morrissey?

lilfan

Well, I'll just throw my 2 cents in..

I'm almost in my mid 30's, grew up on both bands + Depeche Mode, Joy Division, New Order, Soft Cell, U2, and slew of other 80's EMO music. The Smiths are by far my favorite band: Hatful of Hallow, The Queen is Dead and Strangeways, Here we come my favorites. Handsome Devil, You've Got Everything Now, Still Ill, Hand in Glove, Girl Afraid, I Know it's Over....shit the list goes on. I cannot tell you how many times I got laid in HS because of their music. The Cure on the other hand, not so much. Most of the kids in JHS into HS were just beginning to turn goth and only had them and few others to listen to. I got into a few of their albums and songs, my favorite being Kiss Me, Kiss Me (under-rated IMO).

But back to the Smiths...Love em', they helped me be me at that time. Trust me, was not easy being a Smiths/Morrissey fan at that time, but damn the girls I turned on to their music and whom listened to it as well were uber hot, and the others had just too much hairspray, WHAM !, Boy George, Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam, Madonna, and Stacy Q playing. Anyhow, then came Viva Hate and Morrisseys' Solo career. Now, I grew up in Compton, CA...moved to S.C.LA, and this was not the kind of music me and many of my peers grew up on altogether. But again, I related to most of the lyrics and loved the music although I could not always figure out what they meant to him or whom he was singing about...they somehow meant something to me and shit going on at the time. Concerts, Wow ! I could kill myself for never seeing them Live...I was 13 and could not see them in LA for their last tour but Morrissey I saw countless times and never was dissappointed, managed to jump on stage at the SB, County Bowl for Your Arsenal tour. Viva Hate, Bona Drag (yes!), Kill Uncle, and Your Arsenal where great IMO but with the rise of Grunge Music didnt get that much love in my HS toward graduation and college. Some of my favorites on those albums are: Sister I'm a Poet, The Last of the Famous International Playboys, Interesting Drug, Suedehead( yeah i know, entire album was great), Glamour Glue, Disappointed, etc.

I will always be a fan of that era and that music, ahh the 80's and early 90's rocked. His last few albums, I didnt get because I had to grow up and moved on. I simply fell off after Vauxhall and I :o However I do own most of his latter stuff I did recently purchase Live at Earl's Court and was happy with that, but again can't say enough about him live in concert. Now turning 34, I guess part of me still wants to see Johhny and Moz reunite..hell if David Gilmour and Roger Waters can do it, they can too.....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you're an idiot and i simply won't stand for it. cute? fuck this, so many people think they know shit about music when they don't know shit.

early post-punk and early goth music overlap so much so that one could say that at a certain point they were one and the same.

the earliest use of the term "gothic" to describe music was most likely by Martin Hannett when describing the sound of Joy Division's music that the innovative production style he is known for. Siouxsie from Siouxsie and the Banshees was also using the term "gothic" to describe her band's sound as early as 1979.

By late 1979 and early 1980, the term "gothic" seems to have been fairly common in music journalism to describe other post-punk bands. In early 1981 Abbo from UK Decay used the term "gothic" to describe the emerging post-punk movement. Around, Ian Astbury of Southern Death Cult used the term "goths" to describe Sex Gang Children's fans. The term "posi-punk", short for positive punk, was also being used to describe the less abrasive and more atmospheric British punk acts that were popping up with increasing rapidity.

Describing the audience for a Death Cult show, Tom Vague wrote "...and a pretty motley crew they are too. Hordes of Goths. It could be London..." in 1983.

And now for some quotes from the music press at the time:

In a Factory Records interview by Mary Hannon (source unknown, date post-UP, pre-Closer), there is the following passage:

"One clue to JD lies in their album's title. Another is the description given by Martin Hannett, who calls them 'dancing music, with gothic overtones'. Unintentionally, Bernard Albrecht gave an excellent description of 'gothic' in our interview, when describing his favourite film 'Nosferatu'. 'The atmosphere is really evil, but you feel comfortable inside it'."

The article goes on to describe JD as "20th century gothic".

"PETE MURPHY: I know that Bauhaus presumably started what the critics coined the "gothic" genre in 1979 with "Bela Lugosi's Dead," but goth was a myth dreamt up by journalists sometime back in the '80s to describe Bauhaus, Joy Division, Iggy's vocal vibe on The Idiot, and so on. The music was often unaccomplished, but made up for it with a kind of transcendent quality." - NME, 1983

So unless you're arguing that we shouldn't call JD and Bauhaus gothic because the members themselves didn't embrace the genre fully, you're fucking wrong.

Do not fuck with me on the music that I grew up on. I will rape you.

thank you for your definition, i agree with you, a lot of people will not understand the origins of the term and could easily get confused into thinking something entirely different when 'goth' is thrown around (similarly 'emo').

I do agree with the 'artists' on this one though, as soon as the term came in to popular use then the bands that the term had been used to describe had moved on from what was a small part of what made them. In my experience a lot of the 'goths' clung to these bands when they had long since moved on from that idea. End period Bauhuas is an example, NO from JD, the difference is obvious yet the tag stuck.

As for fucking with you on the music you grew up on, so did i, saw all of these bands and still listen to them occasionally. So i'm not, i still have great respect for what they did, but its in the past and as is the case, it's all about perspective, we can't be objective. I respect your view, i guess i'm arguing over filigree and shadows here, the broader picture is where i should be looking.

has "meat is murder" turned anyone into a vegetarian? it turned me into one. until i smelt the bacon fancifully frying the next morning.

me too. in high school.

i even wen tout and bought one of the bootleg t shirts at a local rock shop.

i used ot steal the cure records there, so i guess it worked out.

The only thing I don't like is the way that people the Smiths and Morrissey as interchangable. It's happened here where people argue their case for Morrissey but present Smiths tracks as their evidence.

I think his solo work is weaker but I don't think this is because he's lost anything. I think Morrissey is just as capable as a lyricist and singer, it's just that you need the rest of the band (and therefore the music of the Smiths as a whole) to turn something good into something great.

Like Carl said, "Its about the sum of the parts."

Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People includes a decent chapter on the Smiths/Morrissey. It has more to do with current latino fans then music, but its interesting.

Wouldn't recomend you buy the book, but its worth getting at the library.

For you fans, the Smith Party at Sway (nyc) has been going strong for 2+ years. By far its the best Sunday party.

• 2 months later...