at luckyscent anyone happen to get a sample or smell it yet?
"Molecule 02 is based on ambroxan, a nature-identical aroma-molecule. Real ambroxan is found in ambergris, but the stratospheric cost of its extraction makes it prohibitive for use in fragrances. Ambergris itself is one of the few natural animalic fragrance ingredients that has no connotations of cruelty because it is produced and excreted by the sperm whale. It can float on the ocean for years evolving under the influence of sun and salt water. Then it is collected when it washes up on shore, by which stage its distinctive nutty, warm scent is a symphony of boronal, ambrinol, dihydro ionone gamma – and its best-smelling aromatic part, ambroxan. Wear Molecule 02 and you will notice a fresh, almost mineral smoothness which subtly expands to envelop you."
Whale Sperm Two-Point-Oh.

So the coupon code does work on SL scents, but my girlfriend has decided that she doesn't want to smell exactly like lilies. She did seem to like Tuberose Gardenia but again it might smell too much like the flower. Any suggestions on a gardenia scent that isn't too exact a representation of the flower? (I know that is what I asked for before).

I tried Bois d'Iris yesterday and I have to say it is my favorite Iris scent. The wood just gives it a wonderful sharpness that compliments the iris so well. I found Iris Silver Mist to be to creamy. It smelled like fresh uncut carrots to me (the rooty smell I guess). Divine's L'homme de ceour (or however it is spelled) dried down to kind of a vanilla scent and I hate vanilla scents. But I love everything else about it. But anyay, I think I might get a bottle of Bois d'Iris at some point.

So the coupon code does work on SL scents, but my girlfriend has decided that she doesn't want to smell exactly like lilies. She did seem to like Tuberose Gardenia but again it might smell too much like the flower. Any suggestions on a gardenia scent that isn't too exact a representation of the flower? (I know that is what I asked for before).

I tried Bois d'Iris yesterday and I have to say it is my favorite Iris scent. The wood just gives it a wonderful sharpness that compliments the iris so well. I found Iris Silver Mist to be to creamy. It smelled like fresh uncut carrots to me (the rooty smell I guess). Divine's L'homme de ceour (or however it is spelled) dried down to kind of a vanilla scent and I hate vanilla scents. But I love everything else about it. But anyay, I think I might get a bottle of Bois d'Iris at some point.

Bois d'Iris is a great scent...its a bit spicier than I like, but I still bought it.

Gardenia - Cruel Gardenia from Guerlain ($$$$), Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia (I think I already suggested that), Gardenia by Jo Malone (light & boring), Vintage Gardenia by Jo Malone (ditto, but spicier).