Methods To Curb Addiction?

lowrider

I sorta have OCD and this new found facination with denim is not healthy for me. In 4 days I've bought 3 pairs of jeans and my girlfriend isn't happy.

My first pair of selvedge denim was the LVC 1906 Bunkhouse 501s that I picked up on sale at 50% off. That was Saturday. Today I ordered a pair of Sugar Cane x Begin jeans and a pair of Gap Goughs ($9.97!).

I need to stay off this forum and stop buying jeans! Suggestions on methods to curb my addiction?

But if anyone wants to be an enabler, please buy my old "most hated brands" jeans in the Supermarket. Sorry for the shameless plug - see what the addiction is doing to me!!

Its silly how much time and money I put into denim, when SF crashes or your internet connection fails its good for you perspective, go camping or something. Please post pics of the begin jeans when you get em. I think your he first guy here to cop sum.

I think alot of people round here are collectors by nature, some people just have a tendency to do stuff do the Nth degree, dont worry.

P.S. - Im gobsmacked you bought a pair of canes and a pair of GAP (!!!!!WTF!!!!) jeans in the same day, madness.

apart from collecting something else, exercise and music distracts me a bit apart from that just go to the coast or something and chill.....perhaps you could do a sea water wash on your jeans and post pics.

look at the evolution thread (makes you want to stick with the jeans you have)

I never understood why some (many) cats on here buy a new pair of raw denim every week.

As soon as there is a new flavor of the moment they scoop it up with their parents' CC.

I'm sure they'll say they just like the look of raw denim, but it's really for e-cred.

I don't see how you guys kill a pair of denims in a few months. Jeeze I am active but when I doing sports or really fucking doing something nasty the last thing I am going to wear is 300 dollar jeans. I put on my fucking beaters for that shit. I fully expect my japanese denim should last me at least 3 or 4 years. Now, I don't have any that cost me over 200 but that is $$$$ for me. RRLs, selvage Ateliers, cane 47s and a couple of S501XX and a pair of Nudies. Got them all on the cheap because I wear pretty big sizes (36 waist) so the just seem to come up on ebay cheaper from time to time. But if I am working on my car or painting or feeling like skidding in on the concrete drunk, I do it in some cheap ass shit.

I'm only 17 years old and have no credit card. I use to have a job from November - December 06 and the money I got from that only payed for the christmas presents I bought everyone. My mother gives me lunch money and I don't eat I just save it so I can accumulate money to buy jeans. I've bought at least 8 pairs of denim since November with jeans pricing from 180 to 320. Am I addicted?

I'm only 17 years old and have no credit card. I use to have a job from November - December 06 and the money I got from that only payed for the christmas presents I bought everyone. My mother gives me lunch money and I don't eat I just save it so I can accumulate money to buy jeans. I've bought at least 8 pairs of denim since November with jeans pricing from 180 to 320. Am I addicted?

ahh... the age old sacrifice food too buy clothes trick...my girlfriend is a long time believer in this stratagem. Loose weight and have cool new expensive shit. a double win. addiction or crafty life skills... who's to judge???

blm14 - can't do the smoking thing but the issue is that I don't need another addiction! My watch addiction is gonna make me more broke than I already am.

horriblyjollyjinx - that's what I tell myself to make me feel better!

denimdestroyedmylife - sound advice! I think the CC statement will do the trick! I'm selling my old jeans because they are a little to tight in the thighs and low rise for my tastes. I think I'm becoming more conservative in my old age =P

diamonds - dumping ain't an option - she's the love of my life. Unfortunately she's a BR poster girl and doesn't get the who denim thing no matter how I explain it to her so buying her denim won't help.

viv1984viv - I'm learning about denim quality and construction so I figured I'd get some Canes and the Goughs to compare. People are saying that the Goughs are pretty good quality so I want to see how these compare to each other. I'm on the hunt for some Japanese Dior Homme 19cms now... Where can I find these online? Hawaii sucks for shopping. I'll post up pics of the Begins when I get them.

eastcoastrider27 - I agree. I'm just excited about breaking in my first pair of raw denim. Sounds like a fun process.

Akura - I plan on alternating my jeans and wearing them everyday (as long as I don't have meetings).

No, you're just an idiot.

Why don't you guys find something meaningful in your life so you don't have to get satisfaction from buying shit?

wow. why dont you start wearing garbage bags to make your life more meaningful? go zen or something. delete your blog too.

Being happy with something you own isn't a bad thing, but buying stuff to make you happy is (in my opinion). If you're buying jeans you don't even have the time to wear, instead of eating, then you have a pretty serious problem.

how to curb a clothing addiction? Go read some Buddhism....i'm probably not buying any jeans any more, got 8 pairs and that's more than enough (only one of those is an actual pair of dark denims in progress). I don't really see the point in buying a fresh pair of raws every month either.

edit: Heartworm's post above me is on point. I'm sure Sycamore was just joking, but i still think what is said in the post above rings true in general.

Also I think one doesn't need too many jeans in your wardrobe...3 pairs is more than enough. One dark, one worn in, and one in a contrasting color of some sort like black...it's not good to have a whole wardrobe revolving around strictly denim IMO, much better to build on other pieces.

how to curb a clothing addiction? Go read some Buddhism....i'm probably not buying any jeans any more, got 8 pairs and that's more than enough (only one of those is an actual pair of dark denims in progress). I don't really see the point in buying a fresh pair of raws every month either.

edit: Heartworm's post above me is on point. I'm sure Sycamore was just joking, but i still think what is said in the post above rings true in general.

