Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

englandmj7

i borrowed their first record from the library

but i didn't like it

:(

i have trouble listening to young white dude musics

Please listen to Grails - Black Tar Prophecies.

normally I hate AMG but this is a good review:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:xe5s8qzcbtv4

As a band, Grails have embraced something far more experimental about themselves. Sonically, the disc is clean — even when the plentiful fuzzed-out and distorted electric guitar is present. But Black Tar Prophecies is more speculative and more solid. There is a focus on ideas and execution rather than on repetition. Some things sound like they were recorded live in the studio; others sound like the sonic effects were added on not as an afterthought but as part of the process. The spirit of the great '60s and '70s experimenters is in here (from Can and Faust to Jean-Claude Vannier, early Eloy, and Flower Travelling Band), but Grails sound like themselves. Rock, jazz, free-form freakouts, droning soundscapes, plodding dubbed-up and out bass — they are all here, making for one of the most adventurous records to come out in 2006 and perhaps, when all is said and done, one of the very best.

^ heh. a while ago it got to the point where if they recommended something, i avoided it, and if they hated it, i bought it and liked it--------kinda like Leonard Maltin's movie reviews. but then it just became easier to ignore.

anyway, just bought that grails CD. hope you didn't steer me wrong, minya, or you will pay in flesh.

I don't have the album yet, but I have to admit to still enjoy "Black Mirror" or whatever. It's not really pushing any boundaries although it's a little "darker" or blah blah blah but it's kind of catchy. You could still stick it in their last album somewhere and no one would notice, or care.

I'll still probably soulseek this eventually either way, unless someone wants to yousendit or whatever (wink wink).

how could you honestly not like funeral? i mean, to each his own and everything, but i think that's a great album. i've yet to hear anything from the new one, but i needed to get that out there.

as for pitchfork: whiny hipster kids trying too hard? yes, a lot of the time. but i still like some of their reviews. i really don't think they're the hideous entity some people make them out to be.

Because its a pale, pale comparison of what it was 6-7 years ago. Once Brent left that shit went downhill quick.

I've been reading it for at least 7 years...I find it useful for upcoming shows and music news...what other sites are as resourceful?

I think Pitchfork is great just for the 5 reviews a day and giving a ton of great bands much needed exposure. I generally take each review with a grain of salt and listen for myself.

As for Arcade Fire, the one and probably only time I saw them they put on a fantastic show but the venue (Danforth music hall in Toronto) was fucking terrible with a small area for people to be near the stage. As for Neon Bible, some songs are great and some are instantly forgettable. My favourite new song is Ocean of Noise but it's interesting that their best song overall is No Cars Go which has been around for quite a long time.

I predict Pitchfork will rip this album apart.

where is everybody getting copies of this? It's not on the usual torrent site I go to (which has consistently brought me releases 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule)

edit: I realized with the help of wikipedia that it leaked on January 26th. I'm guessing the reason why I'm not seeing it is because it's a rip with really shitty bitrate <192kbps. and how many versions of "no cars go" can they keep making? I think this is the 3rd incarnation

I never got into Funeral either, so some of you aren't alone. It was the music, not the hype that killed it for me... I can't stand that we're-so-indie-we-can-make-sucky-music-and-the-hipsters-will-buy-it-and-love-it-anyway genre of music.

How can this be possible? How can a band's first record be "so indie" when it's their debut?

It's not surprising that on a forum known for its pretentiousness, you guys are managing to pick apart the band that was almost universally given the #1 album of 2004, certainly top 10. At the end of the decade, among people who appreciate good music, I can't imagine a more important band emerging from these ten years. "Neon Bible" is fucking fantastic, it's not as good as Funeral, but I think that's because it feels less epic. There's only 1 track I can 't get into on Neon Bible, but even then only one of them (Ocean of Noise) has that bravado that Arcade Fire achieved on "Tunnels" and "Rebellion" and "Wake Up."

If critics are praising Arcade Fire, it's because they are obscenely talented, producing unique music and doing it with ardor.