australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

Incu sale was shhit...People are such animals. I did see a Raf shirt and polo but some bitch dove in and snatched them! HEAPS of modern amusement ...trovata..shiply and halmos... i saw some random cloak too, there was a shirt and the jumper as mentioned before. Surface to air stuff was ok, got a T and a fifth avenue shoe repair jumper.

menya changed their menu! and they took off my fav dish, not happy.

didn't bother with the incu sale, figured it would be like what peeps said.

was your fav dish the one with chilli shallots on top (negi ramen)? that was mine too until they changed the menu at the cbd joint .. now u gotta order it separately and DIY the dish :(

Should drop by Ryo's Ramen on Falcon St if you're in Crow's Nest as well. Best damn ramen in Sydney.

i'd have to disagree, ryo's WAS the best 2-3 years ago, back then the soup was thick and full of collagen. the eggs yolks were still gooey, vibrant orange and runny (perfectly cooked). the negi was generous and the servings was a decent proportion.

now, the eggs are hard boiled and no different to what i do myself in the kitchen, the ramen has changed for the pork stock to a thinner and different cut, whereas the chicken stock ramen now uses the ramen that was used for the pork stock, the negi is bare and pretty disappointing and the stock is changed to suit a western palate..

that being said, ryo's is probably one of the better ramen joints in the north of sydney, but there is so many others out that are equally, if not better: menya, ichiban boshi (bondi location), gamshara and zenya.

i'd have to disagree, ryo's WAS the best 2-3 years ago, back then the soup was thick and full of collagen. the eggs yolks were still gooey, vibrant orange and runny (perfectly cooked). the negi was generous and the servings was a decent proportion.

now, the eggs are hard boiled and no different to what i do myself in the kitchen, the ramen has changed for the pork stock to a thinner and different cut, whereas the chicken stock ramen now uses the ramen that was used for the pork stock, the negi is bare and pretty disappointing and the stock is changed to suit a western palate..

that being said, ryo's is probably one of the better ramen joints in the north of sydney, but there is so many others out that are equally, if not better: menya, ichiban boshi (bondi location), gamshara and zenya.

I haven't been back to Ryo's for ages but I have heard that they've made serious compromises with quality in the past, but I still hold the opinion that they have the best ramen noodles in Sydney. Springy and toothsome. They might not have the best soup (Gumshara for that imo) but what I've ate of Sydney's ramen places still hasn't really given me something that came even close to the noodles I had back then.

Menya's pretty decent for avid fans of tonkotsu but Gumshara has since dethroned it in my opinion, especially with the pork ribs and that chronic soup of Mori-san's. I've only ate at the Bondi Ichiban Boshi once, I frequent the CBD one only when I can't make my way to Chinatown. It's definitely better than the CBD one though.

The only ramen I've yet to try on that list is Zenya due to location.

Edit: Oh snap you're the guy from herecomesthefood

I haven't been back to Ryo's for ages but I have heard that they've made serious compromises with quality in the past, but I still hold the opinion that they have the best ramen noodles in Sydney. Springy and toothsome. They might not have the best soup (Gumshara for that imo) but what I've ate of Sydney's ramen places still hasn't really given me something that came even close to the noodles I had back then.

Menya's pretty decent for avid fans of tonkotsu but Gumshara has since dethroned it in my opinion, especially with the pork ribs and that chronic soup of Mori-san's. I've only ate at the Bondi Ichiban Boshi once, I frequent the CBD one only when I can't make my way to Chinatown. It's definitely better than the CBD one though.

The only ramen I've yet to try on that list is Zenya due to location.

Edit: Oh snap you're the guy from herecomesthefood

Their noodles are definitely the same awesomely delicious springy ones they've used since the first time that I was introduced to Ryo's (a few years ago before I started blogging). I still hit it up for ramen every now and then when I cbb training/driving to the city.

i tried this place last week after reading about it on your blog. so good! the egg is cooked so perfectly! the soup was a little too thick/strong for a whitey like me but i will definitely go back again.

glad you liked gumshara, it's probably the best ramen place for a perfectly cooked egg right now. the stock is insane, you either like it or you don't. if you let the soup cool down, you'll get a nice layer of collagen forming hahah.

awesome blog btw derek :)

what camera do you use mate?

thanks man, i'm using a olympus e-520 with a 14-42mm, but most of my food shots are done with a 35mm f3.5 macro....looking at getting a 50mm f2.0 mm soon >< also recently bought a e-620, but not sure when i'll start using it haha...

my blogging partner (FFichiban) uses a d80 and the recent shots were with the 50mm he's borrowing from a mate

sydney ramen sucks balls. period.

sadly we have to make do with what we have...can't wait till my japan trip end of the year ... got like 10+ different ramen places i want to try ... on top of that a coupe of unagi, tempura, okonomiyaki places...lol

what main cities are you going to? I have some recomendations in some of the smaller large cities like Fukuoka and Nagoya.

sydney ramen sucks balls. period.

This is true but i'm going to try out Gumshara? (Is it spelt with a "u"?) when i head back sometime. cheers

edit: lol

Qgy-hBLMP1g

what main cities are you going to? I have some recomendations in some of the smaller large cities like Fukuoka and Nagoya.

This is true but i'm going to try out Gumshara? (Is it spelt with a "u"?) when i head back sometime. cheers

edit: lol

Qgy-hBLMP1g

going with the gf who has never been to japan (i've been every year of the past three years now) so it's more of a sightseeing thing for the first week and then last week will be shopping + eating in tokyo. we're gonna be going to osaka, hiroshima, kyoto, miyajima and tokyo as the last stop.