Wrist Watches That Go With Denim! Give Me your Lists!

damienos

Deadpan, I like your Para AND the Tutima - is that a 5100 movement? I'm half thinking about getting a Heuer one of those.

Regular viewers will know that I flogged a load of Lees, 1933 and 1880s Levi's to fund one of these. It came entirely from the proceeds of what I had in the loft or under the bed... photo is by David Devos...

a.jpg

Great time piece Paul.

man, how do these watches go with denim? They don't seem to go with denim at all (if there even is such a watch). This is just a plain old watch thread.

As stated in the very first post, this is to keep the shoes (or boots as it's turned out to be) thread clean. It's sort of a watches that go with the boots that age well that go with denim thread. Sort of. :)

I'm a bit suprised there hasn't been more love for divers here. I'm not a big fan of them as I'm wristly challenged but there are some really cool looking divers out there that can really take a beating.

One of the reasons I sold all my Panerais. The crown lever loosens up over time and stops holding the crown in as tightly. Some very heavy collectors (hundreds of thousands of dollars into it) got out of Panerai. Not to mention, the very best straps for them aren't even water resistant. So here's this chunky dive watch that you can't get wet without shrinking or ruining the strap. The best thing about Panerai is the community. The only part of the watch community that's like the superfuture community. Though Omega and Rolex buffs are getting more friendly.

Panerai is hardly in the same league as AP, PP or VC, but I would say that they are largely responsible for the recent popularity surrounding chunky watches moving into the realm of 40mm and above after Vendome bought them out around 1996/7. IWC also recently increased the size of their Mark XVI classic pilots and Pilot chronographs and doppelchronos to 40mm and above. JLC and Bucherer are starting to push their sport watches into the 46-47mm area. While IWC came out with the Big Pilot (47mm) and Audemars Piguet with their Royal Oak Offshore model (46mm) in 1993, their price point is more than double the base Panerai watch.

At the end of the day, Panerai's success is the result of good marketing and restricting supply. Yes, they use an ordinary base ETA movement, but most do other watchmakers at that price point. They also just released their first in-house movement known as the caliber P.2002 with an 8-day power reserve, which starts around the five figure mark. On the other hand, most ETA-based movements have only about 40-48hrs of juice.

Panerai does have a very strong following, who usually hangout at Paneristi.com. It's also the only watch where changing straps is almost as popular as the watch itself. In Asia, it's become a very difficult watch to find in the authorized dealer shops. For the most part, the chance of you finding the exact PAM you want at an AD is very slim. For example, if you've been eyeing the limited addition PAM 199 Sub on the 'net, you better find a grey market dealer to hook it up. I've heard a lot of mixed things about the quality or service from Panerai dealers, but I've never had a problem with my PAM 164. If anything, its replaced my IWC 3706 or Rolex Explorer II. It'll also go with anything from t-shirt and jeans to French cuffs and Pink shits.

New bikes. I'm a speed freak. I started riding 4 years ago and the watches left quickly after. I wish I had kept the Patek 5056 now though.:(

I'm guessing Ducati? Always wanted one but just kept getting the Japanese ones. I used to ride waay to crazy and crash too much.

Main difference between an Italian bike and a Japanese one?

As you're sliding down the track trying to kick your Japanese bike away from you, you're thinking, $500, $600, $800...

As you're sliding downt the tracking trying to kick your Italian bike away from you, you're thinking OH MY FUCKING GOD $1000, $2000, $4000...

God I miss Willow...

Ducati Monster 1000DS is my cruiser bike and Aprilia Tuono is my true love. I just sold my track bike(CBR 600RR). Crashed twice at VIR. I'm thinking the new Kawi ZX6 for next track bike but in the meantime I'm going to take the Tuono and ride at 90% instead of 110% like on the Honda.:P

Did you give it up?

Ducati Monster 1000DS is my cruiser bike and Aprilia Tuono is my true love. I just sold my track bike(CBR 600RR). Crashed twice at VIR. I'm thinking the new Kawi ZX6 for next track bike but in the meantime I'm going to take the Tuono and ride at 90% instead of 110% like on the Honda.:P

Did you give it up?

I'm envious... The Tuono is so so sick! I sold my '03 ZX-6RR (it was a track bike but I stuck on a PIAA fog lamp and zip tied a trailer brake light to do some canyon carving) when I moved to Hawaii from San Diego. They don't have any canyon roads here (I really miss Palomar) and the track sucked ballz (then they closed it). And you can't split lanes here either. I'll get another bike if / when I move back to CA.

My buddies who race at Willow love their '06 R6s.

Viking, like the GMT. Here's a recent acquisition that goes with all my jeans

dt.side.gif

Is that the new model w/the Rolex movement? If it is, does it bug you having 28,800 beats? I thought they should have changed the new dial increments to reflect that. Not hating, just curious.

Yes, in-house. I like the fatter hands and the new lume on the dial. You're referring to 1/8 of a sec vs 1/10 of a sec increments? So divide each second into 4 instead of 5 on the dial? I understand that Rolex had always regulated down the Zenith movements to 28,800 and so it wasn't a change when they went in-house. I'm not a huge fan of chronos, so you might know better than I - do you know of any 28,800 beat chrono watch that has calibrated the dial like that?

I know G-P did 1/8 second increments on their Rattrapante and Patek when they were using the Breguet movement for their chrono. Some even used 1/5 increments when they slowed them to 18000 beats. I've been out of the watch game for a while so I can't recall exactly all the houses that do this. I just remember when the Rolex chrono was being developed there was a large body of WIS's who thought the dial should reflect the true time increments of the movement. I agreed thinking Rolex should put function over form but Rolex stuck to the traditional dial because it was asthetically more pleasing.

Anyway, I love the watch. This thread is bringing back a familiar itch that I haven't felt for a while. Better stop the watch talk. Cheers, Mike (Reformed WIS)

what do you think the chances (miniscule) of rolex updating the sub models to have a supercase and maxi dial this year? might wait til basel before buying just in case.

I think Rolex is going this way, like they did with the DateJusts - first they do it with the precious metal, then the steel versions. Panerai has been leading the bigger-is-better size thing in the watch industrty. But when Rolex will bring out the the steel sports models, not sure. I don't think the Sub will be the first one anyway. You can always buy now and sell later when/if the steel supercase comes out. I have the supercase GMT and it's not that great an improvement. What is good is the dial and bezel. The bracelet is not that comfortable - and I really like Rolex bracelets....

We'll see!

So mikesduc, what are you wearing for a watch these days? I know what it's like to be out of the WIS thing. II've got other stuff that I like to do, and so now I'm not that interested in watches, other than how they connect with that other stuff. Like shoes that look better with age that go with jeans!

DSCN0757.jpg

I've been wearing tis Datejust with white gold bezel for 4 years. I was actually without a watch for 6 mos. and my wife wanted me to get one. I chose this for versatility and durability.

Wathes I sold in August '02:

PP 5056( A joy to behold, I will own one again)

PP 5035 in YG

Jaeger Reverso Duo in WG (Stunning watch)

Rolex Thonderbird in SS and YG

Rolex GMTII

Blancpain Flyback Chrono in RG

Girard Perregaeux 1994 LTD with domed crystal(also stunning)

Girard Pgx Simpe Ferrari in Syainless.

Ebel Chrono

The ones I most regret selling are rthe 5056P and the Jaeger.

Loving the carbon fiber strap. Nice to see some of you guys go beyond denim... haha...and this post makes me want a Panerai, and I absolutely love the Heuer piece from a couple posts before, stunning..

This thing goes great with denim

IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1547.jpg

too bad its a fake piece of shit...