Self Edge x Iron Heart

kiya

So, uh, since we're on the topic and everything..

Are you guys just gonna buy your 21cm size or are you gonna size up one to account for less stretching, hm? Or are you gonna size up so you can soak them down to proper size? Or are you gonna size down because this is superfuture?

I'm going to size up because they run small and don't shrink much at all. Actually, I have a 30" waist and I'm gonna get a 30W. Figure these will stretch out a bit. IHs are infamous for stretching.

• Replies 788
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For whatever it's worth, I think the most important thing here is that Kiya & Iron Heart have created a pretty stellar looking bit of denim that, regardless of anyone's feelings on the marketing of them, everyone can look at an agree that they fall squarely into the "bitchin" category.

If nothing else, a US-based retail stores collaborated so heavily with a Japanese-based denim company to produce something of top-notch quality should make everyone who appreciates quality denim pump their fists in the air a la Billy Idol and yell "FUCK YEAH!"

At least, that's what I did. Your mileage may vary.

Congrats on the collab, Kiya. They look great, I hope they sell out immediately, and I can't wait to see what you cook up with Imperial, Sugarcane, Flat Head, and all the other denim brands that you work with.

Mostly Flat Head though. ;)

I'm going to size up because they run small and don't shrink much at all. Actually, I have a 30" waist and I'm gonna get a 30W. Figure these will stretch out a bit. IHs are infamous for stretching.

I'm a bit confused..aren't 'no shrinkage' and 'lots of stretching' both very good reasons to size down?? :confused:

I'm a bit confused..aren't 'no shrinkage' and 'lots of stretching' both very good reasons to size down?? :confused:

I'm a 30" waist. The 30W tag will be a 29" measured. It will shrink 0.5" in the waist after a soak. That now takes you down to 28.5". So it'll be hella tight for me until I stretch them out. They should stretch back out to a 30" to a 30.5" based on what I've read about IHs.

Hope that helps.

I've come to this conclusion after running production for a few denim lines and knowing how much it costs to make jeans. They look nice though.

Oh yeah? Which denim lines?

tell us..

Why are people planning on warm soaking these? Size down, then wear the shit out of them and they will fit like they were made for you. Isn't this pretty standard procedure for this forum? Are you guys hoppin in a hot tub or something to stf?

edit: or maybe in this case buy true to size cause they are running small.

Why are people planning on warm soaking these? Size down, then wear the shit out of them and they will fit like they were made for you. Isn't this pretty standard procedure for this forum? Are you guys hoppin in a hot tub or something to stf?

edit: or maybe in this case buy true to size cause they are running small.

maybe because they're unsanforized? :confused:

Wow, an industry person with no credentials, please enlighten us all. Tell us all the cost of Japanese reproduction, collaboration denim. How much per silver button?

Seriously, if you are not sitting in on the deal between Kiya and Iron Heart, please shut the fuck up.

here's what this guy just PM'd me with:

funny how it seems to be a crime to give your opinion on an internet forum these days. you offended I think charging close to $400 for a pair of jeans is too much when you pay $40-50 to have them made?

40 to 50? go back to producing your swap meet jeans.

$50? Broham you're in the majors, not little league.

Multiply that by a number higher than .... 3... (and then by 125 jeans), add in the import tax fee for the entire lot, and the freight cost for the entire weight of that order as well.

funny how it seems to be a crime to give your opinion on an internet forum these days.

regardless of how he decided to justify it, this quote is on point. for a lot of people, $400 for a pair of jeans would be overpriced if they were made out of solid gold. regardless of 'value,' price is a dealbreaker for some folks and there's nothing wrong with voicing that opinion. i'm not sure why the selfedge mafia needs to jump in and slam the kid for what was basically a compliment ("dope jeans...") -- sure, you outed him as ignorant about the machinations behind the production of these jeans, but he wasn't the one who started that beef...

just sayin.

Burn a Ferrari to a crisp and you're left with a lump of metal and scatterings of crispy leather, plastic and rubber. I guess what you're paying for is the enginenering and the blood, sweat and tears of the designer realising an imagination. Not to sound like I've got my head up my arse, but to me creation is priceless. I understand that in Japanese culture, unlike say that in the middle east, north Africa and South Asia, there is a taboo attached to talk concerning the price of something and that's exactly my outlook.

