Movie Discussion

soundune

i have recommended it on here before (i think)

but Bergman's Hour of the Wolf is mindblowing

a horror flick, essentially, but bergman-esque.

actually, it feels more like a fellini horror flick

but yeah, awesome.

saw it twice in a couple months time which is rare for me

also, the Netflix streaming thing is incredible

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

bumping this up...

this looks so incredibly awful and more so because I absolutely love the book. I can't even begin to imagine what possessed anyone to have baz luhrmann involved let alone directing.

Edited by jackg

I was going to write something about how insulting it is too the book, and to someone who hated hollywood (even in the 30's when cinema was good), but really, what do you expect? Its Hollywood, its filmed to make money, it will probably come out in 3-D on every Imax in world.

like, it has a Kanye West song playing throughout the trailer...

Edited by joeyod007

haha yes yes I really couldn't expect anything less but its disappointing for a whole range of reasons maybe most poignantly for me is that for lots of people this will be their point of reference for the great gatsby.

Marie Antoinette was pretty awful from memory, I did like the fact that it had aphex twin in the soundtrack but I don't recall anything else impressing me....

have either of you seen the new wes anderson film (moonrise)? what did you think? I was super disappointed, not sure if its just not that good a film or maybe my patience and appreciation for andersons humor has waned.. .

Saw Moonrise Kingdom recently, and I have to say that I was never a big fan of Wes Anderson's humor. I felt almost every actor was wasted on that film, and I really don't like the whole wisecracking kids-acting-above-their-age-thing (Also: Little Miss Sunshine, Juno, etc.). I guess people find that cute, but just let kids be kids, not mini-adults (Rousseau-type idea).

For me that culminated in the scene in the little bay, which gave me a Larry Clark-type feeling of uneasiness. What did you think about that?

mmmm I am going to go with movies I have enjoyed watching this year (not necessarily released this year though)

- Press Pause Play

- Sonatine

- Naked Lunch

- Another Happy Day

- Life During Wartime

- Oslo, August 31st

- Reprise

- Shame

those are just the first few that come to mind but Oslo really stands out. What did you guys think of it? I finished it for the first time and watched the whole thing again almost straight away which I hardly ever do.

Recently finished Certified Copy and A Prophet (late pass) thoroughly enjoyed both. Since Oslo is still in discussion I would go ahead and recommend Certified Copy to those who haven't seen it yet, though the subject matter and characters seem to have no similarities, both Kirostami and Trier share a desire to directly interact with the audience through means of outlook and perspective.

Edited by Mrama

• 3 weeks later...