Pride FC and MMA

Haz

Joe Rogans beard is really messin with his head...

Some of the weirdest comments in a while...

"Look at his ears wiggle."

During a Koshcek (sp?) Alves fight.

*Alves does big leg kick*

Rogan - "BOOoooom."

A very homoerotic "boom."

Funny as hell...

It was very disappointing with the Silva fight...

I really wished it went the distance, or past an injury stoppage...

I was also really looking forward to Silva throwing that spinning back kick. He was looking for it, throughout the first round, and a part of the 2nd... (maybe the other way araound.)

i had high hopes on vera when he fought sylvia...lets hope vera can pull through this time around

i can see this happening in the first round, either cote will shoot for a take down 2 minutes in then get submitted towards the 4 minute mark, or silva will get the clinch on ko by knees.

I though silva was going to keep that fight on the ground after cote was taken down, it was funny to see silvia extend his hand offer to pick cote up and continue the fight from stand up but cote we already hurting..

I don't think anyone has the wrestling credentials of Koscheck, only person I see who can trouble Alves is Fitch (who beat Alves a couple of years ago with an upkick) or GSP (who was taking down Koscheck at will). Alves just turned 25 and he looks exponentially better in EACH fight, so I think it'd be a different story against Fitch this time. He's such a young guy, but so very talented. I think Alves might have one more fight and take on the winner of Penn/GSP, as long as he doesn't lose that is. Maybe they'll have him fight Sanchez before that happens which would be entertaining.

koscheck has probably one of the best double legs in the UFC right now for sure, but alves has incredible shot defense. GSP was able to out wrestle koscheck during their fight. so although koschek is the more decorated wrestler, GSPs wrestling is up there as well.

GSP also has incredible judo throws-- ie. vs matt hughes; so i'd like to see how alves does with that thrown into the mix.

i'm still unsure of how title contention works in the UFC. does it seem almost based on what would make the "best fight"? alves vs. fitch would be good. alves vs. sanchez as well. alves is definitely making the welter weight division much more interesting though.

Here is how Joe Silva creates matchups:

1. will this generate ppv buys

2. will this set us up for a contest that will generate ppv buys in the future

3. does the style match up seem interesting

4. does the fight make sense

And thats in order of importance.

I think it should be understood that having good take down defense does not mean you are a good wrestler. A good example is Chuck Liddel. He probably has the best take down defense in his division, but he isnt that great of a wrestler. GSP's wrestling is olympic level. He trains with the Canadian Olympic Wrestling Team. He can take down pretty much anyone.

At this point I want to see Alves fight anyone that presents a challenge for him to overcome. He gets better and better every fight so Id like to see his competition do the same. The best plan would probably be Fitch and then GSP. I'm not quite sure he is ready for GSP with the trouble Koscheck gave him.

Thought you guys might enjoy some gifs from UFC 90:

2qn4lzc.jpg

^Fight of the night? Sherk's gotta be reallll happy with the win, shut some of his critics up and strayed away from his 'lay n' pray' image.

nzf72s.jpg

^ Werdum really blew his chances at competing for the belt...but I'd rather not see him fight Nogueira again anyhow.

309ujcz.jpg

Those kicks are just brutal!

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a suprisingly good event so far. Every match that I thought would suck, resulted in someone getting schooled in basic boxing or some advanced JITZ with some rubber guard thrown in to boot.

I couldnt have asked for much more...Randy x Lesnar up next!

Wait...the Napo fight sucked because he's a big lazy bastard who was going up against a bigger lazier, even more bastardy retard.

This has been a suprisingly good event so far. Every match that I thought would suck, resulted in someone getting schooled in basic boxing or some advanced JITZ with some rubber guard thrown in to boot.

I couldnt have asked for much more...Randy x Lesnar up next!

agreed, lot of good fights

go couture!!

Oh hey exactly what I said would happen happened. Brock with 6 more months of training is the future of the heavyweight divison. He throws punches just fast enough for you to not be able to dodge and with enough power to move you across the ring.

He was literally moving randy with every knee. He was like fucking Tong Po in Kickboxer.

sad day in history for mma...

WTF are you talking about. People hating on Lesnar is getting really stupid at this point. He just took out the Heavyweight champ, how is this a sad day.

