Thoughts on Levis 511?

barnstormer

I bought this pair of black stretch, but I'm wondering why the red tab on the back doesn't say LEVI's with the ® on the edge, it just has two ®s on the front and back of the tab.

What's the deal with that, is it normal?

Yeah, it's normal. I think I read somewhere that Levi's does that tag for every 100th pair of jeans made, I believe, as a sort of control method. Anyway, they've copyrighted the red tab with or without the text on it.

Yeah, it's normal. I think I read somewhere that Levi's does that tag for every 100th pair of jeans made, I believe, as a sort of control method. Anyway, they've copyrighted the red tab with or without the text on it.

Interesting, where did you get that information from? I know they copyrighted the red tab, but I thought that it had to have LEVI's on it, too. I did a little googling and can't find any other information on this 100th pair control info.

edit: Just found a thread (coincidentally on SuFu) that also has this info:

"Quote:

Originally Posted by SLEEZY

when i picked this pair up i noticed that there were some (none in my size) that had no writing on the red tab other than the rights reserved logo in shiny thread.

anyone know what the deal is with those ones?

When I called Levi the answer they gave me for this is that it's a counterfeit measure they use. Every 100th pair that is made has a plain Red Tab."

(http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:J9eWBtjzxM4J:supertalk.superfuture.com/showthread.php%3Fp%3D1214937+Levi%27s+every+100th+pair+control+R®&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=safari)

Again, interesting. I'll call Levi's myself on Monday to further corroborate this, but thanks again for sharing this info, Woodstock!

dont bother calling any retail Levi's stores. They won't know anything. From what I heard, the blank tab is blank to emphasize the legal symbol that is the tab.

I didn't, I called the corporate Levi-Strauss Hotline. They confirmed exactly what Woodstock said, sounded like the lady was reading from an already written-out response.

I also sent an email to be supersure, and received this in reply:

Thanks for contacting us at Levi Strauss & Co.

The Levi's® pocket tab is one of the world's most frequently copied trademarks. In order to legally protect our exclusive right to market clothes with this pocket tab, it is necessary to produce a certain percentage of Levi's® Brand products with a plain cloth tab with only the ® symbol.

We appreciate your interest in the legitimacy of the Levi's® Brand products. We assure you that this is not a defect or an error in the manufacturing process. The pocket tab means genuine, first quality Levi's® Brand products.

Please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance. Just email us back, or call us at 1-800-USA-LEVI. We're available Monday - Friday, 6:00am - 4:30pm Pacific Time.

Max

Levi Strauss & Co.

maxbor3390843

Very cool.

its a trademark and levi's want people to realize that however iconic the tabs are, they are still simply a trademark. You take away the "Levis" or "LEvis" and leave just the trademark symbol, thats all you're left with, a trademark symbol. In other words, it has whoever is looking at the tab focus on the fact that its a trademark.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This afternoon I picked up a pair of 511s that I will hopefully have a pic of soon, curse my lack of a digital camera. The fit is great, a nice skinny leg with some great stacking at the bottom. The denim is nice and lightweight, so I think these jeans will see a lot of play come the summer. I don't like the almost girl like low rise on my pair, the wash is a little generic and I'd rather have buttons, but honestly it's one of the best fits I've ever had, and certainly beats the shit out of anything you're going to find for under 100 bucks. If you're not a brand whore and don't mind wear 50 dollars jeans and you're looking for a nice pair of slim jeans, I would seriously recomend lookin at the 511s.

r u gonna use an old school cam and develope the print? i should do that sometime..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought some 511's but i dont know, the thigh area and the waist are perfect

but i wish from the knees down that it was skinnier. I think i might sew them alittle tighter. What you guys think? Know of a another cut that comes like this already?

i wear a size 29 grim tim and i was wondering what size i would wear for levis 511. i tried checking the levi website and on the web for measurements but no where seems to have them

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

ive got 2 pairs of rigid 510's ( i know theyre not 511's but theyre almost the same jean and didnt want to make a whole seperate thread )

The first was bought from UrbanOutfitters last spring.

2.jpg

It actually says "Dry Clean Only" on the wash tag.

1.jpg

Pocket bag design:

3.jpg

The second was from my local Levis store and seems to be rigid + overdyed.

4.jpg

It has an actual leather patch, which is weird considering most regular Levis have the cardboard patch.

5.jpg

And here are the two together:

6.jpg

Yes, they are 510 super skinnys, but I size up so that they fit a smallish bit baggy in the seat. I like them because they are very tapered.

The first pair costed about $50 and the second was $70.

• 8 years later...

I love the 511 fit in the waist 31. i have a grey pair that has soft cotton when i don't want to wear raw selvedge denim, it's my go to denim. Problem is it is zip fly which is a total killer for me since the cut is very traditional slim without too much taper. i do not understand why levi's would use a zip fly. i sell levi's at work not LVC just the standard ones, 511 sells as much as 501 if not more. I'm more of a raw denim fan and having button fly gives the denim a better look not to mention the button fades that come with time.

Anyway ill keep dreaming