Recommend me some brit rock

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait wait wait... Robbie Williams? A typo? an error? surely?

Add Manic Street Preachers and The Verve.

robbie williams, in any britpop history, will always be mentioned. he turned it into pure pop. not a typo in the least.

Dude!? No...

The Smiths?

New Order?

The Fall?

Mekons?

The Wedding Present?

XTC?

i said, feel free to add. good additions carl.

edit:

more to add:

massive attack

tricky

Guest itsmeJT
Dude!? No...

The Smiths?

New Order?

The Fall?

Mekons?

The Wedding Present?

XTC?

I assure you that I am the book of fate. Questions are my enemies. For my questions explode! Answers leap up like a frightened flock, blackening the sky of my inescapable memories. Not one answer, not one suffices. What prisms flash when I enter the terrible fields of my past. I am a chip of shattered flint enclosed in a box. The box gyrates and quakes. I am tossed about in a storm of mysteries. And when the box opens, I return to this presence like a stranger in a primitive land.

robbie williams, in any britpop history, will always be mentioned. he turned it into pure pop. not a typo in the least.

what a load of shit. his music is embarassing, derivative shite. you're doing a disservice to many of the fine, fine bands listed by mentioning that geezer in the same breath.

i wouldn't quite call robbie williams great british music..

what a load of shit. his music is embarassing, derivative shite. you're doing a disservice to many of the fine, fine bands listed by mentioning that geezer in the same breath.

i wouldn't quite call robbie williams great british music..

fair enough, but he's a big enough musical footnote to insert in that list. i dont love him, never will buy his albums, but he was partly responsible for the change in british music at the time, as much as he did ride the coattails of almost everybody, especially the gallagher brothers.

i think the definition of "britpop" (a lame-ass term itself, as are most other tags used by british press to define a 'genre') has been expanded to include pretty much everything from the look of it.

i think the definition of "britpop" (a lame-ass term itself, as are most other tags used by british press to define a 'genre') has been expanded to include pretty much everything from the look of it.

britpop only existed between 1994 (1993ish) and 1998 (199ish). it really only existed between Parklife (Blur) and This is Hardcore (Pulp)

that could obviously be argued, but Be Here Now (Oasis) and This is Hardcore sorta were a death knell for britpop as a whole

• 1 month later...

My best chick friend has a kid to a guy in this band. Are they still making records?

I'll say it again,...The Charlatans are one of the best British bands ever. Although "Simpatico" wasn't the bees knees, "Up at the Lake" and "Wonderland" are gems.

some average but listenable (to me at least haha!) bands:

stereophonics

doves

ocean colour scene

idlewild

feeder

turin brakes

aqualung

starsailor

the following artists have either not been mentioned at all, or deserve another mention:

elvis costello (esp. "and the attractions")

billy bragg

the jam

the clash

wire

the smiths

pulp (incl. jarvis solo)

XTC

supergrass

roxy music

joy division

new order

blur

the stone roses

tom vek

test icicles

siouxsie and the banshees

the arctic monkeys

bloc party

the following should not have been mentioned at all:

the fratellis

bands which are not from britain

babyshambles

snow patrol

razorlight

the long blondes

editors

etc.

^^i mentioned more than 50% of those bands pages back...

but i was focusing on the pre-2000's british music scene...

you did not, you managed to scrape together pulp, blur and the stone roses out of those 21 bands (14 of which are firmly wedged in the "pre-2000s british music scene", begrudgingly conceding XTC, new order and the smiths at somebody else's urging. six isn't more than 50% of 21 and "brit rock" is not shorthand for "britpop". not to mention the fact that nobody had mentioned siouxsie, elvis costello (though he's your avatar?), the jam (despite your recommending paul weller), billy bragg, the clash, or supergrass before i did. the others i can take or leave, i wasn't exactly expecting the cribs or test icicles to get the longest looks in.

further,

or deserve another mention

so even if you were right (which you aren't) it wouldn't mean a thing