If anything this is a glorious day because Lesnar is living every MMA fanboys dream. He dedicated himself to sport and spent a year learning nothing but MMA. It's not like this guy just came out of nowhere with nothing but steroids to his name. He's a legit wrestling super star. Whats Randy's strong points? Game planning and dirty boxing in the clench. What did he have to offer Brock in the clench? Not a damn thing. Was he able to do anything that looked like a game plan coming together? I didnt see it...

I think if Brock just wobbled around and threw arm punches every fight for the past 3 fights he would be deserving of the insults. But its been the exact opposite. He's learned from his mistakes and made himself a better MMA fighter with each fight. You have to in some way appreciate the fact that he shows the sport the respect it deserves by taking the time to be as good as he possibly can at it.

You can be mad at the UFC for giving him a title shot too soon, but maybe they are just smarter than you and had some real insight, or reason to believe this guy could do something big. As it turns out the were right. You should be clapping your hands and congratulating Brock for taking the necessary steps to compete with the best and succeed.

...And I dont even like Brock like that.

WTF are you talking about. People hating on Lesnar is getting really stupid at this point. He just took out the Heavyweight champ, how is this a sad day.

You can be mad at the UFC for giving him a title shot too soon, but maybe they are just smarter than you and had some real insight, or reason to believe this guy could do something big. As it turns out the were right. You should be clapping your hands and congratulating Brock for taking the necessary steps to compete with the best and succeed.

thats my point how the fuck does lensar earn himself a HW title shot with 2 fights? dana is getting ridiculous, its not even about the sport anymore. its all about the fights that are going to line his pockets. dana white has no loyalty to anyone who has been in the game for years. props to brock but come on hes no fedor.

Actually Dana wants it to happen just as much as Randy wants it to happen but Fedors managment camp make retarded demands whenever the subject comes up. Like allowing Fedor to compete in Sambo while he's still competing in the UFC. Who is going to let their star athlete possibly get lims snapped off in some other competition? They've come very close to making it happen but the deal always collapses.

EDIT: I forgot, Fedor also requires contracts for his Red Devil fighters. Theres like 2 other fighters on that team worth seeing.

first of all, it is LIMB. use spell check if you need to.

second of all, there is not a living person who could snap off a finger from Fedor, let alone a limb or multiple limbs.

it is absurd to restrict Fedor from doing whatever he wants fight-wise, at least until there is someone who can even slow him down. shit, the only fight he "lost" was a due to a stoppage and a win needed to be awarded to have the one night tournament proceed properly.

if you declawed a bear and put him in the ring with Fedor that would be the closest thing to a fair fight i can think of...

Lesnar will tap in the first round if and when he gets his shot at the worlds greatest living fighter

first of all, it is LIMB. use spell check if you need to.

second of all, there is not a living person who could snap off a finger from Fedor, let alone a limb or multiple limbs.

it is absurd to restrict Fedor from doing whatever he wants fight-wise, at least until there is someone who can even slow him down. shit, the only fight he "lost" was a due to a stoppage and a win needed to be awarded to have the one night tournament proceed properly.

if you declawed a bear and put him in the ring with Fedor that would be the closest thing to a fair fight i can think of...

Lesnar will tap in the first round if and when he gets his shot at the worlds greatest living fighter

You're seriously going to call me on a spelling error? Get the fuck out of here...

Yes Fedor is an invincible robot from the future built using old Red WWII technology. Trained in the deepest coldest glaciers of Siberia. He's trained against bears since he hit puberty. Get the fuck out of here...

What professional athletic origination allows their paid atheletes to put themselves in harms way in other sports? Hell the NFL wont budge and let their athletes play baseball anymore. Most NFL and NBA starts arent even allowed to ride motorcycles.

It's impossible for Fedor to say, break a hand, or snap an ankle. He is incapable of tearing an ACL. You are so unbelievably ignorant of not only the sport of MMA, the sport of Sambo, but combat sports in general.

In Mixed Martial Arts you are one punch away from getting knocked out and one mistake away from getting an arm broken or waking up 45 seconds later with a soar neck and the ref telling you its time to go home

while it is true that past results are not a guarantee of future performance, i will stake all of my chips on Fedor until further notice. period.

and it is sore, like a sore limb. not soar, like a soaring eagle.

so yes, i am calling you out on spelling. again. it matters.

at least if you want to come across as intelligent.

MMA is not like the NFL or NBA. And it never will be.

Last i checked those are TEAM SPORTS. Find a better comparison.