what are you eating today?

soepom

Went to La Taqueria Pinche Taco Shop. Had the Asada (grilled aaa flank beef with cucumber), Al Pastor (pork marinated in chili, achiote & pineapple), Carnitas (pork confit with pickled red onion) and Beef Fajita (grilled canadian beef with onions & peppers).

2011-07-29-11.jpg

Mango pudding and pearl milk tea from Cafe de Hong Kong...

5991623645_23d3edbf12.jpg

Michelin star meal this evening at Arbutus in Soho, London.

5992311790_f7318f1c39.jpg

Crisp ox tongue, beetroot and hazelnut salad, sorrel mayonnaise

5992315308_31edbd7324.jpg

5991758629_088238c5a8.jpg

Roast rabbit, shoulder cottage pie, artichokes, carrots and pancetta

5991761755_d720c3481f.jpg

Classic English custard tart

5992321738_87e110d1cf.jpg

Cold chocolate fondant, chocolate wafer, salted caramel ice cream

puzzled by the "loobster" and "bef" above, way outside my frame of reference. Where is this restaurant? What kind of amazing lobster is that? The "bef" looks unusually bloodless, from the shape and the sinew I'd have guessed it to be an onglet of veal or perhaps a pluma of v fine pork... honestly this is the most intriguing set of pictures I've ever seen on tis thread.

Puzzled as to people's aversion to the plating of the ox tongue - a piece of tongue, a spoon of dressing, an unstructured salad - on a plate next to each other. Perfect first course no?

puzzled by the "loobster" and "bef" above, way outside my frame of reference. Where is this restaurant? What kind of amazing lobster is that? The "bef" looks unusually bloodless, from the shape and the sinew I'd have guessed it to be an onglet of veal or perhaps a pluma of v fine pork... honestly this is the most intriguing set of pictures I've ever seen on tis thread.

Puzzled as to people's aversion to the plating of the ox tongue - a piece of tongue, a spoon of dressing, an unstructured salad - on a plate next to each other. Perfect first course no?

sorry - it was very obscure - from an old episode of "Cheers" - way before 95% of sufu.

the above was actually a lobster + beef set lunch at a japanese restaurant in HK (Inagiku @ IFC). the lobster was live. the beef roll is thinly sliced US beef (wagyu and japanese beef were +$ options, which i kind of regret not trying!), lightly grilled. both delicious.

ps - and i also thought the ox tongue was very unappealing.

thanks for your reply, cheers reference went way over my head.

Interesting the consensus on Arbutus' ox tongue - it often, through several stages of cooking (brining, poaching, grilling), and due to it's lean muscular nature, can appear dry and unappetising, but this is purely superficial, as tongue is rich, deep and yielding in flavour and texture. To me, a plate of grilled tongue with some delicate little roast beetroot in a refined vinaigrette and a punchy little sorel mayonnaise dabbed on the side is a plate made in heaven, and intrinsically in its plainness a much more attractive dish than any other part of that meal. Haven't been to Arbutus in several years, must get back

Ha, as unappealing as it looks, it was rather tasty. Very "fatty", melt in your mouth and the flavour was quite rich, not as rich as the rabbit though.

Edit: Johannes beat me to it !

You should definitely do it, I thought £35-£45 per head exc wine was very good. The three course pre-theatre menu for £19 was good too, which a friend of mine opted for. I couldn't fault the service either, very attentive, friendly (not feigned) and all the staff appeared to be genuinely enthusiastic about what they were serving that day. So good we put in a bit extra than the usual 12.5% tip. Atmosphere was also very relaxed, which made the whole experience a lot more pleasurable.

Ha, as unappealing as it looks, it was rather tasty. Very "fatty", melt in your mouth and the flavour was quite rich, not as rich as the rabbit though.

Edit: Johannes beat me to it !

You should definitely do it, I thought £35-£45 per head exc wine was very good. The three course pre-theatre menu for £19 was good too, which a friend of mine opted for. I couldn't fault the service either, very attentive, friendly (not feigned) and all the staff appeared to be genuinely enthusiastic about what they were serving that day. So good we put in a bit extra than the usual 12.5% tip. Atmosphere was also very relaxed, which made the whole experience a lot more pleasurable.

normal tip in UK is only 12.5%? man I feel like a sucker for leaving 20% almost every time...

tipping is, in my experience, proportional to the level of state provision for the lowest paid. In the UK the minimum wage is nearly £7, considerably higher than even the most generous state levels in the US (obviously this has as much to do with the current exchange rate and sterling's curious buoyancy in the face of national economic collapse but whatevs). Couple this with free universal healthcare etc. and then consider it in comparison to France, where tipping is much less regimented, often a case of rounding up to the nearest euro in cafés, and rarely more than 10% in more formal restaurants, citizens enjoying a greater level of public welfare provision still. Also in the UK many restaurants tack 12.5% on to the bill, while punters if left to their own devices leave 10% (for the obv reason that it's much easier to calculate) while pros tend to leave 15-20%.

Also NEVER feel like a sucker for tipping unless the service is bad.