Rap and how pop culture affects denim

AlwayzFresh2Death

I wear a lot of RMC, Evisu, and those jeans are now centered around rap and hip-hop. A lot of black guys are constantly asking me where I got them. I was wondering what you guys think of this. Now of course you guys probably dont consider RMC or evisu nice, more like sugas, or PBJ, but really. Does rap really have that much affect on our community (denim community). As an italian, who is in to rap and hip-hop, I find it sort of overwhelming...

thanks

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO, I Dont think you understand what I mean by "a lot". I go to school in D.C. And my highschool is across the street fomr UDC ( about 70% african american), so everyday, someone comes up to me and asks. Its annoying, but also kind of nice. I just wanted a third party opinion... Thanks.

so they ask about your jeans...im not really sure about what the question is. Evisu's and RMC's tend to be baggier...and im damn sure the majority of hiphop-rap influenced people arent about go out and buy some slim fit premium denim stuff, so they go for the baggier looking premium stuff. Thats my guess but im still not sure what the question is.

It's always interesting to see how people associate the evisu-worn-all-low-and-oversized with a culture or musical scene. I'll grant that the hip hop scene is closely associated with that look but how long before people move on to the next hyped brand or rappers decide to wear something else (puff daddy mostly wears suits nowadays, eg). Anyways I know lots of fans of hip hop music who dress completely differently and it saddens me to think that people dress a certain way because of a musical artist... Wow I dont think that makes any sense.

But I am also talking about music videos and songs, in Akons latest "I wanna "love" you" song hes wearing a pair fo "The year of" jeans, I have that pair, and people on the street were like "yo dos jeaneses or tight, akons get those jonses..." Sp, thats what I really mean.

No you make sense. I get it. But my real question here is, why?? I geuss it sort of answers its self tho. Sorry to waste a thread...

Because people are sheep. They would rather have someone else decide what constitutes "cool" for them. This is why you have trend-setters and trend-followers. Trend-followers need an external source to point to and say "I think that person is cool and hence whatever he/she does/says/wears is cool and by emulating it that will make me cool too." Better to be sure of yourself than rely on others to define your style for you.

you mentioned you are 16, when you are in high school you are trying to belong so if you see someone wearing a loud shiny jean with distinguishing characteristics, you say me too. so basically at that age its about showing off, so in high school 250 dollar evisus are more impressive than $700 jomons that only the most hardcore of the hardcores would be able to recognize

Well I really just dont see the point of paying $700 for something that looks so plain. its the same thing for other clothes, there is a huge difference bewteen a $45 Nautica dress shirt and a $650 Stefano Ricci dress shirt. The difference is so apparent that you would have to have brain damage not to see it. But when I look at sugas, samurias, d'artisans, PBJ's (not always becasue I ahve some of these), I just cant drive mself to pay $300 for somthing that looks the same as everything else. But,yes I do see your point. Thanks...

Well I really just dont see the point of paying $700 for something that looks so plain. its the same thing for other clothes, there is a huge difference bewteen a $45 Nautica dress shirt and a $650 Stefano Ricci dress shirt. The difference is so apparent that you would have to have brain damage not to see it. But when I look at sugas, samurias, d'artisans, PBJ's (not always becasue I ahve some of these), I just cant drive mself to pay $300 for somthing that looks the same as everything else. But,yes I do see your point. Thanks...

i see what your saying

but look at any pair of brand new raw denims from 20 feet away

they look like indistinguishable dark jeans

now look at those same jeans in 1.5 years

the stf isnt the same as the pbj anymore

and looka t a jomon compared the a pbj

theyre all so incredibly different once you give them a chance

to age

you mentioned you are 16, when you are in high school you are trying to belong so if you see someone wearing a loud shiny jean with distinguishing characteristics, you say me too. so basically at that age its about showing off, so in high school 250 dollar evisus are more impressive than $700 jomons that only the most hardcore of the hardcores would be able to recognize

I know what you thinkin why I call you me too

Cause everything I say I got you sayin me too

I say I got a benz so you said me too

You hangin out the window so they can see you

But you ain't hangin out the window when you in that G2

Or that G3 or G4 like we do

I don't get what the question is. Yes, Evisu and RMC are popular in hip hop culture. Most likely due to the price and the recognizable branding. In other words, the jeans are a status symbol. 45rpm can't be a status symbol (in a non enthusiast circle) because they don't scream "these jeans cost $800!"

put fake shit into the equation. what then?

and we (THE denim community) pay for much more than looks.

