Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

Notice to all who read: Refrain from writing your pseudo-intellectual insights on the margins of library books. I can't read, nor erase, these scribbles thinly veiled as significant thoughts; they only serve to annoy the crap out of me.

right, i was just being disputatious for the sake of generating some conversation. i'm sure new yorkers believe that the pizza they eat is actually good, in the same way a troglodyte who has never had the good fortune of enjoying some serious coffee might be inclined to believe that the half-assed instant shit he or she was just given represents the absolute pinnacle of the coffee world.

all jokes aside, food is one of the best bits of traveling. roasted pork sandwiches in philly, deep-fried cheese curds in northern wisconsin, bbq in the carolinas, lobster rolls in boston.

the strange thing is, everyone I know from chicago has a lot of hate for new york, new york food, new york culture, pigeons in new york are more lame than chicago pigeons, etc etc.

I don't understand this. When I lived in NYC, I didn't care at all about chicago. Why the hell does chicago give a damn about NYC, asides from the obvious jealousy factor?

also yeah, food is the best part of travel. For the best BBQ in alabama, chuckwagon in Huntsville wins hands down, just as a note. The brisket is better than any I've had in texas, hands down.

Who wants to help me with Chinese homework? I forgot my book today and it's due in like 2 hours..

I would, but chinese is all greek to me.

the strange thing is, everyone I know from chicago has a lot of hate for new york, new york food, new york culture, pigeons in new york are more lame than chicago pigeons, etc etc.

I don't understand this. When I lived in NYC, I didn't care at all about chicago. Why the hell does chicago give a damn about NYC, asides from the obvious jealousy factor?

also yeah, food is the best part of travel. For the best BBQ in alabama, chuckwagon in Huntsville wins hands down, just as a note. The brisket is better than any I've had in texas, hands down.

i agree that it gets unnecessarily petty. i've really enjoyed every place that i've had the good fortune to spend time in and would never condemn a city or its population because of things as silly and inconsequential as differences of opinion regarding food, etc. however, the thing that chicagoans do resent is this misconception that they suffer from an inferiority complex stemming from their city's position vis a vis nyc. nyc is a hell of a place, and good fun, but there are definitely people there who live to boast about their connection to it. clearly, THESE people represent a small percentage of the city's population, and their point of view should not be misconstrued as being indicitive of that of most all of their fellow new yorkers. likewise, there are certainly chicagoans harboring some strange, deep resentment for nyc who should be disregarded. i have friends who were born and raised in greensboro, n.c., and they'd tell anyone willing to listen that they've been lucky to spend their lives there. i like that.

i apologize for the long-winded response -- i'm working on a research project centering on the phenomenon of cultural transmission and the ways popular and consumer cultures affect the orderly absorption of new materials, the successful completion or failure of which will determine the course of the balance of my academic/professional life. i've been spending an overwhelming amount of time considering the myriad ways populations -- and most significantly, sub cultures within these larger populations -- self-identify. it's funny to listen to people describe where they're from, and what they believe seperates them from others.

back to bbq -- i'd like to write a book about the stuff. of course, this project would require me to travel the country sampling the best each town, city, and region has to offer. if i ever end up in alabama i'll be sure to check out your recommendation.

woo 2k word essay due midnight nowhere near done wooo

Exam next Tuesday night, 60 page final project due next Tuesday morning, 20 page final project due next Wednesday morning. Haven't started either due to having to focus on the most current work due. I'm out of town from Wednesday to Saturday for Thanksgiving. Kinda freaking out right now :(

i totally feel you, my assignments aren't as crazy as yours but i'm still feeling the pressure. haven't started my interview/research project due wednesday, uc applications due at the end of the month no where near done with my personal statements, group project the week after thanksgiving, and a french research paper by the end of term. and then final exams.

i apologize for the long-winded response -- i'm working on a research project....

have you read any of the cultural information dissemination model stuff? There's some biological precedents that are closely related to information through a population (like the spread of bacteria or a virus). It's pretty interesting.

Personally I like chicago hot dogs but don't care for the pizza too much. A chicago hot dog, done right, is a thing of exquisite perfection.

Memetics? Susan Blackmore is one of the more vocal proponents of the theory:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/the-third-replicator/

I don't find the theory all that compelling myself.

not quite. I can't remember the name of the theorist, but it's not memetics. It is on the tip of my tongue...damn.