grime post future dub funky step step dom dom dom dom

FELiS

What would you call it? There is a lot of percussion, but if you listen closely it's mostly dubstep-type patterns, but as usual the track develops a mind of its own so I guess the dubstepness got lost in translation.

The drum patterns. Even though there is a breakbeat slamming away, the kick and snare are still very much dubstep and the tempo, 75bpm (I can't write well at half time 140), is only slightly faster than most dubstep.

How is dubstep defined? I might be totally off here, but my thinking is: If it's at 140 (if playing at half time) or similar, has a complex percussive rhythms, a few "drops" and a bass-focused melody, it's probably dubstep.

I'm not trying to argue so don't take any of these comments as somehow accusitory, I just really don't know what I should call it. A discussion about the definition of dubstep would probably be benefitial to this thread as well.

Haploid your tune is pretty tough to classify but in my opinion it sounds closest to "Trip Hop". I could totally see this on Ninja Tune, at least the first half anyways.

Dubstep in itself is pretty tough to describe as there are so many different styles but the one thing that ties them all together is the syncopated groove that the kick and snare define.

Check out this vid, not sure what you're using (guessing fruity loops) but he's using Acid (lol). Regardless Rusko is the man and the main talking points pretty much apply to all styles of dubstep

S4rDC1kuHtc

Saw Shackleton live last night, fucking smashed it.

haploid - re: what is/isn't dubstep... there's a whole lot of things, but I think one of the most important things that sets dubstep apart from similar genres is it's referencing of it's predecessors - grime derived bass, uk garage vocal hooks, swingy double tempo hihats. It's definitely more complex than 'half tempo and mega reverb'. To be honest I'm cynical as to whether a lot of 'dubstep' should even be termed so... 2562 seems to spend more time referencing old FSOL records than London garage, for example.

Also 75bpm might not seem that different a tempo to dubstep, but when you double it up you're clocking at 150, which is waaaay fast.

What would you call it? There is a lot of percussion, but if you listen closely it's mostly dubstep-type patterns, but as usual the track develops a mind of its own so I guess the dubstepness got lost in translation.

Rhythm and choice of timbres are much more idiomatic of trip hop than dubstep to be honest. As said before there's way too many ideas going on at once, and the hihats get really messy. Probably just need to lose that breakbeat over the top I think.

as dubstep gets more popular, a TON of generic dance music is taking dubstep-esque choices in tones, percussion, etc. it's really funny to hear my friends be like "check out this tight dubstep joint!" and i'm like "bro, just because it has wobbly bass doesn't mean it's dubstep"

haploid - re: what is/isn't dubstep... there's a whole lot of things, but I think one of the most important things that sets dubstep apart from similar genres is it's referencing of it's predecessors - grime derived bass, uk garage vocal hooks, swingy double tempo hihats. It's definitely more complex than 'half tempo and mega reverb'. To be honest I'm cynical as to whether a lot of 'dubstep' should even be termed so... 2562 seems to spend more time referencing old FSOL records than London garage, for example.

Also 75bpm might not seem that different a tempo to dubstep, but when you double it up you're clocking at 150, which is waaaay fast.

Honestly tempo gets really twisted by the producer anyway, a bunch of the Instra:mental stuff is that tempo but doesn't feel like it, Loefah has a bunch of 145 bpm stuff and no one could tell. Then again those are half-step bits.

Thanks for the input,

By the way, the high hats sound so strange because the samples are chopped as if they were going to be played in succession at 100 BPM, so by putting it at 75, I've effectively created an intense triplet-type stutter.

I think I'm just going to continue going where this track wants to take me, and not try to revise it to a more dubstep type composition. But, I'll take what you told me to heart when I next decide to take that route.

np:

HD4000 - Jekal

Sukh Knight - Diesel not Petrol (Noah D remix)

Noah D - Seeeriousss

Riz MC - Radar (Sukh Knight remix)

16bit - The Tale of the Exploding Fist

Foreign Beggars - Hit that Gash (Itchy Naaan rerub)

Shandy - Doom

Knight Riderz - Hold On

Excision & Datsik - Swagga

Datsik - 3 Fist Style

Zeno - False Alarm

Anyone know what movie the samples in this are from?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl9CJn-SeTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl9CJn-SeTs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thanks for the input,

By the way, the high hats sound so strange because the samples are chopped as if they were going to be played in succession at 100 BPM, so by putting it at 75, I've effectively created an intense triplet-type stutter.

I think I'm just going to continue going where this track wants to take me, and not try to revise it to a more dubstep type composition. But, I'll take what you told me to heart when I next decide to take that route.

Maybea HPF would make it blend better, there's some middley frequencies that are cluttering up the rhythm a bit. Or maybe hard panning the triplets one side and the eighth-notes the other. I dunno, brain is fuzzed from too many cigarettes and coffees to think straight.