Generic American Streetwear is popular in Japan?

Aeros

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude seriously......why do you even car what japanese people buy, you are nothing but a follower.

Dude seriously I don't care. It's just hard for me to believe that the Japanese market, which is a very particular one, would buy crappy american streetwear.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the idea of American products/ideas/lifestyle in Japan has always been placed on a pedastal. It doesn't seem to figure in actual quality, rather an identity of branding that is associated with American. For the current generation, this association might be with the streetwear industry.

The answer to your question is yes.

Say what you want about the quality of the designs and you can have opinions all day about the people who spend the most money on street wear (another post entirely)

but please tell me what about lemaur and dualey , the Hundreds and aNYthing lack integrity these are for the most part young people making clothes that reflect there lifestyle rather then mock it and take away from it

yo im not dick riding at all i just dont see how you can shit on it just cause it isn't you cup of tea

I'm from NYC i dont like vans im not on here craping on every clown who thinks well dressed cause he has a pair of plaid slip ons

there are just some normal people out there that don't really care about what clothes they are. they see it, they like it, they buy it.

they aren't thinking about...oh quality or oh is this crappy american streetwear? no they just think...oh this is nice, i think I'll wear it.

the vast majority of the people in the world are like this

but please tell me what about lemaur and dualey , the Hundreds and aNYthing lack integrity these are for the most part young people making clothes that reflect there lifestyle rather then mock it and take away from it

Please don't associate aNYthing with brands like Lemar and Dauley or the Hundreds.

The latter brands, like Crooks and Castles, 10 Deep, etc. are beyond wack.

Just cause these brands make t-shirts and consider themselves "streetwear" does not put them in the same league as Supreme, Alife, aNYthing.

Supreme, et al. work with legitimate companies and artists to produce their gear and have history.

Those wack brands like the Hundreds and 10 Deep "collaborate" with each other by putting their own shitty graphics and logos all over shitty clothes, and have no clout. Not to mention the fact that they steal ideas from the legitimate companies.

Please don't associate aNYthing with brands like Lemar and Dauley or the Hundreds.

Just cause these brands make t-shirts and consider themselves "streetwear" does not put them in the same league as Supreme, Alife, aNYthing.

Supreme, et al. work with legitimate companies and artists to produce their gear and have history.

Those wack brands like the Hundreds and 10 Deep "collaborate" with each other by putting their own shitty graphics and logos all over shitty clothes, and have no clout. Not to mention the fact that they steal ideas from the legitimate companies.

Bobby Hundreds is terrific at marketing. And he has discovered that today's youth is dumber and more susceptible to marketing then any other generation. With that understanding he knows that he can build street credibility through the one venue that has a low barrier of entry: the internet. His legitimacy in the streetware game was and is created by him and his cohort of shit brands. The collaborations are rediculous, but the bottom line is that they move product.

With all you can say about Supreme and their customer service the bottom line is that they are a skate company. And the create their product and derive such aethetics from this "i don't give a fuck" ideology.

What The Hundreds and Crooks has created is borrowed. And yes, their is a lot of borrowing in this industry.

And though their product is arguably inferior to Supreme the base is that they have done something that their buyers have related to. And sadly the popularity of their product is a commentary on the streetware market. Streetware has become a whore, and why is it so difficult to believe that those outside of the US can not fall victim to a readily accessible replacement to the real thing.

too true for words.

the only clout the recent generation of streetwear has is that which it creates by only involving itself with its own kind, i.e., other nascent streetwear brands.

streetwear today isn't a whore, it's a circle jerk over sub-par products. not to say that any insular industry isn't a circle jerk, but the quality of say, Supreme or aNYthing's early work, compared to the Hundreds or Crooks & Castles, is like comparing steak to Spam.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but the idea of American products/ideas/lifestyle in Japan has always been placed on a pedastal. It doesn't seem to figure in actual quality, rather an identity of branding that is associated with American. For the current generation, this association might be with the streetwear industry.

Honestly, I am surprised why anyone is all surprised that American streetwear is at all sought out by the Japanese customer. I mean, an entire segment of their jeans industry is devoted to making reproduction of classic American jeans.

Bobby Hundreds is terrific at marketing.

A retarded monkey could be good at marketing a hyped t-shirt to today's youth. He's not a genius.

With that understanding he knows that he can build street credibility through the one venue that has a low barrier of entry: the internet.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You can't earn "street cred" on the internet. You pay your dues in the streets. Your statement illustrates my point. These brands have no history or legitmacy.

The collaborations are rediculous, but the bottom line is that they move product.

