Three Cheers for Martin Scorsese

Aeros

Too bad he didn't write the story for his perfectly decent remake.

Does the director really have anything to do with the script though? I'm curious about that because I feel bad for the fact that the movie is getting knocked so hard for Infernal Affairs. I don't think Scorcese went, "I need an Oscar dammit. Let's pick THAT movie." Without him, the remake would have been shit. He completely deserves the award.

Does the director really have anything to do with the script though? I'm curious about that because I feel bad for the fact that the movie is getting knocked so hard for Infernal Affairs. I don't think Scorcese went, "I need an Oscar dammit. Let's pick THAT movie." Without him, the remake would have been shit. He completely deserves the award.

totally agree. it won a seperate oscar for ADAPTED SCREENPLAY. no one is pretending he created a totally original script. in many cases the director and screenwriter are seperate entities and it seems quite unfair to fault scorcese for admirably directing an adaptation as adaptations happen all the time, be it books, other films, tv, musicals, etc...

it was well directed mainstream american cinema, despite sharing a plot line with infernal affairs, it's direciton portrays a sensibility that is individual to this particular director, thus the BEST DIRECTOR award. seems alright to me.

totally agree. it won a seperate oscar for ADAPTED SCREENPLAY. no one is pretending he created a totally original script. in many cases the director and screenwriter are seperate entities and it seems quite unfair to fault scorcese for admirably directing an adaptation as adaptations happen all the time, be it books, other films, tv, musicals, etc...

it was well directed mainstream american cinema, despite sharing a plot line with infernal affairs, it's direciton portrays a sensibility that is individual to this particular director, thus the BEST DIRECTOR award. seems alright to me.

fuck that logic. the film Adaptation was an adatation (duh) and it took a real book and added so much more to it. departed took a film that came out a few years ago and is still riding on its crossover appeal and put hunkier americana ctors in it and pretty much went scene by scene right through it. if that deserves an oscar more than taxi driver than scorsese should have quit making movies a long time ago. hes not being heralded for his craft, he simply co opted a safe bet to get what he used to deserve. thats fucking brutal.

btw, i blame this all on jon stuart. his three six mafia joke last year meant they had to go scorsese ASAP. fuck that. jon stuart killed film.

but the best film of 2006?

really?

its not even scorsese's best film

imo the panel went, shit, we cant keep pasing on this guy, coz he is preety fly for a white guy and then threatened everyone else who didnt agree.

anyway, its been a long time since best film oscar actually went to the best film.

but congrats to scorsese anyhows

fuck that logic. the film Adaptation was an adatation (duh) and it took a real book and added so much more to it. departed took a film that came out a few years ago and is still riding on its crossover appeal and put hunkier americana ctors in it and pretty much went scene by scene right through it. if that deserves an oscar more than taxi driver than scorsese should have quit making movies a long time ago. hes not being heralded for his craft, he simply co opted a safe bet to get what he used to deserve. thats fucking brutal.

btw, i blame this all on jon stuart. his three six mafia joke last year meant they had to go scorsese ASAP. fuck that. jon stuart killed film.

learn how to spell "Stewart" and and stop mouthing off and stop giving the oscars WAY more credit than they are worth. if you realy think the academy is bullshit for giving this award, than why do you care so much??

this whole thing is so stupid. it's the fucking academy awards. Plus, why the fuck are you mentioning "Adaptation" when there are countless other actual adaptations of books and other films that come out every year? are you really saying you hate ALL films that are adaptations of anything? Or wait, are you saying it's cause its too recent? So should there be an amount of time one has to wait before adapting a book? what you call my "logic" isn't even logic, it's fact. adaptations happen all the time, screenwriters pitch scripts to studios which then hire directors to direct said script. they are seperate entities just like sidneylo was suggesting. to think every film that adapts something else is bad or uncreative is simply ridiculous.

EDIT: and anyway, both movies are good, so what's the big deal? there have been much greater "travesties" at the academy awards then scorsese winning for directing an adapted screenplay.

but the best film of 2006?

really?

its not even scorsese's best film

I agree wholeheartedly. But in the scheme of things, the awards have their own politics--and its very apparent. Scorsese deserved one, and he was long overdue. Hell, I'm sure you all noticed when they went overboard on the whole "we love black people" thing... shit.

EDIT: and anyway, both movies are good, so what's the big deal? there have been much greater "travesties" at the academy awards then scorsese winning for directing an adapted screenplay.

