SDA 103's WTF on the size? I'm dyin' here!

mikesduc

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be able to give you before/after hot soak measurements of SD-003's in size 30 tomorrow. Give me a few days after that and I can tell you how much they strech initially...

thanks man... i'm a size 33 though... 182 lbs, 5'11

i hope that my proportions will yield some similar results to what I've seen with the X03 cut.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking about purchasing some 103's but this thread along with Lowery's thread just confuses me even more. From the first half of this thread, I'm getting a vibe that I should go with my natural waist, but from the second half, everyone is stating how much they stretch and so I'm thinking, it's safe to size down. Since this thread is almost 5 months old, I was hoping to get feedback/updates from 103 owners about sizing (thanks mikesduc and dp for the replies). For reference, I myself am a 34 in RRDS and S5000VX and don't intend on washing my jeans often. Input is much appreciated.

I have a pair size 32" did a hot soaked them for about 90 min then let um' air dry. they shrank up about an inch in the waist, put them on and stretched them out for a couple of days. My normal size is about a 31" or 32" they stretched out a little bit but not a huge amount, so imo go with your normal size or if you like them really slim go one inch smaller because they'll give.

I am thinking about purchasing some 103's but this thread along with Lowery's thread just confuses me even more. From the first half of this thread, I'm getting a vibe that I should go with my natural waist, but from the second half, everyone is stating how much they stretch and so I'm thinking, it's safe to size down. Since this thread is almost 5 months old, I was hoping to get feedback/updates from 103 owners about sizing (thanks mikesduc and dp for the replies). For reference, I myself am a 34 in RRDS and S5000VX and don't intend on washing my jeans often. Input is much appreciated.

from my experience: go with your natural waist size.

i went with my natural waist size (31), and my never-soaked-or-washed, 2 month old sd103's fit similar to my sized down (30) s5000bk's. actually, the d'artisans are definitely tighter in the seat, and a tad tighter in the thigh. i'm planning on never hard washing them (going to dry clean only), because if these shrink at all, i don't think i'll be able to get them back on.

of course, my legs are pretty thick from years of playing sports and hitting the gym, so your mileage may vary.

that being said, definitely go for the 103's -- the denim on these bad boys is amazing! once you get the sizing figured out, you're going to love them.

I'm a 31 waist naturally. I have RRDS in size 30 and got the 103's in a 32. I hot soaked them and air dried. They fit comfortably and didn't need to be stretched out at the waist at all. They are slim but not tight. I don't like a really tight fit so the 32's are perfect for me.

I will be able to give you before/after hot soak measurements of SD-003's in size 30 tomorrow. Give me a few days after that and I can tell you how much they strech initially...

are you still gonna do this?

btw, do 003's come in a size 27?

i bought my true size... size 33 (33.5 waist)... a 40 degree ish soak yielded shrinking that i was happy with in the waist at the time... not uncomfortably tight but it held up well on my waist without a belt.

Within a day or so it stretched out a decent amount, i'd say to a 34 ish and it will sag on my hips without a belt.

I think that if you have certain dimensions you want in terms of fit then get the appropriate size. I thought they would be "tighter" cause they are designated as a slim straight but i didn't really agree with that title. But that's me ahaha

If you sized down 1 waist size you'd be alright imo.

Shit i forgot to mention I got SD-003's... not sure if that makes a huge different LHT vs. RHT??? If so disregard sorry

Pre

Waist 17 in

Rise 11 in

Thigh 12 1/4

Knee 9

Leg Opening 9

Inseam 36

Waist 16.5

Rise 10.5

Thigh 12

Knee

Leg Opening 8 3/4

Inseam 35.5

I am estimaging the inseam cause i actually forgot to record the measurement

Sorry for the delay. I didn't get around to soaking them till a week after my previous post and then I was in pm convo's but never posted here.

SD-003 tagged size 30

pre-soak/post-soak:

waist - 32/31.5

front rise - 11/10.5

back rise - 15/14.5

thigh - 24.5/24

inseam - 36.75/35.25

knee - 9/8.875

hem - 8.5/8.25

I soaked them for an hour in the hottest water that comes out of my tap, which is damn hot. The water was luke warm/cool at the end of the hour. As you can see they didn't shrink much (waist still bigger than tagged size). I thought it might be because I "only" soaked them for 1 hour. However, in pm's with 'iamstarwars' he said that his 003's didn't shrink much even after 3 soaks totaling 24 hours plus using dryer so I decided to just wear them after the 1 hour soak.

I've worn them for a few days now. I've been pulling them down to my hips/butt to try to stretch the waist and its stretched a little, but not that much. I'm sure they they will strech some more, but I'm not expecting them to stretch too much. Everything besides the waist is probably loose enough so that those parts won't stretch out much, if at all.

I'll post pics later, but in terms of fit they are definately not tight, and on the loose side of "slim." I have a RRDS in size 30 and I'd say the RRDS are tighter than these. Then again, I've only worn these for three days and I've had the RRDS for 6 months with one wash recently.

