Fuck Canadian Customs

high_contrast

question for all you canucks. if something is new and sent to canada w/o the price tag, do they try and figure out a price for you guys?

it depends, if they decide to open and check the package, they will check if the declared value is valid (possible for the item). if they see the the item has been undervalued a lot, they will decide of the right taxable value

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canadian customs are really quite something, the best time to get items from elsewhere is during holidays, so many packages comes through they don't have time to look over everything, they simply ignores packages that would've been otherwise taxed.

Descriptions are also very important when marking a package, not just the claimed value or gift.

I got some beef with UPS as well, but that should be another thread of its own.

If I am in Alberta, hence no PST, then only GST charged. I think we agree, this is also what my experience and research confirms. I do not see people getting charged all this. I think most people are just ignorant as to what the charge is and it is actually a brokerage fee.

K I just looked it up and Alberta and Manitoba are PST free. Alberta cause they have no PST, and Manitoba because clothing and footwear shipped in are PST free.

Ya, well regardless, then I do not see where all this getting charged 30 bucks on 60 worth of stuff in duty/tax is coming from. You should only be charged applicable tax by the gov't.

All I have taken exception to is people saying they got charged xx, I would be curious to hear somebody say they had to pay Canadian Customs this much, not the carrier.

Frankly these threads pop up once in a while and I can honestly say duties are quite simple to manage in Canada and not that prohibitive if you use USPS. It's especially simple if what you get is from a private seller or one of the myriads of shops that have no problem marking as a gift with less than $50 value (hence no taxes at all).

Oh and if you don't want to get charged brokerage fee by a private carrier you have to go to their distribution center and handle the brokerage yourself.

BTW I paid a total of $55 canadian in duties last year, which is pretty good if you look at some of the things I've posted in "my recent purchases".

Ya, well regardless, then I do not see where all this getting charged 30 bucks on 60 worth of stuff in duty/tax is coming from. You should only be charged applicable tax by the gov't.

All I have taken exception to is people saying they got charged xx, I would be curious to hear somebody say they had to pay Canadian Customs this much, not the carrier.

This is most likely people who bought items from out of north america, or people who bought and the seller shipped with UPS or Fedex or something like that. Duties + taxes are around 25-31% usually for clothing. Then add the 5 bucks handling fee. UPS charges crazy brokerage fees, and unless you attempt to pick it up your self as already mentioned, then you are screwed.

• 9 months later...

can anyone help me and tell me what;s going on, i have ordered something on ebay from a private seller. As i was checking the status on ups, it says A HOLD HAS BEEN REQUESTED. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO RELEASE / THE RECEIVER HAS AGREED TO ACCEPT THE DELIVERY CHARGES. it also states that my package has experienced an exception.

does it mean that i have to pay for that huge tax thing as i was reading the previous posts here. Someone mentioned that i can pick it up by myself right? how does it work? can anyone help me? i have never got hit by the canadian customs, hopefully this wouldnt be the first time

thanks

can anyone help me and tell me what;s going on, i have ordered something on ebay from a private seller. As i was checking the status on ups, it says A HOLD HAS BEEN REQUESTED. PAYMENT MUST BE MADE PRIOR TO RELEASE / THE RECEIVER HAS AGREED TO ACCEPT THE DELIVERY CHARGES. it also states that my package has experienced an exception.

does it mean that i have to pay for that huge tax thing as i was reading the previous posts here. Someone mentioned that i can pick it up by myself right? how does it work? can anyone help me? i have never got hit by the canadian customs, hopefully this wouldnt be the first time

thanks

Your package is probably in the post office waiting for a customs payment. if that is the case you should have gotten a reciept of some sort delivered to your house saying your package is in the post office, and your amount that needs to be paid.

so it means i have to pay for that $35 while i bought the sweater for $74 only on ebay?

Your package is probably in the post office waiting for a customs payment. if that is the case you should have gotten a reciept of some sort delivered to your house saying your package is in the post office, and your amount that needs to be paid.

Frankly these threads pop up once in a while and I can honestly say duties are quite simple to manage in Canada and not that prohibitive if you use USPS. It's especially simple if what you get is from a private seller or one of the myriads of shops that have no problem marking as a gift with less than $50 value (hence no taxes at all).

Oh and if you don't want to get charged brokerage fee by a private carrier you have to go to their distribution center and handle the brokerage yourself.

BTW I paid a total of $55 canadian in duties last year, which is pretty good if you look at some of the things I've posted in "my recent purchases".

hmm i dont want to jinx myself but i agree with fumma. ive paid a total of 0$ in duties and ive bought lots of stuff from all over. uh-oh, im sure i just jinxed myself :eek: .

thanks

i am glad they won't charge you, but if this can help someone. if you know you'll be charged, the easiest way is to call UPS in advance with tracking number and tell them you'll come pick up your stuff at their warehouse (don't know where it is in toronto, but most likely close to the airport). when you get there, you'll have to fill a custom form and pay whatever taxes or dutie. if you are not sure they will charge you or not, wait until they deliver, if they try to charge you something, decline to pay and tell them you'll fill out the paperwork yourself. then the next day, go to the warehouse and fill out the paperwork. UPS has never done that to me, but FEDEX used to send out invoice after the product had been delivered which is a bitch cause once you have the item or payed the administrative fee, there's nothing you can do to get it back. also, brokerage fees are included if you use express shipping

but anyway, i haven't paid any custom fee for a long time and i buy all the time online, like fuuma sais, you just have to be careful about how you buy it from.

from my experience, i've only had items shipped to me via fedex/ups/loomis with brokerage charges + customs fees

i always use canadapost to ship and prefer people (from the usa) to ship shit to me via usps.. never had a problem with canadapost or usps even though it may not be as 'good' as other couriers.. gets the job done.

whats the point of NAFTA then? i thought it was supposed to give us free trade among states and mexico. politics bothers me

free trade is restricted to products produced within one of the member nations. so you wouldn't have to pay anything on a pair of Levi's made in the US, but you would on a pair made in Japan.

just want to say

fuck canada customs

keep buying shit abroad until stores here get the message

i only support indepedent businesses when it comes to clothing in Toronto... can't be bothered to pay a premium for shit service and ambiance

Have to agree, been grabbing things online since it's always such a good deal for us. I'm assuming that last bits in regards to Holt; I was thinking about it the other day, and what I do have from there, has always been purchased at a sale. Just isn't worth it otherwise (unless I'm just wanting to try shit on for sizing purposes).

UPS blows. Very few things, in life, aggravate me as much as having to deal with UPS. I hate everything about them and have learned to clearly specify to sellers (most often in the US) to ship via USPS whom I am very satisfied with.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody have anything to report on delayed shipping times for items entering Canada?

I've bought a crap load of stuff in the past few weeks up to today and have not received much. Even the speedy shipping from Hide-san's proxy seems to be delayed somewhere and the canadapost.ca website doesnt seem to be very responsive to tracking numbers.

Anybody have any shipping waits/times to report? Or even experiences in the past around the holiday season?

Does anybody have anything to report on delayed shipping times for items entering Canada?

I've bought a crap load of stuff in the past few weeks up to today and have not received much. Even the speedy shipping from Hide-san's proxy seems to be delayed somewhere and the canadapost.ca website doesnt seem to be very responsive to tracking numbers.

Anybody have any shipping waits/times to report? Or even experiences in the past around the holiday season?

canada post have said a few times in the past weeks that items shipped from overseas were being delayed at customs because of much higher traffic than usual caused by the high value of the dollar combined with the holiday season. so unfortunetely, it's normal