waywt? saved my life

sycamore no more

Hey robideaux - do you have any recommendations on how a guy like me would get started? Any books you'd recommend I read? Sites? How did you develop your highly refined sense of fashion? Looking forward to some tips, maybe even a primer or at least an outline.

Cheers.

yo, low. i don't think generic resources hold the answer. The secret of style is not some esoteric piece of knowledge that can simply be extracted from a book and consumed in the same habitual vien practiced by the majority of members here with respect to clothing. auxiliary materials such as books and magazines can only help to some limited degree simply by exposing one to more variety and possibility. here i would suggest some japanese fashion mags for exposure (popeye, men's non-no, etc) and some continental philosophy for enlightenment (Adorno, Barthes, and Derrida). The only thing you lack (besides an ability to coordinate colors--truly sorry about that!) is a kind of personal knowledge gained by active experience, participation, and emulation of worthy idols. my personal list of savvy SUFU dressers (to whom i owe a great deal) clashes with the consensus of this community, mainly because the most active members here prefer to see their brethren clad in identical clobber day in and day out, uncritically spreading their positive comments and rep around to reinforce their sense of security and political control of this board. what it comes down to is that style, like language, is a matter of knowing-how -- not that -- and the cultivation of this ability to be articulate is time consuming heuristic process. One caveat however: mere involvement with this community does not entail that you will necessarily progress. As a fashion infant you are in an epistemically impoverished position, and likely have a difficult time differentiating between those members who actually posses style and consume smartly and moderately, and those who are merely beasting (a term synonomous with fetishizing, derrived from the label hypebeast) over the latest limited edition sneakers, premium denims, or any other contrived marketing craze.

i dont know if this really helps or not, but feel free to follow up. best of luck. no hate!

perhaps, hap, for an experienced consumer such as yourself label perpetration is a waste of time to think about. you have been playing this game long enough to have acquired a tacit understanding of how fashion works, what is currently fashionable and unfashionable, as well as what you like and feel comfortable in. its great that you are confident enough to rely on your intuition, but for a newcomer to this game who does not yet fully grasp the dialectical relationship between mass and high fashion i think it is important to be very label conscious, as well as logical and methodical about how and what one choses to piece together.

To suggest the opposite, that all people here--even newcomers--should bracket out knowledge regarding the connotations of labels/demographic consumption patterns and simply assent to their naive intuitions to craft a truly personal and mature sense of style is nonsense. To do such would be to allow our unconsious pyschological mechanisms and incidental personal histories determine the future status of our tastes. Style would be reduced to mere indiosyncrasy--a line of reasoning which i've already openly denounced. It is obvious that the two are ontologically distinct and not equivalent.

I think that newcomers should let reason direct their style at first by paying careful attention to labels, history, the designers, as well as their aesthetic visions. then only after considerable familiarity with the dynamics and semiotics of fashion should they trust their fallible intuition to safely guide the way, disregarding the labels and their connotations.

yes. i agree.

i also agree with harp..

the idea of label perpetration can go both ways imo.

sometimes it works even though the vibes of labels may crash sometimes i feel it just doesnt flow at all.

If you would've posted that for your gloomy day pic it would've been neck and neck last week. Nice shot, mike.

I heard Piffery got KO'd by his wife, the bitch done had enough.

as for me, what might appear to be a mean mugging "I'd knock a ho down" type of look is in fact mostly the rain hitting my face.

yo, low. i don't think generic resources hold the answer. The secret of style is not some esoteric piece of knowledge that can simply be extracted from a book and consumed in the same habitual vien practiced by the majority of members here with respect to clothing. auxiliary materials such as books and magazines can only help to some limited degree simply by exposing one to more variety and possibility. here i would suggest some japanese fashion mags for exposure (popeye, men's non-no, etc) and some continental philosophy for enlightenment (Adorno, Barthes, and Derrida). The only thing you lack (besides an ability to coordinate colors--truly sorry about that!) is a kind of personal knowledge gained by active experience, participation, and emulation of worthy idols. my personal list of savvy SUFU dressers (to whom i owe a great deal) clashes with the consensus of this community, mainly because the most active members here prefer to see their brethren clad in identical clobber day in and day out, uncritically spreading their positive comments and rep around to reinforce their sense of security and political control of this board. what it comes down to is that style, like language, is a matter of knowing-how -- not that -- and the cultivation of this ability to be articulate is time consuming heuristic process. One caveat however: mere involvement with this community does not entail that you will necessarily progress. As a fashion infant you are in an epistemically impoverished position, and likely have a difficult time differentiating between those members who actually posses style and consume smartly and moderately, and those who are merely beasting (a term synonomous with fetishizing, derrived from the label hypebeast) over the latest limited edition sneakers, premium denims, or any other contrived marketing craze.

i dont know if this really helps or not, but feel free to follow up. best of luck. no hate!

Thank goodness I majored in English w/ an emphasis in writing or I'd be referencing M-W for every other word in your response. Mahalo for sharing your thoughts on the subject and the tips on mags to flip through. I'll PM you shortly so not to shit up this thread further.

+rep.