Thats a long post but feel free to ask questions by posting or pm. I'm mostly a lurker but I'm happy to share my "knowledge" on what I know/have. I'll post pics when I get around to them and updates in 4-6 months.

seems like the general consensus is to size down one on this...That means I'll need a 27 in this. Do they produce 27s? I'm thinking of getting 003 or S0X010J something, but seems like both doesn't have a 27 =/

I saw a pic of the fit on bears (iirc). Fit was awful, mainly because they were pre-soak i think. Hence, pic of the post-soak fit will be appreciated :)

repped first anyway.

Ordered true size 32"

dsc02591em8.jpg

dsc02592lo8.jpg

dsc02620ab4.jpg

Loved them, they were just too short for me to realistically wear.

For the sake of comoparison, me in a 32" 5000VX:

dsc02638aw9.jpg

Measurements for both:

5000VX:

Waist: 32"

Frt rise: 10.75"

Back rise: 14.25"

Upper thigh: 12.5"

Knee: 9.25"

Leg opening: 8.75"

Inseam: (stretched to) 37.5"

Here are rough measurements for the 103 one-washed size 32:

Frt rise: 10.25"

Back rise: 14"

Upper thigh: 11.5"

Knee: 8.5"

Leg opening: 8"

Inseam: (stretched to) 34"

I think the key thing for future buyers is the difference between 103 and 003 sizing. My 003 in tagged 30 seem to have similar measurments to Justin's 103 tagged 32 (both post-soak/wash). Its probably due to the denim. I have a feeling that they are cut to the same measurements pre-soak, but the 103 shrinks to tagged size while the 003 has minimal shrinkage. This is my observation atleast.

Is the only difference between the 003 and 103 RHT & LHT, respectively (that rhymes :)) ? I know LHT supposed to be softer, but other than that, they should be the same? For example, a 103 in a size 36 and a 003 in a size 34 would be comparable?

Sorry for the personal questions. I would PM, but they seem to be down, yes i've checked the superoff. forum.

Is the only difference between the 003 and 103 RHT & LHT, respectively (that rhymes :)) ? I know LHT supposed to be softer, but other than that, they should be the same? For example, a 103 in a size 36 and a 003 in a size 34 would be comparable?

Sorry for the personal questions. I would PM, but they seem to be down, yes i've checked the superoff. forum.

The cut is similar, but the 003 is slightly lighter than the 103, and uses a grey weft (instead of white for the 103). I think that's it. But yeah, I recommend from my own sad experience to size down at least 1 from your 103 size for a similar fit in 003. I actually sized down 2 for my second pair.

Measurements for both:

5000VX:

Frt rise: 10.75"

Back rise: 14.25"

Upper thigh: 12.5"

Knee: 9.25"

Leg opening: 8.75"

Inseam: (stretched to) 37.5"

Here are rough measurements for the 103 one-washed size 32:

Frt rise: 10.25"

Back rise: 14"

Upper thigh: 11.5"

Knee: 8.5"

Leg opening: 8"

Inseam: (stretched to) 34"

Are the inseams on the 103's really that short? Anyone know the measurement of the no wash 103's after washing (30 waist)? Damn long legs...:mad:

Will LHT vs. RHT wear differently as well is something that I was wondering.

I agree with iamstarwars on his reply. I didn't really notice the gray weft difference when I was trying them on in Japan but that seems to be what people say. I believe the 003 is 14oz while the 103 is 15 oz. The 003 also has lighter tan stitching while the 103 has a brighter orange stitching. I also think this is discussed in this thread or Mike Lowry's thread.

I'm guessing your right about 103 size 36 = 003 size 34. I'd go down two sizes in 003 of what you think you wear in 103. I was actually thinking this earlier but didn't write it down. However, this is just an idea so don't quote me on it. I'd definately get atleast 1 size smaller in 003 than 103 though based on what I've read abot 103 shrinking and the lack of shrinking for 003.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Superstar, did your SD-103 stretch out eventually? SD-103 owners, how long did the denim soften? My week-old 103 is busting my ball. The waist, thigh do fits well but the crotch is real tight. Would getting a bigger size help much?

i bought my true size... size 33 (33.5 waist)... a 40 degree ish soak yielded shrinking that i was happy with in the waist at the time... not uncomfortably tight but it held up well on my waist without a belt.

Within a day or so it stretched out a decent amount, i'd say to a 34 ish and it will sag on my hips without a belt.

I think that if you have certain dimensions you want in terms of fit then get the appropriate size. I thought they would be "tighter" cause they are designated as a slim straight but i didn't really agree with that title. But that's me ahaha

If you sized down 1 waist size you'd be alright imo.

Looking back, I totally agree with the above statement. I presumed the fit will be similar to PBJxx-005 or even dukes. It looks like a regular straight on me going true size.

Superstar, did your SD-103 stretch out eventually? SD-103 owners, how long did the denim soften? My week-old 103 is busting my ball. The waist, thigh do fits well but the crotch is real tight. Would getting a bigger size help much?

My initial discomfort lasts about a few days. After it softens up a wee bit, it's fine. But maybe you'll need to up 1 size...

I've had no problems with the crotch, going true size. Could even size down 1.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I want to soak my 103 but I have some questions:

- I want to where them while soaking them. I'll take a hot bath with the 103's on. Is that a good i dea?? I see most of you guys soak them on a bath without wearing them.

- for how long do you need to soak them. 10 min or 30 min??

sorry for the nube questions. Any good tips??

I bought my first 103 today, I just love the denim and could not resist :)

Thanks alot guys!!