what are you eating today?

soepom

小籠包 from 大合 in rowland heights CA

181525_1635593963875_1057470554_31673561_1257343_n.jpg

mann the shaved snow at 三年2班 in that plaza is so bomb! +

mann the shaved snow at 三年2班 in that plaza is so bomb! +

it's the best breh.

the owner opened up The Balcony at Jamboree Plaza in Irvine, they have the same shaved snow but for some reason it's not as epic

not personal experience. word on the streets yadig. I just know that their sweet potato fries are bomb.

How'd you roast that chicken, Dis? Looks bomb.

Keller's brine from the Bouchon book (halved)...After the brine all you need to do is pat it dry, let it sit for 30 mins, and then rub it liberally in canola oil and S+P. Can go under the skin with more oil if you want, but you have to watch it more carefully because the skin will get real hot in just one spot or two, so I prefer not to, unless the oven is big and heat circulation is more still. Just truss it up and roast, and then let it rest uncovered for a bit.

Leftover chicken carcasses, necks, wings, etc, I save and broil til brown in the roasting pan with an onion, a carrot, a stalk of celery and a leek, a couple cloves of garlic and some basic herbs, and then by the time I'm washing dishes or something that'll all have browned and I put it in a stock pot with enough water to cover it all, and I boil the hell out of that to get the jus that you can sauce your next chicken dinner in, which I did for the pic.

Keller's brine from the Bouchon book (halved)...After the brine all you need to do is pat it dry, let it sit for 30 mins, and then rub it liberally in canola oil and S+P. Can go under the skin with more oil if you want, but you have to watch it more carefully because the skin will get real hot in just one spot or two, so I prefer not to, unless the oven is big and heat circulation is more still. Just truss it up and roast, and then let it rest uncovered for a bit.

Leftover chicken carcasses, necks, wings, etc, I save and broil til brown in the roasting pan with an onion, a carrot, a stalk of celery and a leek, a couple cloves of garlic and some basic herbs, and then by the time I'm washing dishes or something that'll all have browned and I put it in a stock pot with enough water to cover it all, and I boil the hell out of that to get the jus that you can sauce your next chicken dinner in, which I did for the pic.

i cant rep, but the chicken looks good man.

i wonder if i should pick up Bouchon after getting the Thomas Keller Gift set with the french laundry + ad Hoc

i cant rep, but the chicken looks good man.

i wonder if i should pick up Bouchon after getting the Thomas Keller Gift set with the french laundry + ad Hoc

The book is nice, but many of the recipes are on the internet, just a google search away. It's got some nice anecdotes and this and that in it, and it's the easiest to cook from amongst the Keller books, but it's for if you want a well written book on bistro food.

latest try at homemade pizza with homemade dough. i think i'm holding something there.

ham strip, mozarella buffala, mushrooms, oignons, olives, grated Compté, caper

20110210210258149.jpg

chicken with a mushroom sauce, not very original but whatever

20110127162113323.jpg

mellowfellow where is the vietnamese from? pho in nyc is not great :(

nvm

Most of those places are in the chinatown/les area. I usually eat vietnamese for lunch since it's cheap and delicious. I'm a bit boring when it comes to lunch. Pretty much i order the same thing every week.

paris sandwich for banh mi

nha trang

nam son

:( you have to try banh mi saigon on grand st right next to di palo's. if i had to, second choice would be saigon vietnamese sandwich deli on broome. both are much better than paris sandwich and close by

you have to pour it with a ladle so that the cooking surface heats the pancake evenly upon first touch

i just used a random online recipe made like 8 small pancakes

1 cup flour

1/2 tbsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tbsp sugar

1/4 tsp baking soda

some lemon zest

1/2 tbsp lemon juice

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/6 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup milk

1 egg

separate egg white from yolks. everything else goes together while beating egg white to stiffen in another bowl. then mix together

Today I went to this butcher:

http://www.thegingerpig.co.uk/

I have been going here for years and I cannot impress on you how damn good it is. They breed longhorn beef on their own farm and hang the cuts for around 28 days, but you can ask them to hang for as long as you want. Today while I was buying my beef, some guy came in to pick up some 75 day dry aged beef that was literally covered in green mould. Recently the butcher have had interest since they supply this restaurant: http://www.thehawksmoor.co.uk/, often revered as the best steak in London.

Anyway, I am partial to many different cuts of steak including rib-eye, T-bone, onglet, skirt or hangar, but the real glamour cut is the chateaubriand. The fat end of the fillet at the ass of the cow. This is what I bought:

5439112265_a8be50518e_z.jpg

I don't normally buy pieces of meat as expensive as this ($50) but today I did.

Searing:

5439115459_f31ee576d0_z.jpg

Is that too rare?

5439117191_3673a52922_z.jpg

Cheap but surprisingly decent bottle to go with it

5439113825_82bf51b0cd_z.jpg

thanks for the recipe ironman. i'm surprised there's so little fat/butter. i have all of the ingredients on hand so i'll try it out this wekend. this is the recipe i've used in the past only with less salt and baking powder

if you have bananas on hand, caramelized banana pancakes are amazing. just slice some ripe bananas into the batter and cook as usual

if you have bananas on hand, caramelized banana pancakes are amazing. just slice some ripe bananas into the batter and cook as usual

I make a pretty good banana pancake... take your standard batter recipe, mash up an over-ripened banana or 2, work it fully into the batter, add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, some chopped walnuts, and voila.