the most underrated mc? big l rest in peace...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i personally think big l is already in the top 5. perfect in every way. one of the most well rounded mcs dead/alive. he only lacks in storytelling, but even thats not too bad.

he goes right after b.i.g. for me.

i personally think big l is already in the top 5. perfect in every way. one of the most well rounded mcs dead/alive. he only lacks in storytelling, but even thats not too bad.

he goes right after b.i.g. for me.

would work if lamont 'big l' coleman was still alive.

okay, you've all made good choices, alot of them underground/old school that you may have seen on some list so you decided to put it up here. now let me spill some of my brain.

christopher george latore wallace, the notorious b.i.g., frank white... greatest rapper. he had everything. from punchlines, to flow, to storytelling, to humor. great songs that could be accepted by the mainstream-- big poppa, hypnotize. his flow was unmatched and remains that way. one thing about biggie that i believe no one will be able to recreate is his ability to change flows. from a slow paced rhythym, with a falsetto-sung chorus to a bizzy bone tribute in notorious thugs. i can't think of a biggie VERSE that did not flow well, let alone a song. beyond that, the content of his songs did not stray from his personal experiences-- which you cannot say for many rappers. the only aspect i see lacking in biggie's content is conscious rap-- similar to mos def and common. but i would say that just wasn't his style and it would be a mistake. but his style was versatile enough as is. i mean, who do you know could make a song with shaq rapping about food and what not, good? practically of the verses released in biggie's post mortem albums were taken from radio freestyles. if you follow biggie's songs and know his lyrics front/back like i do, you basically can't listen to a hip-hop cd without hearing a biggie lyric repeated. although, biggie's style is evidently influenced by slick rick, biggie's influence on hip-hop after his death... actually, even during his emergence is evident. in the game less than 3 years before his passing, yet he left an indelible mark on not rap, but hip-hop.

not even seeing biggie on some your TOP 5 lists has disturbed me. and for those with lists who don't contain the late great-- i suggest you take a listen to the proclaimed hour and a half long suicide note, Ready to Die. if you can't admire the loose easy flow, even when regurgitating multi-syllabic rhyme schemes i truly question your appreciation of hip-hop.

i just realized this is the wrong thread. oh well, it's semi- related.

would work if lamont 'big l' coleman was still alive.

okay, you've all made good choices, alot of them underground/old school that you may have seen on some list so you decided to put it up here. now let me spill some of my brain.

what's is your basis on saying because people put people on their list because they've seen it on other's list?

Nice write up on BIG by the way. Yes technically he had it all, there was no faulting his skill, but me personally i can't put a person who only done two albums in my top 5, even if the reason for only two albums is that he unfortunately died.

Broke out my old tattered heineken box full of mixtapes I made in the late 90's early 00's last night and this brought to mind a few more people to add to the list (a few of these have been mentioned before in another thread with the same title last year):

-Shabazz the disciple: Red hook's finest. One of the few MC's I really think is criminally underrated. Crime Saga, and Bail Money are standouts.

-Cormega: We been through this before, and he was mentioned above. Coincidentally he is also im My "top 5 dead or alive". I personally like him better than Nas, cause though Nas is versatile, Mega has an honesty, consistency, and has showed progression and maturity throughout his career. The same could be said about Black Thought (KtotheH), I just don't like him, his flow bores me, and his voice doesnt do much for me either

-Mussolini&Maze: Noreaga put these guys on back in like 97/98. Their shit never popped off like it should have, but they were on several of Nore's singles, and the one time I heard them on Harlem radio in '99, they killed it. In a strange way They seemed like a better version of the Clipse to me., Muss had a good verse on now slept on classic CNN album, The War Report, Maze had a nice 16 on Now I Pray off the sub-par record Grimey: God's Favorite.

-Breezly Bruin: Him, and little sis Heroin, Were one hell of a duo as The Juggaknots, but his stand out work as the lead roll on Prince Paul's A prince Among Theives Proplells him far above the pack of mediocre Mc's from that 90's underground era.

-Killa Sin, PR terrorist, and The whole Killarmy: These dudes really did it for me in Higschool. Their whole slightly misinformed geopolitical outlook, and dust laced delivery make them one of the grimier crews of the era. favorite Wu-affilioates by a land-slide. Killa sin's Verse on Ghost's More Fish proves he's still got it.

That's all for now.

