coffee anyone?

xcoldricex

I don't mind where my coffee is from as long as it's not a chain and that it is nice and strong. One of my favourite world coffees is Bali Kopi it's really bitty but it has a wonderful taste. Either that or the combination of sitting in the lush jungle drinking it in the morning has swayed me a little.

what is the end-all be-all consensus with manual grinders for exclusive aeropress use? well maybe to toy with a clever in the future. basically i'll never need a fine grind.

• 4 weeks later...

what is the end-all be-all consensus with manual grinders for exclusive aeropress use? well maybe to toy with a clever in the future. basically i'll never need a fine grind.

you can definitely go pretty fine in an aeropress. in fact i do every day. perhaps that's abnormal but it's a great way to get lots of flavor out of fewer beans without any bitterness.

you can definitely go pretty fine in an aeropress. in fact i do every day. perhaps that's abnormal but it's a great way to get lots of flavor out of fewer beans without any bitterness.

what's your method?

sidenote - cold brew coffee via aeropress is niiiice, especially with the weather slowly creeping into the low 90's.

let me try to explain, pictures would no doubt be easier but oh well:

I don't do anything crazy. I used to do the upside down method (which works well, really) but now I just put the chamber on the cup, fill it with two scoops of fresh grounds and add just enough water so that i can stir it smoothly. once it's mixed i pour more water over the stir stick to was the grounds off then fill the chamber up to about 1/2" from the top. Instead of pressing it down I leave it for a few minutes and let the water naturally work its way down through the grounds. Once it's all through I add just a bit more water (so that the final amount fills my mug) and then insert the plunger and push it through.

like i said, nothing crazy, but the extra step of letting it drip down on its own and then adding a bit more water allows you to get a full cup of delicious, not at all bitter coffee with minimal grounds, allowing my coffee budget to be quite reasonable.

#studentstaus

once i get all moved into my new crib, i'm going to take a stab at cold brew coffee in my french press.

http://www.thebitten...ee-at-home.html

i've been doing this on the daily, and not only is it super convenient, it's freaking delicious. highly recommended if you live in a warm climate.

+1 my french press is a lifesaver...the strength of the cold brew takes some getting used to, but still pretty cool. getting a brick of bustelo shipped next week, imma be wired

need help finding somewhere to buy good coffee in bulk.

Try http://www.coffeeam.com/ pretty good selection, and great price when you buy in bulk (5 pounds or more at a time.) With the flat rate of $5.95 shipping, it works out to around $8/pound for most of their stuff. Wouldn't recommend buying more than 5 pounds at a time, though. They roast their coffee in-house, and the freshness its on its way out after a month or so. Unless you're looking to supply a coffee shop or something, then go for it. They even do custom roasts if you order something like 25 pounds.

Try http://www.coffeeam.com/ pretty good selection, and great price when you buy in bulk (5 pounds or more at a time.) With the flat rate of $5.95 shipping, it works out to around $8/pound for most of their stuff. Wouldn't recommend buying more than 5 pounds at a time, though. They roast their coffee in-house, and the freshness its on its way out after a month or so. Unless you're looking to supply a coffee shop or something, then go for it. They even do custom roasts if you order something like 25 pounds.

Roasted coffee is fresh for around 14 days. After that, it doesn't change much up to a year.

Been doing this Japanese Iced Coffee method for the last week. So delicious and easy and I don't have to plan 18 hours ahead like I normally would with a cold brew.

I appreciated it even more after reading Peter's write up of the method here. http://petergiuliano.tumblr.com/post/22177089634/why-you-should-stop-cold-brewing-and-use-the-japanese

Edited by wayoutwest

anybody tried putting a pinch of salt in their coffee?

when i went to majorca, the potable water on part of the island wasn't completely desalinated. i basically drank salt water coffee for 2 weeks... i wouldn't recommend it.

I'm aware this is more than the "pinch" you're talking about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Methimphibian

when doing that japanese iced coffee method how do you sweeten it? I prefer my iced coffee a bit sweeter even after adding some half/half. The methods I've tried before I usually added the sugar to the coffee when it was super hot, then cooled it in the fridge and added half/half later.

Edited by Methimphibian