Indie-Dance/Electro/Neu-Rave/Disco/House Music: We Are Your Friends.

onemancult

wow, D.A.N.C.E. is straight garbage! i prefer Phantom 1000x over D.A.N.C.E. - sounds like the bee gee's but worse. i can't wait for kavinsky's 1986 ep, i'm glad to see some people are into him.

stop mimicking me.

one of the blogs i have been frequenting of late:

http://this.bigstereo.net

saw someone mention The Avalanches a few pages back-- they posted up an mp3 from the new album. it's gettin me pretty psyched.

i'm still only on the borders of electronic/house/"neu-rave" but have been pretty into 'indie dance' of late. dance parties have been erupting in the "indie" scene and i guess in some ways i'm lumped into all of that being an "art student" who throws said basement parties. call me what you will, but what-i-am-through-and-through, is passionate about music. i'm all about finding it in as many forms and styles as i can. i am all about finding music that stirs me emotionally. as for dance music whether it be disco/house/electro/glitch/indie, it moves me physically and opens me up "emotionally". and i dance as a cathartic thing, i absorb the music and not what people think or want to look like. i ain't in it for the chicks.

in any case, that's my approach and thoughts i suppose. like i said, i'm guilty of only being on the surface to some levels but would love a crash course in more.

things on the dance list of late:

the gossip (soul wax edit)

mstrkrft (anything and everything. probably my favorite album of 2006 bar none)

daft punk (old, new, it all has a special place and flavor to me)

data rock

the new young pony club

css

chromeo

junior senior

ladytron

!!!

the rapture

vitalic

i know it's basically the hot pitchfork list... and so i put the challenge out: recommend something to me that blows my mind. mp3's / sendspaces would help :)

i havent read much of this because im a little drunk but the term "new rave" is getting slapped on anything electro and its completely embarassing. it was big in london for about a fortnight with central st martins students and 14 year olds but its so dead now. the vast majority of people have stopped dressing like cartoons and smartened up. people are telling me how big it is in other places and its dire. world: london is sorry.

i havent read much of this because im a little drunk but the term "new rave" is getting slapped on anything electro and its completely embarassing. it was big in london for about a fortnight with central st martins students and 14 year olds but its so dead now. the vast majority of people have stopped dressing like cartoons and smartened up. people are telling me how big it is in other places and its dire. world: london is sorry.

The term isn't slapped on much in Sydney. Maybe one or two club nights but no artists have really been described as new rave. A compilation CD or two perhaps.

Oh, one question - dressing like cartoon characters... i dont get it.

The term isn't slapped on much in Sydney. Maybe one or two club nights but no artists have really been described as new rave. A compilation CD or two perhaps.

Oh, one question - dressing like cartoon characters... i dont get it.

homme homme, how are the tsubi parties and dj sets? tsubi is having a party this sunday in roppongi, tokyo. i am debating my attendance. thanks.

it was big in london for a little while but it isnt now?

arent the parties still happening?

arent the people still dressing like this?

isnt it more indicative of the recent rebirth of london club culture and not some NME-fuelled scene hype?

people that i know of are still down with the reborn club scene and still dress like cartoons and are still having the time of their life. are you just jaded? are you not a fan of the whole thing and just kind of write it off? i'm curious as to whether or not you're biased, basically, for any reason. just cause i hear conflicting things all the time.

all i know is that whether or not it was a flash in a pan or not, i'd really like to be there.

oh man seriously i don't see that london "club culture" hit a particular low that it needed to be reborn from. no to me it was genuinely a small thing that got blown up by trend hunters and the media. of course that means people have picked up on it and started dressing in that way, and if by parties you mean all ages britpop gigs where everyone wears bright shirts then yeah i guess. even the dude out of the klaxons says its a joke that got out of hand.

i don't take issue with people wanting to have fun or look goofy (well maybe a little) but i honestly don't think this is the CULTURAL HAPPENING its being made out as. don't be the dude at the back of a rancid gig in 1994 going "wow, this new "punk" thing is really great!"

homme homme, how are the tsubi parties and dj sets? tsubi is having a party this sunday in roppongi, tokyo. i am debating my attendance. thanks.

I find it hard to fault their parties and sets - almost always really good choice of tracks and played very well.

Which DJ's will be playing exactly? Do you know?

like them. i cant speak for sydney at all but it is a complete hype term here now, i don't think it was ever a real "thing" anyway. just more terrible serious irony. i'm not saying i have a problem with the music, i love shit like diplo and mia and kid606.

Man that shit is definately not going on here. I mean - all the people who go to clubs like that in Sydney all dress the same - common term used is Tsubi Clone and/or whore but dont dress like they were just invloved in a costume shop explosion.

oh man seriously i don't see that london "club culture" hit a particular low that it needed to be reborn from. no to me it was genuinely a small thing that got blown up by trend hunters and the media. of course that means people have picked up on it and started dressing in that way, and if by parties you mean all ages britpop gigs where everyone wears bright shirts then yeah i guess. even the dude out of the klaxons says its a joke that got out of hand.

i don't take issue with people wanting to have fun or look goofy (well maybe a little) but i honestly don't think this is the CULTURAL HAPPENING its being made out as. don't be the dude at the back of a rancid gig in 1994 going "wow, this new "punk" thing is really great!"

hahaha i guess i can see how the whole thing is being aggrandized for whatever reason.... but perhaps the people who are blowing it up out of proportion aren't only the media and trend hunters, but the people involved in the 'scene' themselves? are they trying to make something big out of what amounts to just them and their small group of friends doing what they do?