This is my opinion, others of course have theirs. All I can say is that after absorbing the process through which Ande Whall does the grade sizing of jeans and Shinichi-san considered and then persuaded his boss to make the extra long inseam Skulls plus from things Toshiko has said in passing during e-mail exchanges concerning the merits of going back into production for a particular model or the complexities of extending the stock size range, I think there are a myriad of things that we as the end user don't really consider.

Kiya mentioned from the outset that the price is borne out of their spec and the short run. My interpretation of this is that neither Iron Heart nor Self Edge is in a position to absorb production costs due to what economists call economies of scale. I don't mean to be patronising or to pretend like I know things others don't - I don't! I will shut up now because even though I'm purporting an alternative view, I'm perpetuating a moot point.

lol i see it as this....

300 dollars = dior 21 cm

300 dollars + 100 dollars = dior 21 cm + 21oz selvage + nice fancy other shit

...a 100 dollar upgrade doesnt seem that bad to me

snugglepony: yeah i see your point...ps3 pwns but i cant justify buying it...

I guess what you're paying for is the enginenering and the blood, sweat and tears of the designer realising an imagination.

I agreed with most of your post except the part above. I realize you're referring to the Ferrari but you're using that as an analogy for the SExIHs. I don't think it works well since the SExIHs are an exact replica of the DH 21cm. Not much engineering, blood, sweat, or tears in making a copy.

Smart business move on Kiya's part though. Identify the good (the cut) and improve on the not so good (denim quality). Good for him!

i'm not sure why the selfedge mafia needs to jump in and slam the kid

Wahahaha... he said selfedge mafia. That really made me laugh. I kept thinking of thugs wearing slim fit raw denim.

Thanks for the laugh. Positive rep for you on that post!

Edit: shit it won't let me give you any rep. WTF?

maybe because they're unsanforized? :confused:
Weird, that's the first mention of this in the whole thread. Kiya, you might want to mention this in the first post? I haven't really followed Iron Heart very much so maybe they're all unsanforized, I wouldn't really know.

damn the block is hot..........

careful people might get their SExIH jeans jacked as they walk outside the store by groups of 4 to 5 120lb dudes wearing skinny raw denim, wing + horn tigerfleece, white AA tees and chukas carying pocket knives, baseball bats and chains. those self edge mafia guys are crazy.

someone just get a nice pic of it all and through it in the waywt thread when it happens.

regardless of how he decided to justify it, this quote is on point. for a lot of people, $400 for a pair of jeans would be overpriced if they were made out of solid gold. regardless of 'value,' price is a dealbreaker for some folks and there's nothing wrong with voicing that opinion. i'm not sure why the selfedge mafia needs to jump in and slam the kid for what was basically a compliment ("dope jeans...") -- sure, you outed him as ignorant about the machinations behind the production of these jeans, but he wasn't the one who started that beef...

just sayin.

I agree. why do the hang arounds have to start attacking him when they probably know less about making jeans than he does. there's obviously a problem with someone's TONE as well.

just let kiya respond instead as he is the only one who can make a worthwile comment.

Eh, I think those Oni Shoais are too expensive at USD$550, but I still want a pair (not going to happen though).

I want a pair of sexiho's because they're not like any other jean on the market atm. I'm not too familiar with dior 21s but they look a lot like a 21oz version of Imperial Dukes (the cut of which I LOVE), and that would be more than enough reason for me to purchase a pair, even with the premium price.

I'm sort of hoping and not hoping all the size 33s get sold out by the end of the opening week. (Aussie dollar is at 80.5cents american - KEEP ON GOING YOU GOOD THING!!!).

Uh oh, looks like you guys better have the administrator disable all these guys accounts like you had them do to mine for giving their HONEST OPINIONS. And big thanks to AYN for giving me negative rep for my original post "Dope jeans, but way overpriced."

And another big thanks to KIYA for taking my confidential email and reposting it in this thread. Too bad you didn't post the other emails I sent you about how I thought your jeans were very cool. Guess I won't be buying anymore Nudie Jeans off your site... I hope for the sake of your business that you're a lot more discreet with your customers personal information than you are with mine. Good luck to you all, I'm assuming you'll probably get all your buddies to me more negative rep for this post and have my account disabled again, but sometimes you just gotta say fuck it and say what's on your mind. Like I started out my original post "DOPE JEANS", yes I like them and I think they're cool. Peace.