Infernal Affairs or The Departed

dumadiscount

I thought Infernal Affairs was a better movie. The Departed was pretty good, but I thought the pacing of the moving was way too long-winded and almost tedious.

Save from some better dialogue, better editing, and a better written female psychiatrist character/role, The Departed kind of felt like a wannabe Heat with an Infernal Affairs plot, sans the overall atmosphere, suspense, and dual-lead acting quality of both.

i think after seeing HK gangster movies on tv every other friday night, the plotlines and human relationships of IA begin to get a little stale. the cinematography isn't particularly fresh - i did love the colour palette in IA though.

however when i watched The Departed, scorsese managed to make me smile (especially in the death scenes--i have a huge thing for black comedy, and this was very well done in the departed) and yet grimace at the same time, and i appreciated that. i agree with a prior comment about the scripting being a little too epic in scorsese's film, but the feel was great--i think recently we've had too many slick thieving/gangster/crime films, the whole ocean's eleven feel was great and so was lock/stock, but i thought this was a welcome throwback to a slightly less popular style?

on the other hand...maybe it's just that i haven't had the old godfather films playing on tv every friday night that this seems novel and intriguing. i think that might form part of the reason - we get alot less of the "westernised" gangster films here, and alot more of the HK stuff. mental saturation?

can you buy internal affairs for us region dvd players? and do they have dubbing or subtitles?

my reply is almost 2 months late, but I just wanted to throw out some info for everyone else:

you can buy a Xvid/Divx compatible dvd-player for like $50-60 off amazon. I download .avi rips of the dvds and burn them to a DVD-RW. No more long waiting for DVD-r's to finish downloading, and XviD quality is damn fine, and there's support for subtitles (with the only downside being that there are no chapters)

oh, and I'm going to watch infernal affairs for the first time tomorrow afternoon