starting a denim company

vinz

Trees, the jeans are based, designed, and manufactured in mighty Canada.

As for the extra samples, I'm afraid I got all the extra protos. I have three pairs of his jeans right now in two different fits and in three different types of denim. I have one pair that's unworn.

Tweedles, Thanks for the kind comments. I'm not exactly sure where he got his denim from. He has a bunch of protos made from 4 or 5 different types of denim, I believe most of them are from China.

Poly, I think that the back patch is going to left plain. I'm not sure though. I suggested raw untreated leather. I think he's leaning towards the vintage repo style and use some sort of hair.

What do you guys think he should use for the back patch?

He started checking out this thread, so any ideas or suggestions you guys have feel free to post them.

I asked to tag along with him when he gets the jeans made at the factory, so that I can document the process better. I'll continue take more pics of different denim and hardware that he is sourcing.

As for time lines I think that the jeans will go into production within the next few months.

jeans are looking great, great fit and the denim looks nice as well, i'd have to agree with the idea of pocket liners, and the x bar tacking. with the leather patch i would say to keep it simple, with a small lower off centered branding and maybe a size and lot number but then keep the rest plain, imo.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure when the first run is going to be made, hopefully before the summer.

I got an e-mail from him this morning, he said in his wash testing there was zero shrinkage. After my soak I think the only thing I noticed was the waist shrunk one inch. The length and the leg opening seem to be the same.

My only change I think he should make is to make the inseam longer, right now the inseam is 33" which is perfect for me, but I think making it a 34" inseam for a size 32 would be better.

I'm wearing them right now, still a bit damp.

Here are some pics of the hardware that he's going to put on the jean, I tried scratching a button and it shows copper underneath. I think that with some wear the hardware should change color.

hardwareib0.jpg

hardware2qa4.jpg

What do you guys think, X bartacking on the pockets, external rivets, or hidden rivets? I think he's leaning towards hidden rivets. I like external rivets or the X bartacks.

go with the hidden rivets. just like they used to be.

Vinz-

Hidden rivets are so nice. Kinda like how a good pair of jeans on a girl make your imagination run amok.

And I agree that some sort of backpocket stitch would be good. Its that balance of not overdoing it but still holding your own. I definitly overdid it with my first designs.

Some sort of smart implementation of Canada in there maybe?

Hidden rivets definitely. Cross stitched bartacking is alright, but I like my jeans to have minimalist stitching throughout (looks fussy otherwise). A big NO for exposed rivets.

Plain leather patches are alright, but then more emphasis would be put on the character of the leather, so a plain generic one won't do (it won't do in most cases anyway). As for the design; horses pulling jeans, pigs pulling jeans, motorcycles pulling jeans... I get it, already! The jeans are tough! You should go for something a little more original, something that shows where the jeans are from. like a hotstamped maple leaf or something (hey, I said a little original, lol):D