-Breezly Bruin: Him, and little sis Heroin, Were one hell of a duo as The Juggaknots, but his stand out work as the lead roll on Prince Paul's A prince Among Theives Proplells him far above the pack of mediocre Mc's from that 90's underground era.

-Killa Sin, PR terrorist, and The whole Killarmy: These dudes really did it for me in Higschool. Their whole slightly misinformed geopolitical outlook, and dust laced delivery make them one of the grimier crews of the era. favorite Wu-affilioates by a land-slide. Killa sin's Verse on Ghost's More Fish proves he's still got it.

That's all for now.

WORD. The Juggaknots is one of my favorite groups. Clear Blue Skies is one of THE MOST slept on classics to ever be released...then released again and still slept on. Killarmy is another favorite. Im going to listen to Fair,Love, & War right now. I'll probably keep it on loop all day.

didn't look through the whole thread, but in my opinion Redman is underrated as all hell.

though Malpractice was weak, his early songs were the shit, especially his verses on the Blackout! album with Meth.

I'm interested to see how his new album turns out.

didn't look through the whole thread, but in my opinion Redman is underrated as all hell.

though Malpractice was weak, his early songs were the shit, especially his verses on the Blackout! album with Meth.

I'm interested to see how his new album turns out.

double true he used to be one of my faves for the longest until i scratched his cds and didnt get new ones

double true he used to be one of my faves for the longest until i scratched his cds and didnt get new ones

yeah... i remember having muddy waters on tape and playing that shit till it snapped. i need to get some hip hop... my whole collection got stolen a few years back... about 350 cds, 200 hip hop and 150 roots and dancehall

• 2 weeks later...

bitch you dont even know motion man. sly we fly bitch. e-40 has been in the rap game for way too long. putting the bay area on the map.while other rappers outsisde cali take his style. aceyalone is dope the whole project blowed.

how the fuck is e-40 underrated? dude is rich and famous, the fuck are you talkin about?

motion man just isnt very good.

and aceyalone is a guy you read about and think you might, listen to for 10 minutes, then go get a sandwich or something, make a phone call maybe.

Big L is one of my favorite emcees too .. one of my favorite verses from him is the radio freestyle he did with Jay-Z.

Yo, I got slugs for snitches

No love for bitches

Puttin thugs in ditches

When my trigger finger itches

I got a rep that make police jet

Known to get a priest wet

I never beg for pussy like Keith Sweat

Is Big L slow? Hell no

Bitches get fucked on the roof when I ain't got no hotel dough

I'm known for yoking jacks

And beatin them with smoking gats

Leavin token blacks with broken backs and open caps

So with that bullshit, step to the rear son

The last thing you want with Big L is a fair one ..

I beat kids with lead pipes

I leave a trail of dead mic's

Where I'm from, niggaz jewels get ran like red lights

Old folks get mugged and raided

Crimes are drug related

And we live by the street rules that thugs created

Clowns get smoked about a thousand volts

For selling pounds of coke

Front in this town and get a tech stuck down your throat

I'm tellin you shit is about to get drastic soon

I'm quick to blast a goon

And break a motherfucker like a plastic spoon

.. God damn.

• 2 weeks later...

i had to come back to shut this down. there is a little know song called 'shaq, crack and pun' with of course having big pun stealing the show, then again his competition was shaq and fat joe, but whatever. since i cant find the lyrics anywhere i transcribed the lyrics myself so here is his verse:

why rhyming like you killing niggas

you aint never feel the trigger

screaming that you real but you still beginners

ill make examples out you ample rappers

smack you, make you trample backwards, catch you falling flat then strap you back in pampers

thats a sample, just to let you know,

test me and invest in soul, 'specially on some flesh meat members left on skulls

those opposing holding grudges will be holding crutches,

motherfuckers blast at me thats blasphemy, i'm owed to roughage

whos the toughest, as rough as they come, ill snuff em any one of you bluffing,

my name aint punisher for nothing

keep huffing and puffing ill blow your face in

with me and seis and my ace in the hole

lyrical assasin be triple seising,

chasing po-pos out of port of town

loco till i part the ground in my coffin tossed into the lost and found

down and deep beneath, to weather in my leather jar

six feet, forever,

half asleep bronx niggas never die.

christopher george latore wallace, the notorious b.i.g., frank white... greatest rapper.

oh god this sounded wack.

I dont have many tracks by Big L, but I remember a song by another artist that started off with something like, "Yo, this is for my man Big L!" repeated a couple times. Anyone know what song this is?