So does Abercrombie, American Eagle, etc. and they are wack. People don't respect companies based on units sold.

With all you can say about Supreme and their customer service the bottom line is that they are a skate company.

What's your point? Supreme may be "just a skate company", but they work with legitimate musicians, artists, companies, etc. They hire artists to create product as opposed to companies like the Hundreds who use clipart and illustrator to make a shitty t-shirt.

What The Hundreds and Crooks has created is borrowed.

That's a nice euphemism for STOLEN. The Hundreds straight bites legitmate brands.

And though their product is arguably inferior to Supreme

There's no argument, it's a fact.

the base is that they have done something that their buyers have related to.

Which is? Run blogs and act cool on the internet? Yeah, that's real credible.

How say you?

You're basing your conception of the Japanese market off an absurd stereotype based on a minimal percentage of the population or perhaps from the brands that are developed in Japan. If you had read the rest of the thread or observations from other members who either live or have been to Japan, I'm sure you'd find that as much of the population their have an unfortunate sense of dress that involves buying poorly designed, over-hyped goods as over here.

A retarded monkey could be good at marketing a hyped t-shirt to today's youth. He's not a genius.

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds? You can't earn "street cred" on the internet. You pay your dues in the streets. Your statement illustrates my point. These brands have no history or legitmacy.

So does Abercrombie, American Eagle, etc. and they are wack. People don't respect companies based on units sold.

What's your point? Supreme may be "just a skate company", but they work with legitimate musicians, artists, companies, etc. They hire artists to create product as opposed to companies like the Hundreds who use clipart and illustrator to make a shitty t-shirt.

That's a nice euphemism for STOLEN. The Hundreds straight bites legitmate brands.

There's no argument, it's a fact.

Which is? Run blogs and act cool on the internet? Yeah, that's real credible.

I'm giving credit where credit is due. I have a few friends in this design industry, and 999 out of 1000 fail. Bobby, Rickey (EM), and I went to UCSD together. And I knew about The Hundreds from the get go, when there were 3 dudes at Layola Law School. I am arguing the simple fact that they have found a way to tap into a market that was, at one point or another, difficult to get into.

At the end of the day I don't wear The Hundreds, but at the same time I don't get upset if they are making money.

Well, according to Bobby Hundreds it is.

Is there any truth to this? I honestly can't believe that the Japanese market buys that shit (with the exception of aNYthing).

aeros, i am in tokyo. american streetwear is pretty much dead. the japanese streetwear powers still move units. this is probably because of their connections/influence, and most importantly because they are stepping up their game by trying to create non-hypebeast garments.

the only nonjapanese street garments that i still see alot are supreme,stussy and silas (not that i condone this). this is because these companies have the finances and connections to still advertise/product placement. it's pretty much politics. even if a talented designer/firm/stylist wanted to critisize these companies or the like, they can't do so without being ostricized and losing some connection or business (it's the sad truth).

people on this thread saying shit like crook and castles, the hundreds, and crappola of the same nature don't know what they are talking about.

of course a major number of units may slip through and end up being purchased by ignorant country japanese, but it's not as if the informed consumer/fashionista is buying.

for example, strickly street fashion mags have been featuring high fashion and nonhypebeast labels in their issues. "mode" and rocknroll looking shit has been dominating the market for the past 4(relatively speaking) years. they have to do this, or no japanese consumer who has a vague perception of what is "hip" or "in" will buy. so althought their main source of income is street, they obviously are awknowledging the fact that the street industry is being overtaken by that of high fashion.

hypebeasts don't worry, in another couple years your cycle will def. return to japan. until then just shut the fuck up.

You're basing your conception of the Japanese market off an absurd stereotype based on a minimal percentage of the population or perhaps from the brands that are developed in Japan. If you had read the rest of the thread or observations from other members who either live or have been to Japan, I'm sure you'd find that as much of the population their have an unfortunate sense of dress that involves buying poorly designed, over-hyped goods as over here.

I myself have been to Japan and all I'm saying is that the Japanese market is one that is extremely particular and hard to corner. (Remember the huge recession that the Japanese economy experience throughout the late 90s that only ended a few years ago? Well that happened because the consumer base in Japan wasn't buying anything.) And quite honestly I'm not basing anything on misconception. The fact is is that the Japanese market is an extremely particular one, probably more so than any other market in the world.

Now I'm not denying the fact that Japanese consumers buy poorly designed, over-hyped goods as over here. I just find it very hard to believe that they do. Obviously I have been told otherwise and I now have come to terms with this.