virtual stock exchange

steven

Anyone here use any online brokers like E-Trade? There seems to be quite a few out there. Are there any major differences amongst the online brokers?

my girlfriend works for scottrade. the only things to look out for with the different discount brokers are the amount of $$$ per transaction and also if there are any maintenance fees. no bias because she works there but at $7 per transaction and no maintenance costs, it's the best deal. i think e-trade is pretty much around the same.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my girlfriend works for scottrade. the only things to look out for with the different discount brokers are the amount of $$$ per transaction and also if there are any maintenance fees. no bias because she works there but at $7 per transaction and no maintenance costs, it's the best deal. i think e-trade is pretty much around the same.

i have etrade, but would have rather have had scott trade. the transaction fees are like $14 for etrade, they were $20 back a few years back, but that adds up. and even more for more transactions...

i have etrade, but would have rather have had scott trade. the transaction fees are like $14 for etrade, they were $20 back a few years back, but that adds up. and even more for more transactions...

you can always pull out. scottrade requires a minimum of $500 in the account but that's about it. do you have an ira with etrade?

lol @ BOA. so basically if you keep 25k in your accounts (for them to accrue interest) then you'll get $240 worth of trades per month.... where most people won't use a third of that. i guess it's a good deal if you're already banking with them but in my opinion, fuck BOA. shade central. i really don't care for any superbank but i really despise them.

• 1 month later...
I thought it would be a good idea to invest in American bank stocks since youd think there would be a ton of foreign investment right now. Well that went to shit..

Actually it might be a good time to buy since they are oversold. At least Morgan, Goldman, Lehman...but man, I never would have thought Merrill would go to shit in a million years.

Anyone know the name of the Japanese company that owns like half of the Japanese television market? I just remember Bill Gates has a TON of money in it. Also is it possible for U.S. citizens to buy Japanese stocks without all the huss and fuss that China makes you do to buy their stocks?

Actually it might be a good time to buy since they are oversold. At least Morgan, Goldman, Lehman...but man, I never would have thought Merrill would go to shit in a million years.

Wait till we see the other banks' reporting. I'm sure you know that Merrill's quarter picked up September whereas the other banks haven't reported that time period yet. It is likely that Merrill will have suffered the greatest loss, but I think other banks will also take huge write downs. It's not clear that everyone has "taken their medicine" and moved on. Banks could still be contemplating ways to put off writing things down.

I come from the High Yield/Bank Loan side of the market and it seems that banks are going to carefully plan their distribution so as not to send the bid side of the market plummeting (and forcing themselves to write down everything that's stuck on their balance sheet in the process). It's going to take a while for this to happen though. It's not a good time to be in the structured credit business.

I'm not an equities guy but I think you're right on buying the banks when they're cheap though. One can make a good argument that any time you can buy a cheap Goldman or Lehman is a good idea, especially if you're willing to hold them beyond a short-term horizon.

Wait till we see the other banks' reporting. I'm sure you know that Merrill's quarter picked up August/Sept whereas the other banks haven't reported that time period yet. It is likely that Merrill will have suffered the greatest loss, but I think other banks will also take huge write downs. It's not clear that everyone has "taken their medicine" and moved on. Banks could still be contemplating ways to put off writing things down.

I come from the High Yield/Bank Loan side of the market and it seems that banks are going to carefully plan their distribution so as not to send the bid side of the market plummeting (and forcing themselves to write down everything that's stuck on their balance sheet in the process). It's going to take a while for this to happen though. It's not a good time to be in the structured credit business.

I'm not an equities guy but I think you're right on buying the banks when they're cheap though. One can make a good argument that any time you can buy a cheap Goldman or Lehman is a good idea, especially if you're willing to hold them beyond a short-term horizon.

actually goldman is up for the year

just learned about things called level 3 assets which are almost illiquid ones and looks like that more writedowns are coming only merrill shows a "reasonable" lvl3/equity ratio look at that might be still early to come back on banks

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2007/11/06/8661/from-level-three-to-cloud-nine/

by leverage i mean financing your stock purchases by borrowing money (with a guarantee).

example: buying $1000 apple with $200 in cash and the other $800 borrowed, if aapl ups 10% you win 100$ (1000$*10%) getting a 50% (100$/200$) return on your investment, obviously you can guess what happens if aapl is down 10%

you can get leverage to by buying options instead of shares themselves

but i think some people in here will explain it better

actually goldman is up for the year

just learned about things called level 3 assets which are almost illiquid ones and looks like that more writedowns are coming only merrill shows a "reasonable" lvl3/equity ratio look at that might be still early to come back on banks

http://ftalphaville.ft.com/blog/2007/11/06/8661/from-level-three-to-cloud-nine/

But Goldman hasn't reported September yet. I don't think they'll even come close to tanking, but September was a horrible month on the structured credit side of the market.

by leverage i mean financing your stock purchases by borrowing money (with a guarantee).

example: buying $1000 apple with $200 in cash and the other $800 borrowed, if aapl ups 10% you win 100$ (1000$*10%) getting a 50% (100$/200$) return on your investment, obviously you can guess what happens if aapl is down 10%

you can get leverage to by buying options instead of shares themselves

but i think some people in here will explain it better

Leverage is what makes the world go 'round...

I think you described it well enough. Leverage can be as simple as a plain vanilla prime brokerage account but it can get very complex through structured products. Some sophisticated investors will do anything to get leverage on an investment strategy they like. Or better yet, people will use leverage to acquire products that are already levered. Leverage is a key component to almost all high returning investment strategies, particularly private equity (ie a PE firm buys an $11bln company by putting up $1 billion of their own cash and borrowing $10 billion in the form of syndicated loans).

I dont recommend margin accounts if thats what you guys are getting at.

Im just using extra cash I had sitting in my account since the tech crash. Not enough to get rich on or anything but fun for when Im bored at work.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend individual investors to play in highly leveraged margin accounts. I think some commodities brokers allow you leverage of up to 18 to 1?! While there is attractive upside since you only have to put a fraction of the mark to market for a position, the downside also scales exponentially. Usually players who work w/ high leverage actually "hedge" and buy protection on their positions just in case the market goes against them, in theory nullifying their losses.