Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

True mr. chron. However my guilty pleasure is nip/tuck.....it just seems to get more and more insane its ridiculous. How do they come up with that shit?

I hate this new generation of television shows (the ones you just mentioned + greys anatomy and others i can't remember). All the stupid soap opera style stories with just a million plot twists and cliff hangers the end of every episode. Plus, they all suck. Everytime i have to watch one of those with a friend, i just sit there respecting my friend less.

I find the new Rosetta Stone commercial with Michael Phelps extremely unnatural/forced. There's just something about it that I bugs me. Something about the way he talks..

That's because Phelps is, apparently, a total fucking shit-brain of a human being. Some people I know that went to highschool with him said he was a smug little prick and actually called one of them a "fag" for no reason. He also looks like a cromag.

VTWNJoNJz4M

two high school kids from st. petersburg, florida cover unreleased animal collective songs. their style is quite similar on their originals, with heavy doses of psyche-folk and acoustic with a pinch of electronic (well, more than just the usual samples and loops).

wow.

Animal Collective. "Extremely unnatural/forced." Some might say... Phony.

I fucking hate it when USPS just decides NOT to pickup the packages I have scheduled to be picked up.

Usually they just leave the packages in my box and I have to run to the post office and drop them off after work. Today, however, they called me and said the post man "could not get the package out of the mail box".

What bullshit.

yeah i don't get what the fuck you just said.

but if you were calling animal collective unnatural, forced or phony, you must not have a broad view of modern music and/or a wide familiarity with their tracks. they are most likely the single most innovative and envelope-pushing band of the past decade (in their respective genre).

by the way, the video is an original. i'll link you to some uploads of their covers if you want.

but if you were calling animal collective unnatural, forced or phony, you must not have a broad view of modern music and/or a wide familiarity with their tracks. they are most likely the single most innovative and envelope-pushing band of the past decade (in their respective genre).

That depends a lot on how broad / small of a genre we're giving them. They're a fairly creative bunch but I think you're giving them too much credit.

That depends a lot on how broad / small of a genre we're giving them. They're a fairly creative bunch but I think you're giving them too much credit.

well, it really depends on what you want to call them genre-wise. and additionally, i'm referring to them as a band. i'm definitely not thinking panda bear, avey tare, geologist, etc. are individually the most innovative over the past 10 years, but together they have made more success pushing the boundaries in acoustic-electronic-sample based-experimental-shoegaze-etc. etc. all rolled into one.

i would admit that to others it may seem that i give them too much credit, and i'm not gonna debate that. but "unnatural," "forced," or "phony?" that's absurd. how are they unnatural, forced or phony? as far as i'm concerned, there were no animal collective-esque artists/bands before animal collective. others may have done their different parts, but animal collective brought their own minute style pieces to a broader picture. my only reasoning behind this opinion and lofty statement would be that it would be fairly impossible (if not incredibly hard) to state where (musically) animal collective took their inspiration.

Ok, man. Animal Collective is alright and all but lay off the pitchfork.com.

yeah i don't get what the fuck you just said.

by the way, the video is an original. i'll link you to some uploads of their covers if you want.

One time I saw them live and they sucked.

I also am not particularly fond of their music in general.

Panda Bear's solo stuff is better, at least, from the little bit I've heard.

my only reasoning behind this opinion and lofty statement would be that it would be fairly impossible (if not incredibly hard) to state where (musically) animal collective took their inspiration.

Psych-folk and primitivism / detroit techno / hip hop / the experimental music scenes in Boston / New York circa-2000 (how about Black Dice[/u] for instance? This isn't actually that difficult. While they certainly do a good job with innovating and occasionally abandoning reference points I think it's something of an insult to the band as well as the scenes and environments from which they come to imply they exist or were 'born' in some sort of vacuum.

uh, what? i don't browse pitchfork.

and i'd disagree with you, servo, on a few of the influences as mainly they aren't visible in more than a few songs, one EP, etc. but i'd say you generally are correct in analyzing their individual influences quite specifically (0). on black dice, though, similarity, yes. i like to think black dice is more hardcore oriented (at least in their first 4 albums/EPs). likewise, they collaborated with wolf eyes for however many albums and i think that generally separates them from animal collective quite disctinctly in sound.

and lastly, i do realize how i came across stating how animal collective were born in a "vacuum," but i didn't mean that. i almost meant that their influences are too broad (in the individual band members' sense) that they were more or less unique as a band upon their first releases. animal collective was pretty damn original for a band that made it to the "mainstream" in half a decade.

---

wow. it's pretty nice to discuss music with people whose every opinion on music is "my chemical romance is sooooo good," whether they agree with me or not. thanks :)

edit: oh, i can understand the dislike with animal collective and all, but i've been listening to all different kinds of experimental for quite a while. i started with animal collective with their hollinndagain album and i like them too much to buy into the more recent hype and nods they get from mainstream everything.

What the hell kind of mainstream is animal collective a part of?

CWGs? Fuck, gainesville is way behind then. Only thing the typical CWGs fuck with around here are previous level cwg music like dave matthews, sublime, jack johnson, random southern rock from 70s, country, other bullshit. There are a lot of cwg wannabe hipster girls too. They're probably on the animal collective tip though, i just don't know many of them that well.

i listen to whatever i feel like listening to at any given time

lately the rolling stones a lot, a lot of shitty remixes of rap songs because they're fun, some indie stuff (but less so lately), hip hop, a lot of classic rock that dolly's got me back into (queen and GNR), and yes, the odd avril or MCR track (that black parade shit is actually really fucking good)

oh yes, also i love justin timberlake

i was in the metro reading the 120 days of Sodom collector's edition booklet, and there was a drunk guy kissing all his friend on the cheek to say goodbye and shouting "see ya tomorrow"... and then... i was next to a friend of him... and he kissed me too on the cheek and shouted at me.

kinda funny but awkward. he was wearing dh b01 ... on a fashion related note.

What the hell kind of mainstream is animal collective a part of?

i've heard animal collective songs in a couple of tv shows, but i don't remember exactly which. animal collective receives quite a few plays in the UK show skins, though.

of course we're not talking justin timberlake mainstream, but considering several mainstream (i.e., not catering to specifically experimental or "psychedellic new folk") music publications and e-zines had strawberry jam in their top 15 (or 10/5) albums of 2007 (even after being released in the near 4th quarter of 2007).