The Flight Jacket Thread

still

Here is the new site: www.vintageleatherjackets.org

It's faster than the old one, so no hosting issues. You can't use a gmail, yahoo etc type email to register (which is annoying) but it's the best one stop shop for all flight jacket inquiries (leather, nylon and cloth) as well as all motorcyle and utility jackets. Vintage and modern reproductions.

-Jake

Originally Posted by jubei viewpost.gif

anyone have any opinions on flightjacket.com's A-2's? I can't remember if I heard about them on here or through a goggle search, but the price, at least, seems good to me. Any opinions on how their hides stack up to other manufacturers?

I bought Flightsuits Civil A2 last fall before I found out about the top tier companies (I've got a Buzz Aero now) and the leather (goatskin) is good for a $300 jacket but the way they're cut just doesn't make it. I don't think sizing down is going to help much.

Originally Posted by jubei viewpost.gif

anyone have any opinions on flightjacket.com's A-2's? I can't remember if I heard about them on here or through a goggle search, but the price, at least, seems good to me. Any opinions on how their hides stack up to other manufacturers?

I bought Flightsuits Civil A2 last fall before I found out about the top tier companies (I've got a Buzz Aero now) and the leather (goatskin) is good for a $300 jacket but the way they're cut just doesn't make it. I don't think sizing down is going to help much.

Several people I know who collect vintage jackets have gone the sizing down route and have the pictures to show it looks better - John Chapman used to have a photo (I think it's on his cd now) of himself in sized down Flightsuits Historical A-2 sized down (normally wears a 44 or 46, wore a 42L in Flightsuits) and it looked good. Some others on the Flight Jacket forum have also done this. If you can access that forum, go ahead and ask, they'll (re)post the pics. Since they just migrated to a new site, the pics might not have made it.

Anyway, Allen (airfrog), you've seen the same photo's I've seen, and know the same folks, care to chime in?

-Jake

Several people I know who collect vintage jackets have gone the sizing down route and have the pictures to show it looks better - John Chapman used to have a photo (I think it's on his cd now) of himself in sized down Flightsuits Historical A-2 sized down (normally wears a 44 or 46, wore a 42L in Flightsuits) and it looked good. Some others on the Flight Jacket forum have also done this.

The pilots who originally wore them also did wear them sized down i think, in old pics they look tighter and shorter than the way most jackets are worn today.

Sometimes they even wore their flightjackets with a coat overneath.

The pilots who originally wore them also did wear them sized down i think, in old pics they look tighter and shorter than the way most jackets are worn today.

Sometimes they even wore their flightjackets with a coat overneath.

They didn't actually size down, though it does look like it - the jackets were tighter and short compared to modern ones. Tight, in part so they wouldn't snag on anything, short because that was the style - and pants were for the most part MUCH higher waisted and you were expected to sit in the jacket flying for hours.

-Jake

If I couldn't or wouldn't pay the $900 for a Goodwear and I couldn't get my hands on a used buzz or McCoy (it aint easy from the US and the prices for new are insane) and was thinking of a G&B or anything on that level I would first try to find some places nearby that had used leathers and see what was around. You can find some great jackets cheap that way and they'll have some character right off the bat and you can try it on and see if you like it. For me the motorcycle and aviators from the 30's-40's-50's looked fantastic and the modern cut stuff just doesn't look cool. The worst thing for me was when I wore my G&B someone said it reminded them of a "members only" jacket. There's no bigger insult for me.

how do i size on these? i wear a 40 on BR a2's ..

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/hinoya/br11507/

br11507-2.jpg

L-2's run big. I took a 44 in my B-15b MOD but a 42 in the L-2 (and L-2A). they're short waisted jackets though - just keep that in mind.

Thanks,

-Jake

so ill go with a 38 on these jake?

Yeah either that or a 40 would be just fine.

-Jake

What kind of weather is the L2-A good for? Is it a winter jacket?

It's technically a "light" flight jacket. Sort of like an MA-1 with no stuffing. It does have a wool/rayon (I think) mix fabric as a liner. But it's sort of like a flight jean jacket.

-Jake

I think the sizing is similar to the L-2's but - and this is all from memory - the navy jackets, they have a waterproof layer between the outer shell and the lining (which is probably alpaca or some similar wool blanket type thing. It's sort of like a plastic membrane - and it sort of sounds like a plastic bag is in your jacket all the time. But I've never seen one in the flesh so I don't know personally if that's true. Me personally, I prefer the zipper model deck jacket over that style which has firefighter like latches to close it up.

-Jake

An A-1 with a zip would cut it, but man the A-1 is pretty cool even with the buttons.

-Jake

MA-1's are supposed to have fairly puffy arms. If you can find an original, go for it - usually they are less puffy AND warmer than the reproductions (except Buzz Rickson reproductions which are like the originals).

-Jake

i just read this entire thread and i really wanna get an a-2 now. i really wanna be able to try on and feel the jacket before i drop some money on it. is there a place in nyc that i can check out some a-2s?

I believe US Authentic is in NYC as well. Check out their website. Again, it's not a super authentic jacket but better than many out there.

How much do you want to spend? Contact History Preservation Associates - they sell Eastman goods and would provide a try on jacket for fit (but I think you have to pay first).

Thanks,

-Jake

hey jake, the us authentic ones look pretty affordable for me, i think i will take my chances with them for my first a-2. my next question is, i just measured my chest and it's like about 40.5 and im 5"10, 175 lbs. what size would u recommend and what are ur opinions on their leather?

hey jake, the us authentic ones look pretty affordable for me, i think i will take my chances with them for my first a-2. my next question is, i just measured my chest and it's like about 40.5 and im 5"10, 175 lbs. what size would u recommend and what are ur opinions on their leather?

It's been a long time since I've looked at their website, but if memory serves they have a vintage horsehide option that is analine dyed. I have heard from people who have purchased Shaul's (the owner) jackets in it and been quite pleased.

As far as sizing goes, I would contact them - Shaul will be quite helpful. Just tell him what you want it to fit like and he will take care of you.

-Jake