Fragrance Thread

gimmegimme

Well, there's the review on peredepierre.com, if you haven't seen it already. ;)

Here's another review that I like.

In short, it's an unusual leather scent, with sweet and animalic notes... a strange combination, as I said. Some people say it doesn't last on them, so definitely get hold of a sample to try before you buy a large amount. It lasts all day on me, but YMMV.

Thanks I hadn't read those yet.

Sounds really interesting, read in the comments on that second review that someone compared it's "pang" to Phylosikos, wich I also have but only wear when I really feel like "spring".

I will def try to get my hands on a tester when I go to the States, (alternatively, as I'll be in your city I might have to try yours out, heh heh...)

I have a lot of associations like that...scent can trigger all kinds of weird, lost memories (good and bad). Avignon is like that for many (well, probs not with the catholic schoolgirl).

I also have a lot of memories popping up whenever I smell certain specific things, I love it!

Our olfactory sense is a wondefull one...

im ordering some samples off of luckyscent and i wanted to get some more recommendations before i placed the order..so far i have:

Amouage Jubilation XXV

L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzing!

L'Artisan Parfumeur Dzongkha

The Different Company Bergamote

i heard some good things about CDG but im not familiar with which ones are worth trying..feel free to list some more samples i should grab before i place the order..thanksss

im ordering some samples off of luckyscent and i wanted to get some more recommendations before i placed the order..so far i have:

Amouage Jubilation XXV

i heard some good things about CDG but im not familiar with which ones are worth trying..feel free to list some more samples i should grab before i place the order..thanksss

All good choices...I'd add any of the following:

CDG Rhubarb

CDG Sequoia

CDG 71

Ulrich Lang Anvers 2

Eau d'Italie Paestum Rose

experts -

whats the consensus on combining colognes, as in wearing a spray of one and a spray of another at the same time

BEYONDPARADISExVETIVER

smells good to me

I've never been big on layering, but mostly because if I like something, I don't feel I need to add anything. But go crazy and do whatever smells good to you...I've smelled a few people that have layered various scents and it smelled great.

I smelled Le Male the other day and it proved sickly sweet, I had read some great reviews by women who drop to their knees after inhaling this apparent sub-species of chloroform.

It shot the image into my mind of walking into some danky Italian gay bar and seeing 6 or 7 oiled men taking body shots off each other, and unfortunately this scent lasted forever on my innocent skin..

Then as fortuna's wheel spun in some sadistic swirl I received this as a gift one day from an unsuspecting parent,

ladies and gentlemen of superfuture if you are capable of ignoring my wicked tale I urge you to take this nerve dulling toxant off my hands for any price please message me!

On another note, please Can I ask a rating from your talented noses

I have a toss up between three scents, and right now I need to choose one

Dior Homme Self titled

Rive Gauche YSL

Eau de Fluers de Cedrat..Guerlain

I'm leaning towards the latter due to the age (1920) and the name, but I do want something with a sharp edge , As i seem to have amassed more classic scents as of late..Any Help?

Amouage Jubilation XXV

Just a thought, but you can get up to five L'Artisan samples (1 mL each, I believe) for $7 on their website. I guess you save about a $1 if you only want the two (not including shipping on the luckyscent order), but I'm sure you could find more that tickle your fancy.

I know this because I was about to order both Dzing, Dzonghka, and Mechant Loup literally two seconds ago, and was going to request suggestions to what else I might like from their collection.

Ok so I went to a nearby fragrancestore, to try out some new fragrances. I ended up buying one from Gaultier, called 'Gaultier2'. They didn't have any CDG fragrances, but this has some ingredients that remind me of the "2" fragrance. Anyways, it's a bit spicy and woody. I was wondering though, it's an "Eau de parfum". Does this mean it's really strong or something? Cause the bottle is really small and it was still quite expensive (€50 for 40ml).