Edit: the guys from the klaxons say the term 'neu-rave' is a joke, but they don't say that their crowd and their collaborators and their associates are a joke. in fact, in plenty of interviews, they've acknowledged being a part of a small group of uk youth who were up for doing things in a new way.

if what the 'neu-rave' scene now encompasses isn't something necessarily new, where are its roots? where did it come from, who was doing it first? you seem to intimate that it was always there, underground- well, fill me in.

hahaha i guess i can see how the whole thing is being aggrandized for whatever reason.... but perhaps the people who are blowing it up out of proportion aren't only the media and trend hunters, but the people involved in the 'scene' themselves? are they trying to make something big out of what amounts to just them and their small group of friends doing what they do?

Edit: the guys from the klaxons say the term 'neu-rave' is a joke, but they don't say that their crowd and their collaborators and their associates are a joke. in fact, in plenty of interviews, they've acknowledged being a part of a small group of uk youth who were up for doing things in a new way.

if what the 'neu-rave' scene now encompasses isn't something necessarily new, where are its roots? where did it come from, who was doing it first? you seem to intimate that it was always there, underground- well, fill me in.

i'm not saying it was there all along, i'm saying its not like the SAVIOUR OF THE LONDON CLUB SCENE. honestly man its just goofy kids. theres not a lot original about it, its just britpop modernised a bit with neon added. seriously.

also: dude who mentioned nathan barley: "is this a thing??? am i a part of something??" hahaha

britpop.... since when does DJ Silverlink sound like Britpop?

sure they're not the 'saviours of the london club scene', but they're doing something interesting for a change. what else was going on that was vital and interesting and alive besides grime n' dubstep?

even if they are goofy kids, they're goofy kids doing their own thing, and that is highly commendable. my vote's still with the kids. i need to buy a cassette playa shirt.

fair enough, but its not like I-D magazine and NME and whatever else created this out of no where, am i right? a small group of people started doing something differently enough to get noticed, and after that, many people caught on and have diluted what was originally being done to a certain extent. does that automatically negate the value of that original group of people? i certainly don't think so.

from the perspective of an outsider who is very clued in music, youth, and nightlife culture both through the media and personal contacts, what has happened in london over the past few years is A. interesting, B. substantially different from other goings on both in London and in other places.

that interesting for a change comment was actually more about an overview of what the UK had been contributing to pop music culture up until this point: shitty post-punk copycat bands, criminally-overrated acts like the Libertines/Pete Doherty, and generally retread rock-based bands that all sounded like utter rubbish.

from the perspective of an outsider who is very clued in music, youth, and nightlife culture both through the media and personal contacts, what has happened in london over the past few years is A. interesting, B. substantially different from other goings on both in London and in other places.
what the UK had been contributing to pop music culture up until this point: shitty post-punk copycat bands, criminally-overrated acts like the Libertines/Pete Doherty, and generally retread rock-based bands that all sounded like utter rubbish.

you really did just negate one half of your post with the other half, thats awesome

and honestly. come to london. please. you say you're "clued up" but i LIVE here. the only people even keeping the whole thing alive is the shlubby late to the game behemoth clubs that follow trends. "neu rave" isn't at the FOREFRONT of london culture, its hanging on the coat tails for dear life. you come to a good club and its all motown, funk, aquascutum and sharp dressers. "neu rave" is not some spontaneous youth culture event, if you think people getting dressed up bizzarrely to go to electro clubs is new you're so off. indie with electro has been done for a long long time (as have the other genres listed in the topic title), all thats different is its been harpooned by some unfortunate moneymakers and a "look" has been tagged on it.

this argument is really sapping my will to live so you're just going to have to believe me!! :confused:

edit:

i would never be so presumptious as to know what was vital and interesting and alive from the bronx, i know nothing of the area and what happens and its inner machinations

'interesting for a change' sounds like your reaching

exactement. i wouldnt say shit about ny culture from what ive heard because i've never been there. what fashion magazines tell you and whats actually happening are two very different things with about a 6 month time lapse (vice maybe is the most up to date.) if the "contacts" (haha sounds like a russian mobster) you're talking to are equally as clueless or into the same mags/sites/blogs as you then you're not going to be getting up to the minute info, to be honest.

you really did just negate one half of your post with the other half, thats awesome

and honestly. come to london. please. you say you're "clued up" but i LIVE here. the only people even keeping the whole thing alive is the shlubby late to the game behemoth clubs that follow trends. "neu rave" isn't at the FOREFRONT of london culture, its hanging on the coat tails for dear life. you come to a good club and its all motown, funk, aquascutum and sharp dressers. "neu rave" is not some spontaneous youth culture event, if you think people getting dressed up bizzarrely to go to electro clubs is new you're so off. indie with electro has been done for a long long time (as have the other genres listed in the topic title), all thats different is its been harpooned by some unfortunate moneymakers and a "look" has been tagged on it.

this argument is really sapping my will to live so you're just going to have to believe me!! :confused:

edit:

exactement. i wouldnt say shit about ny culture from what ive heard because i've never been there. what fashion magazines tell you and whats actually happening are two very different things with about a 6 month time lapse (vice maybe is the most up to date.) if the "contacts" (haha sounds like a russian mobster) you're talking to are equally as clueless or into the same mags/sites/blogs as you then you're not going to be getting up to the minute info, to be honest.

Last time I was in London the cool thing (from my perspective) was the whole "we play whatever we want to play" thing I saw at loads of places (i.e. rap then rock than more electro-ish). Nothing cutting edge I'm affraid but I liked the mixed crowds and good atmosphere it brought...