Random Thoughts...

fade to black2

How did this happen?

Yesterday I was in my American Government class, and somehow the subject of conversation turned to pedophelia and Chris Hansen. Our prof. mentioned that she was appalled that it only takes about four seconds to attract a predator as an internet if you pose as a young boy, which frankly didn't surprise me. What did surprise me was a classmate's related story.

He mentioned that his friend was doing a project that was tangentially related to this subject, and while he was in Smathers Library (biggest library on UF campus) he did a social experiment. The gist of it was that he went into the male looking for male subsection of craigslist, and wrote a post saying "I'm in Smathers, looking for a blowjob. Meet me in the 3F bathroom?"

Apparently within about 10 minutes he'd received an email with a positive response, saying to meet him in the bathroom in about five minutes. Well, the guy went to the bathroom to find it totally empty, went back to his computer, and wrote the anonymous guy an angry e-mail about how he didn't show up. The response explained that Mr. Anonymous didn't actually expect the guy to show up, but saw now that he was serious so he'd meet him there in 10 minutes. Ten minutes pass and the guy goes into the bathroom only to find a note explaining that he'd been fooled by a girl and was dumb for asking for a blowjob in a library. So it goes.

But I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

A few weeks ago a friend of mine told me that another one of her friends had been bored while studying in the same library, and was browsing the m4m section of craigslist for kicks. She found a guy who mentioned being in Smathers Library and wanting a blowjob.

Thinking she might have a little fun, she posed as a guy and told the pursuer of the blowjob to meet her in the bathroom for a blowjob in five minutes. She never went and eventually the guy emailed her back asking why the bathroom was empty when he got there. She continued the charade and said to meet in the bathroom in ten minutes, then quickly wrote out a note about how she had fooled the guy, ran into the bathroom, and taped the note to a stall door.

I can't believe the coincidence necessary for this to have happened. Both of them were scamming too. Bizarre.

I can't believe the coincidence necessary for this to have happened. Both of them were scamming too. Bizarre.

it's not that bizarre. first, you are two degrees of separation away from both scammers, and it sounds like everyone involved is telling everyone they know about it (you heard about it in class, for crissakes, wasn't even a personal message).

since it's a pretty good story, let's say each party tells 20 people over a period of a few weeks. that makes 400 people that could hear it from either party.

so the odds of hearing it from either person is 400/40000 (assuming 40000 student body population) or about 1:100. Odds of hearing it from both directions is 1:100 x 1:100 = 1:10,000.

however, this is misleading. you don't want to know the odds of hearing that specific story from two separate parties (1:10,000). you really want to know the odds of hearing ANY story from two separate parties, because any story if heard again would probably trigger the same sense of bizarre 'coincidence.' you hear many stories all the time (with 1:100 chance each time) but you don't go 'whoa, how bizarre that i was so lucky to hear that story,' you only find it strange once you hear it again. so, the odds of hearing a story AGAIN given that you heard it once already is only about 1:100. since you hear many stories all the time, the odds of hearing one of them repeated at some point over the course of 4 years is pretty damn likely.

another way to put it is that you're noticing when you hit the jackpot, but ignoring all the many more occasions that go bust (either you didn't hear the story to begin with, or you heard it only once).

it's not that bizarre. first, you are two degrees of separation away from both scammers, and it sounds like everyone involved is telling everyone they know about it (you heard about it in class, for crissakes, wasn't even a personal message).

since it's a pretty good story, let's say each party tells 20 people over a period of a few weeks. that makes 400 people that could hear it from either party.

so the odds of hearing it from either person is 400/40000 (assuming 40000 student body population) or about 1:100. Odds of hearing it from both directions is 1:100 x 1:100 = 1:10,000.

however, this is misleading. you don't want to know the odds of hearing that specific story from two separate parties (1:10,000). you really want to know the odds of hearing ANY story from two separate parties, because any story if heard again would probably trigger the same sense of bizarre 'coincidence.' you hear many stories all the time (with 1:100 chance each time) but you don't go 'whoa, how bizarre that i was so lucky to hear that story,' you only find it strange once you hear it again. so, the odds of hearing a story AGAIN given that you heard it once already is only about 1:100. since you hear many stories all the time, the odds of hearing one of them repeated at some point over the course of 4 years is pretty damn likely.

another way to put it is that you're noticing when you hit the jackpot, but ignoring all the many more occasions that go bust (either you didn't hear the story to begin with, or you heard it only once).

effort, man... effort.

whoa whoa whoa whoa, what you play jpland version or you have the time machines or something? does it be the awesome?

jpland version at some weird anime store in the mall.

the clerks were just sitting there playing it on this huge flatscreen near the entrance.

the game looks really nice, but i didn't like playing with the wiimote.

how do doctors measure to see if someone is retarded or not? im not talking about individuals with an actual condition/disability with a full out name like down syndrome or anything.. im talking about people who are completely normal and healthy aside from being clinically retarded. or do these sort of people not exist?

wow. and it won some award at sundance?

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

how do doctors measure to see if someone is retarded or not? im not talking about individuals with an actual condition/disability with a full out name like down syndrome or anything.. im talking about people who are completely normal and healthy aside from being clinically retarded. or do these sort of people not exist?

Interesting clip from an amazing documentary.

If your hand is bigger than your face, yuzawiitaad!

im watching some challenge show on the food network right now, on best fried chicken recipes. some girl is doing chicken katsu, i dont know if its just me but chicken katsu is boring, pork katsu wins everytime.

i played super smash bros brawl.

figured ichigo would want to know.

way ahead of u on that one..

sick game nonetheless... Not buyin a wii though.. not anytime soon..

More interested in my ds and street fighter 4..