Also I think one doesn't need too many jeans in your wardrobe...3 pairs is more than enough. One dark, one worn in, and one in a contrasting color of some sort like black...it's not good to have a whole wardrobe revolving around strictly denim IMO, much better to build on other pieces.

how is it better that you have 1 raw + 7 ugly prewashed pairs than 8 raw? raw jeans that dont get worn self destruct?

get over yourselves, guys. it is perfectly possibly to wear raw jeans because they LOOK GOOD, and not only to break them in.

i thought they were limited run and sold out everywhere. Except for the side pocket, i love the way they look. post pics or tell us where to find them or both....

Nice taste lowrider, I ordered a pair of the SC40510A last autumn and they are unusual jeans, very beautiful. SC should be commended for their originality. They are sold out at most stores and I've heard that Rakuten store Hinoya have tried in vain to order more from SC but they are still available if you look hard enough.

A 32 is available here http://www.rakuten.co.jp/more-net/383285/1777064/#1340653 (and as a sidenote More-net will accept orders direct)

And a 34 & 36 is available here http://www.rakuten.co.jp/jeans-young/696116/737179/#754474

I'm not a fan of the side pocket or back pocket stiching but both can be really easily be removed. On the red tab one side says BEGIN, the other CANES! Here's some info from the Sugar Cane website:

DETAIL PHOTOGRAPH

1.PYTHON LEATHER PATCH WITH “SINGER†IN JAPANESE “KANJI†CHARACTER PRITED BY JAPANESE LACQUER?2.ORIGINAL FLASHER FOR THE MODEL?3.ORIGINAL STEEL BUTTON?4.CONCEALED COPPER RIVETS ON BACK POCKETS FOR DURABILITY?5.?6.POCKETING CLOTH REINFORCED BY EXTRA STITCHES?7.?8.EXTRA BELTLOOP TO A HAND TOWL?9.STITCHES OF CIRCLE STAND FOR STRINGS OF SAMISEN GUITAR?10.THE JEANS IS DELIVERED WITH THE A BAG?11.MEMBERS OF BEGIN. THEY ARE ALL FROM ISHIGAKI ISLAND, OKINAWA, JAPAN. THEIR SOUNF CONTAINS MANY ELEMENTS OF TRADITIONAL OKINAWAN FOLK MUSIC.?12.VARIOUS TYPES OF ORIGINAL OKINAWA STYLE HAND-TOWEL

“BEGIN†is a popular band to represent Japan, composed with three players all from the island of Ishigaki-Jima in Okinawa. Sugar Cane staffs and Begin member has developed the original Sugar Cane fiber jeans together for many years. The SINGER’S JEANS released recently is the first collaboration model with BEGIN and Sugar Cane.

In common with denim fabric, the warp yarn is indigo dyed while the weft yarn would be natural white color. With the fabric for the collaboration project, the warp yarn is an even dyed with Okinawa indigo and the weft is Ikat dyed. Dyestuffs for the fabric are all from the plants of BEGIN’s hometown, Ishigaki-Jima. Raw material, Sugar Cane fiber for the yarn is from sugar cane plantation of Ishigaki-Jima as well and dyed by distinctive and traditional dyeing method of the island. Weft yarns are dyed with a blend of dyestuffs from distinctive vegetation in the island, the yellow dyestuff from Fukugi-grass, the red from Coolu-potato, Indigo color from the Ryukyu Indigo and the green from a combination of Fukugi-grass and Ryukyu Indigo, the 4 colors make the distinct Ikat look on the welt yarn.

Weaving process is the “Minsa-Weave†technique adopted from the early days of Okinawa islands, that give a unique appearance on the denim. Opinions and ideas from the BEGIN band members are built in. Needless to say, it is a perfect pair of jeans for the musicians to wear.

:eek:

Nice taste lowrider, I ordered a pair of the SC40510A last autumn and they are unusual jeans, very beautiful. SC should be commended for their originality. They are sold out at most stores and I've heard that Rakuten store Hinoya have tried in vain to order more from SC but they are still available if you look hard enough.

:eek:

I can't wait to get them! Are they sized true to tag? I ordered the one wash in a W 32. Does the one wash still shrink?

I read somewhere that the shape that's stitched on the side pocket represents the pick that's used to play the samisen guitar. I think it ties in well with the circles on the back pocket and the overall motif of the jeans.

It's the subtle differences...

(1) Stay up late and watch those children's fund commercials. They always make me feel like crap for spending so much on myself.

(2) Open up a wordpad document / get out a piece of paper, and write down that you will not purchase a pair of jeans for a certain amount of time (say 6 months). Revisit that document every once in a while, and whenever you get the strong urge to buy a new pair of jeans. Actually having some sort of goal in writing will increase your likelihood in following through with that goal.

(3) Follow what DDML said, that's probably the most sound advice you're going to get. I personally look through the evolution thread all the time, and taking a look at well worn jeans keeps me motivated to stick with the pairs I currently own.