Generic American Streetwear is popular in Japan?

Aeros

ON THE OTHER HAND BOBBY IS AN OG SUPERFUTURE MEMBER AND DOESN'T TRY TO LIKE, HUNT DOWN SUPERHATERS IN REAL LIFE BECAUSE HE GETS BUTTHURT, WHICH IS MORE THAN I CAN SAY ABOUT SOME T-SHIRT BRANDS.

I'M NOT SAYIN', I'M JUST SAYIN'

spacer.gif

shit... i dont know of any brands that would do that shit.

especially not FUCT or ROUGES GALLERY

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the answer to the question of this thread poses is "YES."

american streetwear still sells in japan, but not the the extent that it did years ago. it is definitely not the apple of the media's eye anymore.

Now I'm not denying the fact that Japanese consumers buy poorly designed, over-hyped goods as over here. I just find it very hard to believe that they do. Obviously I have been told otherwise and I now have come to terms with this.

this all depends on what consumer this was in referrence too. obviously all of japan's consumers are not the same. i would tend to think that MOST japaneses consumers in tokyo would buy quality products because of the abundant smorgasbord of choice in relation to geographic distance. the superpowers of japanese street definitely produce better quality good then that of their western counterparts, there is no denying this. i am also of the opinion that japanese understand cut and fit alittle better then most americans.

Ok, I've let this thread sit in my consciousness for some while. Honestly, I don't understand Mr. Hundred's comment on these new American streetwear brands being hugely popular here in Japan. I think for a rarified niche market, yes, the big players, aka Supreme, Silas, more recently LRG, et al. are still popular here, but the general mood like jmatsu has said has drifted from the late 1990-early 2000s popular skater, streetwear, workwear aesthetic to a Dior-homme, rocker, bohemian aesthetic. Also, I think the notion that units are being sold swiftly is skewed, since just like in the US, the number of units produced is artificially limited and the number of retailers, more than the US, is much smaller. The market seems to attack the same market that was into BAPE, head-porter, and the amalgamation of one-off Hara-kei labels, aka Soph., AG, montage, mack-daddy, et. al, that seem to have lost presence in the wave from label consciousness to osentatiousness that seems to have transformed the industry. I try to frequent Harajuku, Daikanyama, etc., at least 2-3 times a month, and in the last 1 year I've been here, I haven't seen a single person wearing aforemented labels. Like xcoldricex atested towards, Abercrombie is popular here, especially amongst young women.

majority of japs into stream line...they wear gucci, LV, prada, etc, etc

what exactly does this have to do with the thread? thanks for the effort, but it's not like this is a mystery.