Three Cheers for Martin Scorsese

Aeros

Does the director really have anything to do with the script though? I'm curious about that because I feel bad for the fact that the movie is getting knocked so hard for Infernal Affairs. I don't think Scorcese went, "I need an Oscar dammit. Let's pick THAT movie." Without him, the remake would have been shit. He completely deserves the award.

I didn't care much for either film, to be honest. I thought the story was great, but both directors / films managed to be too over the top for me and managed to miss tension where they should have been by replacing it with action and overacting. There were interesting shots, and interesting elements, but I didn't think it was great overall. I don't watch the Oscars, so I don't even know who he was running against, so this may very well have been the best.

Jack Nicholson played a parody of himself, and in my opinion, ruined his role. Don't get me wrong, I love Nicholson, but he's playing his vision of himself in the way that Jack Black did in King Kong, and both did a poor job of it. This may seem an odd comparison, but watch how flat Black's last line lands at the end of King Kong: it's because there was never any believable substance to his character as a result of Black playing a slightly scummier version of himself. Same here: Nicholson played a scummier version of himself and he never stopped being "Jack Nicholson" and really got into his part. DiCaprio did a great job, and Damon didn't do terrible, but other than that... eh.

Again, this is all just opinion and frankly my first post was just to take the piss out of this thread. The Academy Awards are dumb anyway.