football: the beautiful game

RobbertJan

first goal was bullshit though.

worst call of the tournament so far.... and considering the previous games and the offside calls have been super accurate... two dutchmen were offside on that goal...

2nd was brilliant though.

panucci was behind the goal. dont think he is automatically out of the game because of it. anyways, in my opinion van nistelrooy should have penalty and buffon should be shown the red card.

Panucci was already out of play by the time the ball was kicked to Ruud.

As for the penalty the replays they showed didn't show any contact from Buffon. I was actually impressed by Ruud not falling down after that. Much respect there. Nice to see a forward stay on their feet for once.

But man Holland has been the most impressive team so far with the Krauts a close second.

What about the Portuguese? Those guys show promise.

Yeah promise. But have yet to deliver. I do find that Nuno Gomez as their out-right striker is not enough of a threat.

Holland and Germany have delivered straight off the bat. Holland edges over Germany for me... especially once Robben comes back and v.Persie is 100% again. These two teams have been the ones that have been able to bring the ball to the forwards on numerous occasions to make REAL threats. Portugal, Croatia, the Czech Rep. and France haven't shown enough of that.

I guess it comes to that 'team' aspect of the players. How well the individuals work together. On paper is one thing, on the pitch is another. And France who I thought would come out guns blazing really disappointed.

Italy were surprisingly fast though!

Panucci was already out of play by the time the ball was kicked to Ruud.

If a player is "temporarily out of play" he can be considered as still being on the pitch. The referees made a quick call and I think they got it right. After all we don't want defenders removing themselves from play intentionally to create offside situations.

If a player is "temporarily out of play" he can be considered as still being on the pitch. The referees made a quick call and I think they got it right. After all we don't want defenders removing themselves from play intentionally to create offside situations.

But if the defender brings himself out of play intentionally to create an offside, he would need permission of the ref to get back on the pitch. And the ref may not let him in immediately. Therefore in the heat of play, the defender would reduce the number of men on his side which may make it worse for his team.

Guest umhaha84
Yeah promise. But have yet to deliver. I do find that Nuno Gomez as their out-right striker is not enough of a threat.

exactly, they are gonna need more talented forward than Nuno Gomez to win this

Guest umhaha84
2 words: Cristiano Ronaldo.

With the soon to be 300,000 pounds a week wunderkid, who needs a conventional forward?

remember Portugal lost to Greece last euro

Ronaldo wasn't as good as he is right now,,,but I'm pretty sure Germany,Italy, Netherlands are far more talented team than greece(+home advantage) from last euro,,,

remember Portugal lost to Greece last euro

Ronaldo wasn't as good as he is right now,,,but I'm pretty sure Germany,Italy, Netherlands are far more talented team than greece(+home advantage) from last euro,,,

Actually the problem with Ronnie is that he cant' shine in the big matches. Sure, he has scored against Chelsea and I think Pool last season, but the entire game, he just doesnt sparkle and dominate like against the other teams. Same for internationals.

Guest umhaha84
Actually the problem with Ronnie is that he cant' shine in the big matches. Sure, he has scored against Chelsea and I think Pool last season, but the entire game, he just doesnt sparkle and dominate like against the other teams. Same for internationals.

you just proved my point,

it might take one special talented player to win a game (which he is), but to win tournament like Euro2008 it takes more than one player. ( just remembered how he fumbled his pk at champs final)

you just proved my point,

it might take one special talented player to win a game (which he is), but to win tournament like Euro2008 it takes more than one player. ( just remembered how he fumbled his pk at champs final)

He is young, he got many years to hone his skills and maturity.

This will be his Real audition. If Real is willing to offer 300K for him now and a world record transfer fee of 50 to 75 million, imagine if Portugal wins Euro 08 and Ronnie plays a big part in them doing so, what will Real do?

Calderon will be bidding to 100 million for him and would the Glazers then say no?

So it seems the majority of us were wrong according to UEFA. RVN was onside.

Kinda ridiculous that an injured man who's off the pitch and not intentionally trying to gain an advantage is able to play a stiker onside, especially if you consider a stiker can do exactly the same at the other end of the pitch without committing an offence. Also if a player exit the field of play he needs a referee to give him permission to come on again WTF!

i think you people are understimating the powerhouse that portugal now is, the team is practically flawless, ronaldo is not the only player that shines. we should have better than nuno gomes for his position, but he usually does the job in international competitions.

But man Holland has been the most impressive team so far with the Krauts a close second.

it was a great match but the dutch defense is still pretty untested. khalid boulahrouz, need i say more? don't know if the italians really asked enough questions of it and luca toni was way off form. also not really sure if i follow the logic of forklifting in a midfield from a club that was piss poor but hey.

anyway, i'm pretty sure 4 pts will be enough to qualify from this group and imo the italians will do enough - esp if france continue to recreate their wc2002 form.