idiocracy

poly800rock

It got a limited release for all of two weeks in NYC and that's it! I think with the right promotion it definately could have made a couple of bucks.

I'm with Poly on this one though. I know that he's done better, and done funnier, but there was a certain cheap decadence in the set design that made the future look like a plastic junkyard with a painted backdrop, and while the acting was pretty horrible, it didn't even fucking matter because that wasn't the point ( if anything, it kind of made the movie stronger).

The point was,,,if we continue to live in the style that we choose...our future will be one Giant Costco, with the options of "gentlemen's Lattes" with or without foam, where our crops are watered with Gatorade because it's "what plants want". The movie forgoes some sort of knowing intellectual subtlty and instead goes straight for the throat. Its not trying to be smart...and that's what I liked best. Mike Judge obviously finds his characters behavior repugnant...but he doen't sneer at them...because it is fairly clear that he counts himself among them in certain respects.

This film won't appeal to alot of "discerning" movie goers because it does not make you feel "special", "in the know", or particularly "smart". It satisfies our basest instincts for laughter...and in doing so makes its point crystal clear. If this is the diet that America thrives on...Cheap laughs and supersize combos...we've sealed out own fate.

someone on IMDB was worried how it might be really subtle humor like judge often does....the review from the test screen was "If you're worried about this being subtle, then worry no more, it's about as low brow as you can get" I saw it a few more times this week and it actually gets better. There are some background scenes that I never noticed the first time and laughed out loud about how ridiculous they were...

• 8 months later...

yeah, it just didn't work for me like I thought it would. Great plot, good actors for it, Mike Judge is awesome...but the sum was less than the parts. Although I thought the Dil-Dozer was hilarious, and the president had "Mountain Dew" or "Taco Bell" in his name. And Upgraydd--Double D for a double dose of pimp game.

Welcome to Costco... I love you.

i liked it. i remember going nuts trying to find a theatre that was screening the movie when it "released", only to find that it was playing in a few spots in texas. i didn't even know NYC had a limited showing. i jumped on it as soon as it was released on dvd earlier this year. there are some downright fucking hilarious scenes, and it holds well over multiple views. it's a little frightening how close to home some of their depictions felt.

I thought it was a brilliant concept, but not so well executed. But maybe just not my style of movie (though I'm a fan of a lot of stuff). I thought the pacing was off, it ran slow. Which probably shouldn't happen in a movie that should be at the very least superficially funny. But then again, I wasn't a fan of Office Space (I had the same sort of issues with that movie, so maybe I'm just not a fan of Judge). It had it's moments, but on the whole, uneven and lacking.

idiocracy gets better each time you watch it. i was sorely disappointed the first time i saw it. i think it's great now.

I don't know if I could do that. Granted you're probably right, I couldn't stand Office Space the first time through. Each time it's more tolerable. I just don't know when I'll ever watch Idiocracy again. Until it's run on like USA at 3am in 2 years. And then it's edited to hell for content and totally different and crap in another way. So I think it's just going to remain a not good movie for me. But it was a brilliant concept.

i don't think the movie was suppose to be a blockbuster by anymeans. the concept wasn't suppose to be complex or multi-layered either. he had an idea about the future and just like any director with that idea, made a movie about it. it just so happens that his movie was a lot better than most futuristic movies that are made these days.