Levis: Natural Indigo

sneakeraddict

Look to be quite nice (at least the colour and touches)

"The dye does not use any chemicals but instead is made from a process involving natural indigo, potato starch, mimosa flower and Marseille soap."

The button is made from a coconut shell.

would be interesting to see how they fade.

unfortunately, the 506 cut is a heap of shite IMO.

Should have just done a 501 STF

http://www.kitchener.ch/html/en/fashion/special.php

levis_eco1.jpg

levis_eco2.jpg

Oh man what a tease! Read about these jeans a while ago and as far as I can tell, they're not made for people to put in some crazy fades into or for those who care if their jeans are dipped in natural indigo or synthetic indigo or how much sulphur was used, it's a marketing exercise jumping on the organic bandwagon. The reason natural indigo jeans cost so much is because of the voodoo + extra dips required. If Levi's did the 'natural' thing properly these jeans would cost a bomb.

"button from a coconut shell" is so gimmicky... i agree with synthi, it's a marketing exercise on the organic front.

Denim coated with potato starch for sheen

this though is interesting. can the sheen of raw denim be replicated even after the effect of calendering has been removed by washing processes?

if levis does it it's dismissed as gimmicky but it's super cool if sugar cane or samurai does it even if they're just doing something that levis did a hundred years ago....please help me understand that. isn't all this shit these days just a gimmick??

"button from a coconut shell" is so gimmicky... i agree with synthi, it's a marketing exercise on the organic front.

this though is interesting. can the sheen of raw denim be replicated even after the effect of calendering has been removed by washing processes?

they have em at the levi's store on broadway...looked interesting.

if levis does it it's dismissed as gimmicky but it's super cool if sugar cane or samurai does it even if they're just doing something that levis did a hundred years ago....please help me understand that. isn't all this shit these days just a gimmick??

Produced in Hungary in Levi's owned & operated plants under the ECO- Sustainable Textile symbol. It guarantees that every step in the creation of the Levi's Eco denim jeans meets the requirements of the stringent EU regulation for organic production and textile processing.

I FUCKING REFUSE TO BUY LEVIS NOT MADE IN THE USA. I'm sorry. That's honestly what it comes down to. when they were in the USA, I was buying Levi's w/o ever exploring other options, it wasn't until they closed all the factories in the USA a few years back that I was FORCED to put my money elsewhere...I was a big supporter of the orginal Levi's red and PREMIUM USA LINES!

i haven't seen "button from a coconut shell" being offered by any of the other brands

and i believe japanese brands have tried similarly weird tricks like LHT vs RHT jeans, which i didn't like either.

I FUCKING REFUSE TO BUY LEVIS NOT MADE IN THE USA. I'm sorry. That's honestly what it comes down to. when they were in the USA, I was buying Levi's w/o ever exploring other options, it wasn't until they closed all the factories in the USA a few years back that I was FORCED to put my money elsewhere...I was a big supporter of the orginal Levi's red and PREMIUM USA LINES!

Well, has anyone seen the new Levi's Capital E "Wrapped Skinny" Eco jean? It's wicked! The jean is 100% organic cotton, has recycled hardware, comes in a rigid blue natural indigo, and is constructed without a side seam. It's just got an inseam and a dart halfway up the front of the leg. And it's made in the USA! Wish I had a picture.

And Levi's Capital E is planning on rolling out an Eco STF 501 with recycled hardware, also made in the USA.

B.T.W. The original Levi's RED collections were built in Tunisia, Spain, Italy and Croatia. Not in the USA.

Well, has anyone seen the new Levi's Capital E "Wrapped Skinny" Eco jean? It's wicked! The jean is 100% organic cotton, has recycled hardware, comes in a rigid blue natural indigo, and is constructed without a side seam. It's just got an inseam and a dart halfway up the front of the leg. And it's made in the USA! Wish I had a picture.

And Levi's Capital E is planning on rolling out an Eco STF 501 with recycled hardware, also made in the USA.

B.T.W. The original Levi's RED collections were built in Tunisia, Spain, Italy and Croatia. Not in the USA.

i only had bought red back when premium was made in the usa, so you're probably right...lets see a pic of this new capital E. sounds good from what you say, although pockets for capital e are tiny...

• 2 weeks later...
I second the motion. Not buying any Levis that's not made in U.S.A. The last pair of Levis I bought were LVC 501XX and LVC 201XX made in U.S.A. in the mid-90's. I want to keep it that way.

I was at the Levis store in Sta. Monica last week and bought the LVC 1947 501XX but first checked the tag, Made in U.S.A. before I bought it. Fit is great but wow--the prices also went up. Retails for 175 USD.

• 2 months later...

The US made LVCs are made with Cone Mills denim. I had a pair of 1911 bunkhouse made in Europe and the quality of the LVC stuff being made US is allot better. My question is; the new LVC US made the tag say 643 which when the US plants were open was Tenn if I remember right did the contractor just take over the old Levis operation at the same plant with the same labor?

the online levi store has eco 501s in rigid, but they're only in the women's section:

http://www.levisstore.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2665578&cp=2069959.2607411&parentPage=family

anyone know if there's a different organic 501 for men and women?

it says "boy-fit" in the description so im assuming thered be no difference between mens and womens 501's.

in anycase those look really nice, i want a pair.

Bump on this - has anyone found an online retailer that's got the men's ECO 501 STF with green selvage? I saw them in person at the lex ave store but they didnt have my size in stock :(

There's good sizing at the 14th st store

The US made LVCs are made with Cone Mills denim. I had a pair of 1911 bunkhouse made in Europe and the quality of the LVC stuff being made US is allot better. My question is; the new LVC US made the tag say 643 which when the US plants were open was Tenn if I remember right did the contractor just take over the old Levis operation at the same plant with the same labor?

Airfrog, I was reading an article in Mens Vogue about Rag & Bone using the Taylor Togs factory in NC to make their denim, it also says that they needed to convince other companies to use the factory to make it profitable: "They convinced the designers at Helmut Lang to try out the plant. Cone Denim, part of an international conglomerate also based in North Carolina, added to the rescue effort, bringing in Gap's humanitarian Red line. Levi's returned with its vintage business. While orders no longer number in the millions of units, the factory is once again profitable."

The article also states that Togs almost went under in 2005 when Levis (a longtime client) pulled out and moved to Mexico. So this is most likely the only company in the US making Levis denim today.

http://www.mensvogue.com/clothing/threads/articles/2007/02/rag_and_bone