grime post future dub funky step step dom dom dom dom

FELiS

you have the vinyl with spliff dub original - no remix? fucking impressive if so.

no, its the rustie remix/mu5h pressing from 2008. Its not super-rare but its not that easy to find either. hyperdub re-released it in 2009.

the original as far as i know never got released apart from on a compilation, there was one with starkey and sukh knight remixes but thats pretty much impossible to find.

no, its the rustie remix/mu5h pressing from 2008. Its not super-rare but its not that easy to find either. hyperdub re-released it in 2009.

the original as far as i know never got released apart from on a compilation, there was one with starkey and sukh knight remixes but thats pretty much impossible to find.

before i posted here, coincidentally i asked on twitter and @'d zomby. he fucking messaged me about it(!) so i asked. pretty dope, it's out there somewhere!

the top part is in response to the remix he did of ttc - travailler. seems like a nice dude despite what people say about him.

n4uxsi.png

before i posted here, coincidentally i asked on twitter and @'d zomby. he fucking messaged me about it(!) so i asked. pretty dope, it's out there somewhere!

the top part is in response to the remix he did of ttc - travailler. seems like a nice dude despite what people say about him.

n4uxsi.png

i stand corrected.

to be honest the only mix i ever even liked of that song was the rustie one. If i came across the original in a store i'd probably cop it tho just 'cause.

its weird that the liquid dancehall/strange fruit single sounds a lot more like how rustie made his remix of spliff dub sound than zomby's original, which was more stripped down.

most of these dubstep producers have day jobs, internet hype would make it seem otherwise.

i'm pretty certain zomby, at least used to, browse these forums.

i undertook an investigative missions and uncovered a lot to suggest he's a member/lurker on these parts, infamously he stole one of ordo's pic for a pitchfork column tiiiime ago.

that said i still think he's a cunt, my mate is a huge fan and asked to do a remix of one of his tracks, and he acted like a complete wanker and threatened him and shit..

i undertook an investigative missions and uncovered a lot to suggest he's a member/lurker on these parts, infamously he stole one of ordo's pic for a pitchfork column tiiiime ago.

I do remember seeing this picture from his performance at the roxy a few months back and thought it could definitely be a post for waywt3641865440_dac9971c60.jpg

that said i still think he's a cunt, my mate is a huge fan and asked to do a remix of one of his tracks, and he acted like a complete wanker and threatened him and shit..

what other evidence is there?

yeh zomby, post a waywt

zomby.jpg

that was one of the clues

what other evidence is there?

yeh zomby, post a waywt

man, i know it sounds lame but i can't really remember what horrible untruths i uncovered, but i remember it was a shock to the system and could have changed the dubstep landscape as we knew it.

I may reopen the case one day..

Dubstep Police

that interview was good. i try not to read too much into the hype words but zomby really is 'post-internet'

oh and its added evidence to the case of him being a regular on sufu

if he's reading this he should do a q&a for us

q: when do you think the dubstep tent is gonna collapse

because while my favorite thing about dubstep is the incredibly forward-thinking community it's created (it's like moore's law applied to a music scene) there's definitely a limited amount of time the continually diverging subgenres can remain cohesive

seems like there's four main pillars these days:

- brostep (www.brostepforum.com)

- deep dubstep

- ragga dubstep

- whatever what hyperdub puts out is called (zomby goes here)

trying to classify the almost "ambient garage" of hyperdub with the wobble bass bros is an exercise in futility that can only be kept up for so long

yeh good read, thanks for the link dubz. i've read it elsewhere too - i can't believe how many tunes zomby makes.

i'm kind of obsessed with his style/approach since its a lot like how a visual artist works. Where Were U was like a sketchbook... quick unfinished gestures, repeated, but so raw. and nothing really has to make sense.

^ i don't think zomby knows or seems concerned. part of the fun is probably not knowing where it's all going and just doing your thing.

it's wankery to generalise hyperdub's discog asambient garage

wankery.

I also don't see why there's such compulsion for the categorisation of music, the best stuff is often an amalgamation of various influences (it seems to me anyway). if eventually an offshoot from under the dubstep/bro/wonky/funky umbrella veers into completely unrecognisable/new territory - then good! I look forward to it.

it's wankery to generalise hyperdub's discog asambient garage

wankery.

I also don't see why there's such compulsion for the categorisation of music, the best stuff is often an amalgamation of various influences (it seems to me anyway). if eventually an offshoot from under the dubstep/bro/wonky/funky umbrella veers into completely unrecognisable/new territory - then good! I look forward to it.

agreed, that's why it was in quotes bro.

and while i personally agree with your second point, it's immaterial - there clearly is such a compulsion for categorization. music creates communities of listeners based on some degree of shared aesthetics and philosophy, and artists working within those communities often share the same audience.

when there's an aesthetic and philosophical divide as deep as the one developing in dubstep, it's destructive to that community - particularly if one starts to overpower the other and dominates the "genre brand".

here's a direct parallel: the development of jump-up dnb earlier this decade, which completely overwhelmed and nearly killed the dnb "scene". dnb still isn't fully recovered, and it's going to be afflicted by the stigma of "car commercial / videogame music" for an indefinite future.

i'd hate for dubstep to become "wobble bass music that girls don't dance to" in 5 years time.

dubstep is already called 'wobbly bass music' and we all know girls don't dance to it.

but honestly, who gives a toss? why are we already talking about dubstep's legacy? I don't think it's anywhere near the mainstream for now, let alone car ads.

you actually said it yourself, 'there's definitely a limited amount of time the continually diverging subgenres can remain cohesive' - it's inevitable, relax and ride the wave (or use your own corny phrase)