morrissey?

lilfan

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because there is a light that never goes out.

Digital has got it right exactly -- for a certain age group The Smiths were as influential as [insert group/artist here] are to you youngsters. Morrissey's solo material isn't quite up to Smiths' standards, but hey, you take what you can get right? ;)

PS didn't know Morrissey was particularly popular at the moment...?

The Smiths/Morrissey do have some amazing songs, namely "William, It Was Really Nothing," "This Charming Man," "Now My Heart Is Full," etc.

But the shit I have heard about how absurdly rude/cocky he is has turned me off from his music. I can't recall whom it was, but a band opening for him last year were told to "only speak to him when spoken to," etc. and voiced their disgust regarding his personality in NME.

Sure, the guy has made great music, but christ is he over-arrogant; not to mention his political commentaries are absolutely bum-fuckingly retarded. Example:

In America, it brought you the hamburger. Well America you know where, you can shove your hamburger.

Ha hah, what?

His early albums were amazing and The Smiths are one of my favorite bands, but I can't stand his last three albums. Not to mention that every time he is in the news he is whining his ass off about something or other. He has made himself a joke.

I always loved Robert Smith's (The Cure) quote: ""If Morrissey says don't eat meat, then I'll eat meat, because I hate Morrissey."

When we were dating, I used "Ask" as a segueway in conversation from moving my relationship from being friends to being more with my wife.

that's funny

the first thing my wife said to me when we met was "which is your favorite smiths album?"

i was buying a smiths book

i copped out and said "louder than bombs"

but "meat is murder" is my real answer

i think of "well i wonder" as our song as there were a number of obstacles that kept us apart...

When we were dating, I used "Ask" as a segueway in conversation from moving my relationship from being friends to being more with my wife.
that's funny

the first thing my wife said to me when we met was "which is your favorite smiths album?"

i was buying a smiths book

i copped out and said "louder than bombs"

but "meat is murder" is my real answer

i think of "well i wonder" as our song as there were a number of obstacles that kept us apart...

You guys must all be old geezers!

I think a lot of us older board members have a soft spot for him. He represented our pain and loathing through our formative years.

I wouldn't consider myself an older member, but this is the same reason that The Smiths is one of my favorite bands. I relate to a lot of Morrissey's lyrics.

Apparently it's about Johnny Marr or so I've heard. The guitar in that song is incredible by the way. One of my favorite guitar riffs of all time.

too bad johnny marr joined the fucking modest mouse :[

also i was under the impression that the moz was straight, just celebate

I feel in love for the first time when i was 13. My love interest was the first 4 seconds of "This Charming Man". Its still the best song ever in my eyes.

I love the Moz like ill love my first born.

That is the only song from Morrissey that doesn't make me want to murder him. The worst part is that my girlfriend fucking loves Morrissey, The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Train, and all those other diabolically terrible British whiney emo bullshit.

does any one ever wonder if "this charming man" is a form of expressing his sexuallity? i like the song...but can't help to wonder

I think in a round about way it is. I always interpreted it as song about an atractive, naive young british teen in the 1920's dealing with the realization that he is gay. Learning of this charming man and how he longs to be with him. Maybe he has had a short relationship with the charming man, i dont know. Its so simple yet so cryptic. Fuck. Its just good.

Most of his early work touches on the theme of homosexuality and the social pressures associated with it, "Hand In Glove", "Pretty Girls Make Graves", etc.

"I could have been wild and I could have

Been free

But Nature played this trick on me

She wants it now

And she will not wait

But she's too rough

And I'm too delicate"

also i was under the impression that the moz was straight, just celebate

No, Mr. Morrissey is about as gay as they come, celebate or not.

That is the only song from Morrissey that doesn't make me want to murder him. The worst part is that my girlfriend fucking loves Morrissey, The Smiths, Jesus and Mary Train, and all those other diabolically terrible British whiney emo bullshit.

I would normally be inclined to tell you your full of batshit, but ill refrain. Im guessing you havent given much of this stuff an honest listen. I would be more then willing to send you a few albums to hopefully change your mind and open your eyes to one of the greatest time periods in music history. Send me a PM if your interested.

np - Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

As much as I like Morrissey, Robert Smith and the Cure > Morrissey and the Smiths

I like the Cure as well, but I honestly think that there is no way you can say this as long as you have actually listened to at least one Smiths album the entire way through.

I mean honestly

Morrissey as a lyricist > Robert Smith as a Lyricist (No comparison here)

Johnny Marr's song writing and guitar > The Cure's song writing and guitar

and really I think that there is not much of a comparison between the two bands. The Cure had about one or two good albums, where as with the Smiths I could argue that they only had one or two bad songs.

And in terms of being influencial. The Smiths are probably the most influencial band of the past 25 years. They turned the entire indie scene into what it is today.