Apple iPhone

artificialsky

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

***hating in an artificialsky thread***

no 3g, no ichat, cingular, 600 bucks, yahoo mail.

OSX, Safari html rich browsing, virtual keypad+lock, proximity sensor, accelerometer (tilt detection ladscape portrait for pictures/video), 2 MP camera, bluetooth 2.0, 3.5" 160p screen

Safari html rich browsing

This is the only thing that really pisses me off. As someone who makes websites and is easing intro the mobile transition, it's already enough of a pain in the ass to design for Opera on phones but now dealing with Safari's fucked version of standards... this is gonna be painful.

This is the only thing that really pisses me off. As someone who makes websites and is easing intro the mobile transition, it's already enough of a pain in the ass to design for Opera on phones but now dealing with Safari's fucked version of standards... this is gonna be painful.

Sounds like there should be no reason why Opera wouldn't work on it. It has OS X. I'm hopeful, but I'm in the shallow end of a 2 year contract with Verizon right now. Maybe the 2nd gen.

Then whats this thing?

Fake mock-up... one of dozens.

this is gonna be painful.

If this stripped down mobile OS X doesn't allow other web browser apps, we will have a problem.

I hope their claim of desktop app functionality really comes through, for more freedom of choice in apps.

Sounds like there should be no reason why Opera wouldn't work on it. It has OS X. I'm hopeful, but I'm in the shallow end of a 2 year contract with Verizon right now. Maybe the 2nd gen.

It's more of a question of having to design for both. If the majority of people are using Safari off the bat w/ this phone, we have to fix Safari :(

wooow that thing is cool. i woke up this morning to my uber excited friend yelling in my ear about how fucking cool the iphone was and how i had to wake up and check it out and i must say im impressed, although i probably wont be using one at least until the 2nd gen

You guys realize how big this thing is, right? Like 50% larger than a Treo. Thanks, but I'll wait until I don't need a man-purse to carry this thing around.

Mac fanboys have the ability to ignore that image when posted. Reality Distortion Field is fucking with my head right now.

Interesting seeing that comparison with treo on size. I haven't seen that yet. I will most likely be checking this out when it arrives as I have been waiting for a new phone/pda/smart phone and using a mac every day for work persuades my decision even more (and I use Cingular).

It is a tad bit expensive even with a 2year contract, but I guess that's what you have to pay for when you're an early adopter.

I don't know where you got those dimensions, but these are straight from the specs on the apple site..

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

http://www.apple.com/iphone/technology/specs.html

It sucks that it doesn't have a built in iSight with iChat video capabilities, but this could be another level of fcc clearance as it opens up a world of issues. I was hoping for that tho. The fact it has built in wifi means it will be a short matter of time before someone writes an app to enable it to do VOIP when in network range, thus possible to only use cell phone minutes when out of wifi range. It also means no need for a data package. Just air time. That would kick ass.

I don't know where you got those dimensions, but these are straight from the specs on the apple site..

Dimensions 4.5 x 2.4 x 0.46 inches / 115 x 61 x 11.6mm

If that is in fact the case, then my bad. Maybe some bad rumors going around.

I was pretty certain that the bare minimum specs for my next phone would include 3G and a hardware QWERTY keyboard, but as mentioned above, Job's RDF is in full effect and I'm seriously lusting after this (at least, until I see what the rumored Nokia E90 Communicator looks like come 3GSM). The one thing I am interested in finding out is how 'full' the version of OS X it reportedly runs is: Will it be open to 3rd party apps (and not just widgets)? Will they have to be totally recompiled to run?. The implementation of Safari, SMS, IM, iTunes and photo management look great, but on a $500+ smartphone I also want to know I will be able to install apps for editing documents and spreadsheets, running a VNC client or an emulator and reading eBooks.

In a lot of ways, this really is the 2nd coming of the Newton. Love how they referred to it as the 'Jesus phone' on Gizmodo...