Then why'd u buy pbjs?

because this board says its cool?

most people on here dont buy to stand out or look distinguishable

a lot of times i choose jeans on how they will fade... others choose for diff reasons

but to answer ur question... no

hmm, i do see what you are saying. I have actually often times questioned myself "why am i buying these jeans...they look like my other jeans" but...for me personally, when it comes to jeans, i buy mostly for the fit, not how loud it looks. im personally not a big fan of jeans that have loud arcuates and printings. i like my jeans to be nice and plain. now as for justifying buying a pair of 300 Diors that look as plain as anything else? Simply the fit. I wear my jeans well fitted, now as most nonidiotic breathing human being may know, a pair of Old Navy jeans do not fit as flattering as a pair of Dior's. It also has to do with quality. This isnt so much for aesthetics but moreso for personal gratification. At the end of the day, i know my pair of heavy good quality denim will outlast a pair of cheap jeans any day of the week. Now as for evrything else involved, i think its jut personal preference. Fit, price, etc. I prefer not to buy Evisus simply because they arent the most slim fitting jeans out there.

I know what you thinkin why I call you me too

Cause everything I say I got you sayin me too

I say I got a benz so you said me too

You hangin out the window so they can see you

But you ain't hangin out the window when you in that G2

Or that G3 or G4 like we do

quoted for truth because this is what i was going to post. fucker. :D

This is straying slightly off topic but I guess your thread title wasnt described to well and perhaps slowly this thread wil lead you to an answear that you want. All girl asks me all the time why I bother paying so much for jeans that my peers will never even notice ( none of my friends are into clothes ). I dont pay because I want people to notice the samurai acurates, or notice my green selvedge etc. I pay because I want a really good product, and something that feels a bit special, this isnt so others notice im wearing great jeans, I dont really want people to notice my jeans, I just enjoy wearing quality clothing. In fact id like to appear stylish but pretty normal, I would hate to think people see me walking and think my jeans are worth £150 or whatever.

I think this view is pretty different to what I understand HipHop's general view might be, E.g - I see hip hop culture as very reflexive in regards to portraying an image. People might want to be seen as trying to portray an image. Hence the LV prints, Bape, timberland and nike logos everywhere. I dont mean to be simplistic but to me this is what a rap promo is ( "promo"-tional ) an advert. Promoting something by covering it in diamonds and designer lables.

I dont think people who buy SDA or sugar cane buy because they want the brand to speak to people, or because they want the flaunting of the brand to portray an image or lifestyle, I think people buy em because they like wearing an extremely good product and dont really care about if people know that or not.

AlwayzFresh2Death, i think there is a very different mindset here on superdenim compared to much of the world of pop culture.

if you read around the forum you'll find that there's a greater emphasis on the technicalities of the denim - colour, quality, and the little details like back pocket patches, selvedge coin pockets, etc. this is very different from your regular "hiphop" wear, where there is a focus on the punch that the stuff you wear delivers. (i use "hiphop" in quote marks because i'm not familiar with it...i only have an image of it) the price that we are willing to pay is to a large extent derived from the cost of manufacture, whereas a large part of the prices for RMC and most of streetwear is due to branding and image. hence spending 300 - 700 for japanese denim, zimbabwe cotton, natural indigo, slubby and heavyweight denim, chainstitching, felled seams among many other details seems to alot of us to be justified.

alot of it has to do with elitism, i'll admit - part of it is the attraction of the non-mainstream nature of this side of the denim market. and there's alot of hype here as well...but i'd like to believe it's less ostentatious than alot of the stuff out there.

no hate for evisu - the company's got a great heritage. RMC, on the hand... ;)