Ok so I went to a nearby fragrancestore, to try out some new fragrances. I ended up buying one from Gaultier, called 'Gaultier2'. They didn't have any CDG fragrances, but this has some ingredients that remind me of the "2" fragrance. Anyways, it's a bit spicy and woody. I was wondering though, it's an "Eau de parfum". Does this mean it's really strong or something? Cause the bottle is really small and it was still quite expensive (€50 for 40ml).

Eau de Parfum is indeed stronger (than Eau de Toilette). That scent usually comes in very large bottles though, so I'm surprised. You may have overpaid.

I just got my Dior Homme from sephora and must say those who say it is femine smelling dont really know what they are talking about. It is a great scent with all the talk about it smelling femine I was worried it would be but boy I am glad with the outcome.

I just got my Dior Homme from sephora and must say those who say it is femine smelling dont really know what they are talking about. It is a great scent with all the talk about it smelling femine I was worried it would be but boy I am glad with the outcome.

It's basically a tobacco scent...so I guess if you find tobacco feminine, then you'd find it the same...but I don't. Enjoy.

just wondering how to distinguish day/evening/office/casual/romance fragrance? or just personal preference?

It's not a perfect science...day stuff is usually lighter, night heavier, etc. etc. It's just a judgement call on your part. I don't really go overboard with when I wear something. Sometimes I find that I'm more in the mood for something during a certain season, but it's all subjective.

I recently tried that new D&G stuff, "The One" and really liked it. I seem to remember reading a review where you recommend getting Dior Homme instead?

The One isn't bad, but it's essentially built on the same base as Dior Homme (same perfumer made both), but swaps DH's iris opening with a fruity thing. It's not bad, but I prefer DH.

I love his site and super appreciate what the site does, but to be blunt,(IMHO) Pere de pierre is a drop in the sea of growing good frag reviews. The two things that make his site stand out however is that his site is clean of distracting advertisers and that I can trust he doesn't do this for a living... i.e. biased by freebies/revenue/etc. Well I guess one more... he's a dude...(though the two other parfum writer/reviewer/authors that come to mind are rather famous dudes: Burr and Turin)

I would love dane (and mark) to make hella dough but I just hope he keeps his (consistent) boutique charm.

um... now to say what I came here to say/ask:

I like Grey Flannel, but the topnotes are crazy harsh to me. I am currently looking for a scent with a similar drydown but hopefully a less... dated/harsh (to my nostrils) topnote.

Also... Amazon.com has a 50% sale on select frags (that're usually found on bargain bins anyways... ).. http://www.amazon.com/s/qid=1217874297/ref=sr_pg_1?ie=UTF8&rs=3783021&rh=n%3A3760901%2Cn%3A3777891%2Cn%3A3783021%2Cp_6%3AATVPDKIKX0DER%2Cp_8%3A50-&page=1

Realistic savings (compared to fragrancenet) are around 7-20 bucks.

Mark and I get lots of emails from PR firms, advertisers, and fragrance companies with press releases. I'm sure if I really wanted to, we could make a small profit from all this, but as mentioned, it degrades the quality of the content and discredits the review. I pay for and aquire my samples the same way everyone else does so my opinions stay objective (although free swag is tempting...I have enough cologne to stink up all of superfuture).

So, for the time being, no $$$, but no grief either. :)

---

Regarding the grey flannet - there really isn't anything out there that can compete imo, but tons of other scents have copied it. Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise is a good example, as is Nautica's Voyage (both being very good interpretations).

Went to Sephora last night to pick up Mugler Cologne for a gift for my uncle. They didn't have a sample and refused to open the box for me to smell it. I actually never smelled it before so I wasn't going to buy it blind. I was so pissed off at some dumb bitch working there so I asked for a manager. And here comes the good part. The manager was this hot 30something blonde who just happens to be polish. Got the Cologne and her number. Good times!

Ah best gifts for him/her list requested from everyone. :)

It's a tricky thing to give fragrances... within my family at least.

It's a tricky thing to give fragrances... within my family at least.

I agree. I only get them for my uncle since I know what he uses and pretty much remember every scent he had since the early 80s. Otherwise I just buy everyone booze. Everybody loves booze!