australia :: sydney :: shopping

dumadiscount

I was dissapointed when i went to melb only because it was hyped up to me by a lot of people. I found everyone/everything was the same as Sydney (pretty much).

I have no reason to go there anytime soon. Not because I dislike it just because I wouldnt be doing anything that I am not doing at home.

I have never really understood the Sydney vs. Melbourne thing. To me it's like arguing over which brand of bottled water tastes better (or something?!).

Meh.

Haha Arisu.

"Architecture's better and guys are better looking"

And yet unimpressed. Perhaps it's the feeling that you're not really 'at home'? I grew up in Melbourne and I'm currently residing in Sydney and... I guess I feel that way most of the time. Just doesn't feel right.

It's so similar and yet... just feels so fake.

Perhaps you need to come see it with locals to really appreciate it? Melbourne's all about the little "alley" culture. Where everything's only available to those 'in the know'. Little gems of stores/bars hidden in alleys and obscure little nooks and crannies.

^ well arisu point taken nad i totally agree with styleofmind. Yes that is what melbourne is all about. If you are in the know then it is much better in many ways, including coffee culture, eating and arty things. I will also go as far to say fashion wise. Why was Sydney the second place in Australia to stock many high end fashion brands? Your guess is as good as mine. But yeh nothing can beat Sydneys placement, its beaches... Thta is all that can make sydney good though. I just feel too much negativity in the air. Melbourne is much more chilled and well as far as electronic music goes, nothing can compare to Melbourne..... So i guess depending on what you like then Both can be good and bad. Lets just leave it at that then.

Just one last thing.... Maybe you guys should get a proper tour from someone in the know... Then make your minds up..

i went to Melbourne with my girlfriend who used to live there and we went around with her old friends and some of her family so i think i saw a good cross section.

i mean i enjoyed my time there but just thought that the differences between Melbourne and Sydney were so tiny. I would certainly live there though if the opportunity came about.

better electronic music coming out of Melbourne is something new to me.. i mean it does have some for sure but to say it is better then Sydney seems a bit opinionated - for every good Melbourne act i can think of an artist from Sydney just as good. admittedly i haven't immersed myself into the genre as much as i was, say... 2 yrs ago.

wah styleofmind syd not fake what :( no I understand your point, very true.

yes, people dress better and less trashy for sure. My friends and I did manage to find some locals to show us around one arvo but that was disappointing too. Wrong people I guess. As to negativity in the air.. Everyone was extremely polite to me, but my friend kept complaining about everyone being rude, and she was right next to me the whole time. So you can't really judge that or use that as any sort of point I think.

I liked Chapel St (which can be quite easily replaced by both Oxford St and newtown), and better fashion definitely seemed easier to get at. I also like eating, and I had some really bad food, hahah. I should use superfuture more huh.

I love my chill syd heh. Home is home.. what can you do.

Anyway. I need a haircut.

wah styleofmind syd not fake what :( no I understand your point, very true.

I liked Chapel St (which can be quite easily replaced by both Oxford St and newtown), and better fashion definitely seemed easier to get at. I also like eating, and I had some really bad food, hahah. I should use superfuture more huh.

Anyway. I need a haircut.

Wow. A coupla weeks in Singapore and already typing like one of them. Hehe. Try not to let it get into your day-to-day verbal speech. No one else can understand anything they say.

Oxford doesn't even begin to compare to Chapel St! I mean... think about all the little boutique joints that exist on Chapel that don't on Oxford. Nah mean? Arthur Galan, etc. Personally, I think the Melbourne equivalent to Chapel St. would be something like Brunswick or Fitzroy.

Food wise... Depends on what you like. If you're all about the high-end, kick-ass, authentic Chinese food, hit me up! Same goes for everyone! I'll be sure to point you in the right direction. Remember! With Chinese, it's not about the restaurant but rather their specialties. So while a particular restaurant may be good all around, another one might be better by far at another dish.

Haircut? www.shinka.com.au

Tell me how it goes.

^ well arisu point taken nad i totally agree with styleofmind. Yes that is what melbourne is all about. If you are in the know then it is much better in many ways, including coffee culture, eating and arty things. I will also go as far to say fashion wise. Why was Sydney the second place in Australia to stock many high end fashion brands? Your guess is as good as mine. But yeh nothing can beat Sydneys placement, its beaches... Thta is all that can make sydney good though. I just feel too much negativity in the air. Melbourne is much more chilled and well as far as electronic music goes, nothing can compare to Melbourne..... So i guess depending on what you like then Both can be good and bad. Lets just leave it at that then.

Just one last thing.... Maybe you guys should get a proper tour from someone in the know... Then make your minds up..

I <3 Melbourne. So admittedly, I might be a little biased. I never knew about Melbourne's electro though. Not a particularly huge fan myself but I'll say that even the hiphop [and I don't mean the Chingy and Nelly or Soulja Boy they play on radio] is far better in Melbourne than Sydney. But then again, that's subjective. Just all about the places you go I suppose.

Outta curiosity, has anyone seen people doing the Melbourne shuffle in Syd?

Dance like you're from Melbourne? That's a new one. Someone should actually go document that haha. I've never noticed a difference. Then again, I don't really dance.

Oh well.

Yeah I was wondering about this whole shuffling thing. I mean... I can appreciate that it's a form of dance and some people think that ballet is stupid, others think that the waltz is dumb etc. But hey it's all subjective. But for some reason, everytime I see someone doing the shuffle, I feel like kicking them in the teeth.

As I said. Perhaps it's just me.

Wow. A coupla weeks in Singapore and already typing like one of them. Hehe. Try not to let it get into your day-to-day verbal speech. No one else can understand anything they say.