Not accusing anyone of this, but there are many who hate on the film because of blind loyalty to og HK films, much the same way as one would claim to liking a band before they were popular. Now that it's released into the mainstream Western culture, many of us would like to identify ourselves as ones who respected and recognized the original version. But it's getting in our way of enjoying this version--I must say, minus the damn hit-you-over-the-head symbolism of the rat (you know what I'm talking about), it was a fucking awesome movie.

i wish little miss sunshine had won. that was a much better movie in my opinion

Everyone and their mother knew LMS was not going to win. It just came at a bad point in time where LMS defined the sort of scripted quirkiness--and as a result, was the epitome of is genre--that did not win enough of the voters over. I, too, enjoyed that film immensely and wish it got more credit.

Guest jeffvyain

yea i hardly watch tv so i had no idea who was going to win til i saw the awards. but i'd seen both movies and preferred LMS over the departed, though not because of the quirkiness; rather, it was the feeling that that movie invoked in me that i preferred over scorsese's film.

Everyone and their mother knew LMS was not going to win. It just came at a bad point in time where LMS defined the sort of scripted quirkiness--and as a result, was the epitome of is genre--that did not win enough of the voters over. I, too, enjoyed that film immensely and wish it got more credit.

i think they threw it a bone with best screenplay and best supporting actor. although i didn't feel it was the best film of the year, i did enjoy it more than any of the other 4 films nominated.

http://www.slate.com/id/2160371/pagenum/all/

Here's an excerpt. Interesting read, though.

In other words, these characters are odd in a very formalized comedic way. Self-consciousness is part of the setup. They are almost-real people displaced into Cuckooland by a series of transparent indie conceits. The telltale stylistic quirks—the lingering close-ups, the deadpan tone—grant these characters the sort of dignity they wouldn't have in a studio comedy even as it readies you to see them doing some quite improbable things. Things like an 80-year-old snorting heroin and a ferociously repressed middle-aged man directing his family to steal a corpse.

The overtness of these gestures raises all sorts of red flags among critics, who have grown wary of Postmodern tricks in the Tarantino era. But since it's comedy we're talking about, the overriding critical question would seem to be: Is Little Miss Sunshine funny? I found it pretty funny, funnier by a long shot by than the vast majority of mainstream comedies, and, at the indie-plex screening I attended, a lot of people laughed. Little Miss Sunshine may not be a great film. The dad character is saved from being a malicious caricature only by Kinnear's marvelous performance, and the dance-party climax is pat and saccharine. But why should anyone be so annoyed by a genial comedy that clearly satisfies the genre-requirement that it be funny?

I think that it is rediculous to think that Scorsese didn't deserve the award for Best Director. You can make the argument that The Departed was not the best film of last year, although I do disagree, or you can even make the argument that The Departed is not the best film of Scorsese's career, which again I do not completely agree with. However if you just watch the film from a technical standpoint, which the academy was asked to do when voting for the Best Director award, and compare the direction of the Departed to any other film that was released in 2006 there is no way that you can honestly say that any other film of last year had better direction, shot selection, editing, acting, and overall mise-en-scene than The Departed did.

I think that it is rediculous to think that Scorsese didn't deserve the award for Best Director. You can make the argument that The Departed was not the best film of last year, although I do disagree, or you even make the argument that The Departed is not the best film of Scorsese's career, which again I do not completely agree with. However if you just watch the film from a technical standpoint, which the academy was asked to do when voting for the Best Director award, and compare the direction of the Departed to any other film that was released in 2006 there is no way that you can honestly say that any other film of last year had better direction, shot selection, editing, acting, and overall mise-en-scene than The Departed did.

1)Competition in the arts is retarded so the whole awards thing is pointless IMHO

2)Disregarding point number 1 and if we consider that Hollywood movies are the only movies being produced (with the occasional big budget "foreign" and suprise hit indie work thrown in) then The departed migh be in the top runner, among those I've seen. This isn't saying much but I guess it makes sense, considering he was snubbed before and the word out there is that he's really into those awards....

3)If you honestly believe this was an amazing movie then you need to watch more cinema, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more cinema.

3)If you honestly believe this was an amazing movie then you need to watch more cinema, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy more cinema.

I did think it was amazing from a technical stand point, but then again all of Scorsese's films are. Also the script was spectacular.