Infernal Affairs or The Departed

dumadiscount

Infernal Affairs. IMO The Departed had an overblown/superficial quality to it. And Jack Nicholson was knee-deep in that weak "bad guys who do/say weird shit to show just how bad they are" trope. That said, I liked it, but it pales in comparison to IA.

I know one is a remake of the other but is it really useful to compare a slick, glass and metal urban jungle thriller with razor sharp editing and a perfectly paced scenario to a gritty, 70s style character driven cop-drama set in the working class district, all rust browns and greys. Look, pacing, editing, dialogue even thematic angle are so different those are totaly different movies unless you just write a very short description of each event and compare both movies using that you'll find nothing similar.

I know one is a remake of the other but is it really useful to compare a slick, glass and metal urban jungle thriller with razor sharp editing and a perfectly paced scenario to a gritty, 70s style character driven cop-drama set in the working class district, all rust browns and greys. Look, pacing, editing, dialogue even thematic angle are so different those are totaly different movies unless you just write a very short description of each event and compare both movies using that you'll find nothing similar.

totally agree.

but since we're comparing apples and oranges anyway: i enjoyed the departed much more (despite my soft spot for tony leung).

[and why isn't this thread a poll?]

Has anyone seen that new movie w/ Tony Leung "Confessions of Pain" yet? Made by the same guys behind IA...apparently another good cop/bad cop epic, it looks pretty interesting, too bad I will have to wait until I am back in HK to get the VCD....

Takeshi Kaneshiro's in it too.. man I wanna see it so bad

I haven't seen the Departed. Is it a remake of Infernal Affairs? I must say that I loved IA so it would be difficult to top it.

i haven't seen the departed either, but it's basically an americanized version of infernal affairs with an ending that's more appropriated or whatever to the american audience... or that was what my friend told me.

can you buy internal affairs for us region dvd players? and do they have dubbing or subtitles?

there are dvd players that can play dvds from all regions. you could find infernal affairs at places like ranch market 99 (some asian mall), chinatown, or you could always get the torrent for it.

I'd really have to say Infernal Affairs... Although I enjoyed both, I felt that the writing in Departed made every phrase said by Dicaprio-Nicholson-Wahlberg-Damon seem like a quotable "catch-phrase" - trying to hard to be gangster. Infernal Affairs seemed to pace faster, I felt it was more suspenseful/gripping, and Tony Leung is the man.

• 1 month later...

Even though The Departed won several Oscars, there'll be no room in my heart for a complex and intruiging story of double-crossing cops/gangsters passing like ships in the night except for Infernal Affairs.

Not to take away from Scorcese, but his Oscar felt like one given away out of pity.