Hahaha.. I blame it partly on my malaysian roommate. And I can understand waht they say :D Though half admitted to putting on an accent to talk to me, so.. I don't know.

Personal opinion: Melbourne boys dance better. But there are freakier guys too? I hate being followed, but it happened like three times on one night, and I'm nothing special.

Oxford doesn't even begin to compare to Chapel St! I mean... think about all the little boutique joints that exist on Chapel that don't on Oxford. Nah mean? Arthur Galan, etc. Personally, I think the Melbourne equivalent to Chapel St. would be something like Brunswick or Fitzroy.

Nah nah, oxford + newtown shops = Chapel St. I guess it's a bit different for guys, but that's the feeling I got. The markets were so disappointing heh.

Ta, will drop by Shinka and take a look around. And I have been convinced to give Melbourne another chance :P I'll make some Melbourner friends first.

Personal opinion: Melbourne boys dance better. But there are freakier guys too? I hate being followed, but it happened like three times on one night, and I'm nothing special.

Ta, will drop by Shinka and take a look around. And I have been convinced to give Melbourne another chance :P I'll make some Melbourner friends first.

Haha yeah it seems to be a general coensus amongst my Sydney female friends. How Melbourne guys are generally better dressed, better looking and carry themselves better. Who knows really.

But yeah, definitely come down to Melbourne, if you're here while I am, I'll be more than happy to show you at least a few hidden gems around. For example, last night I was out with an old friend for a few beers and we went down to Hardware Lane. This quiet little place full of little gems of watering holes. Anyhow, to our surprise and pleasure, there was a 3-piece live jazz band playing on the street itself.

I suppose it's hard to convey how enjoyable it is, but the magic was that this band was just there for kicks. Not playing for money or anything [or so I deduced, by the lack of a hat or box on the floor to collect coins] but for the sheer enjoyment of it. And anyway, they were good enough that all the bars turned down their music and most patrons sat on the outside tables enjoying their drinks and a cigarette [Oh joy! I remember those days I could have both at the same time] while listening to an actually decent jazz band.

Sorry for rambling. Haha.

better electronic music coming out of Melbourne is something new to me.. i mean it does have some for sure but to say it is better then Sydney seems a bit opinionated - for every good Melbourne act i can think of an artist from Sydney just as good. admittedly i haven't immersed myself into the genre as much as i was, say... 2 yrs ago.

Believe me my friend Melbourne is definately the dance/electronic capital of Australia.The versatility of styles is just unbeatable. No where else will you have such a range of different genres and sub genres playing on the one night. The Melbourne scene caters for all. I only judge this on having grew up in Sydney then going down to melbourne on several occasions just for different acts. But yeh i guess its my personal opinion judging on the last four years anyway.

I <3 Melbourne. So admittedly, I might be a little biased. I never knew about Melbourne's electro though. Not a particularly huge fan myself but I'll say that even the hiphop [and I don't mean the Chingy and Nelly or Soulja Boy they play on radio] is far better in Melbourne than Sydney. But then again, that's subjective. Just all about the places you go I suppose.

Outta curiosity, has anyone seen people doing the Melbourne shuffle in Syd?

Yeh definately Brunswick st is the equivelent of Newtown, basicly fitzroy in general. As far as hip hop goes souljah boy is not hip hop, he is shit producer, ahh man i hate him. Shit fake bape wearing poser. Yeh anyways excuse the rant. But yeh hip hop is definately massive in melbourne. Obese ftw!

yes.

they need a mad headslap

AGREED!

Nah nah, oxford + newtown shops = Chapel

no way

Brunswick for sure..

The versatility of styles is just unbeatable. No where else will you have such a range of different genres and sub genres playing on the one night.

Hmm ok well I am pretty sold now. I think the quality coming out of Sydney is good but it is no way varied. All indie electro stuff... would love more consistet variation.

Hmm ok well I am pretty sold now. I think the quality coming out of Sydney is good but it is no way varied. All indie electro stuff... would love more consistet variation.

Yeh man the quality in sydney is in no way bad, just a little bland. Of course there are some exceptions. You can basically judge the quality of Melbourne of what kind of music sells out of DMC records in Prahan. Seriously and of course all of the nights that are cranking every night. You may notice that alot of massive acts miss sydney all together because it symply can't cater for them...ie. no real crowd or event organisers capable of putting on the show.

Yes agreed wow great to see all of these posers liking the whole indie electro style, but yeh that sound was as far as im concerned completely played out and rinsed over a year ago. Mind you Daft Punk rocked the roof down at Sidney Myer. BOH! Yes i travelled all the way down from Sydney to Melbourne to see Daft Punk because the crowds are just so much better and so is the atmosphere :)

Any ideas for a black leather jacket in Sydney? Dont care what brand or price as long as its a good cut and good quality with no cheasy stitching (ie, politix, hugo boss et al).

Black, cropped, slim, preferably a classic design, thinking either motocycle racer type or 'ramones style'....open to suggestions though.

thanks gentlemen

Hmm..the only reason I havent bought a jacket online is because its a lot of money if it doesnt fit. Im very particular about how jackets fit me so its very difficult.

The search continues i guess.

The company i used to work for used them all the time for customer alterations... hemming trousers was $14 from memory, jeans should be somewhere in that ballpark. I don't know if they do chainstitch or anything so in the instance of something simple like a denim hem I don't know if there would be much benefit of going there but of course it couldn't hurt.

Consistantly excellent job done by them though in my experience. Couple years back since I have used them I have to admit but i am pretty certain they still work with the luxury brands.

While we are on the topic of alterations i had a crotch blow out repaired by an alterations joint up the road from my house on blue point road mcmahons point/north sydney and the job was fantastic. near unnoticable from exterior of the jeans and the hole was BIG because i just kept wearing them and wearing them... i could fit my hand through it.